The Sewing Place

Dyeing Yarn?

Missie

Dyeing Yarn?
« on: October 26, 2017, 08:19:00 AM »
I've been on the search for a while for 2 specific colours of yarn but cannot find it.  One is a burnt orange and the other a red-orange.  I am now thinking that I may have to have a go at dyeing it myself but how easy is it?  One would need to be an acrylic yarn (it is for a trim on a cardigan that I want to make) and the other, I haven't decided yet.  Has anyone dyed their own yarn?  Any tips,, pointers, advice to step away? 

Thanks,

b15erk

Re: Dyeing Yarn?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 08:47:18 AM »
Missie, have you tried Marriner yarns.  I was introduced to them by a friend, quality is great, and their service is excellent.  I bought the Cotton and the Cotton feel, and both are lovely, the colour range is a bit limited on the cotton. The rest of their range the colours range is wider, and I've seen a couple of orangey colours.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »
S do know it's harder to dye acrylic - take a look at this page for info

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/how_to_dye_acrylic.shtml

Missie

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 09:34:24 AM »
Hmm. Thanks ladies.  I'm going to have a rethink, methinks.  I bought this lovely petrol blue and just wanted a burnt orange trim on it.....looks like I'm going to have to rethink.

Thanks for that link Jessie, I'll have a look later.