The Sewing Place

Snapped Feed Dogs on Overlocker: help!

b15erk

Snapped Feed Dogs on Overlocker: help!
« on: October 27, 2017, 16:29:38 PM »
Managed to remove the frozen screw from my spare Riccar OL, and just went in to put it all together again.

Right on cue the feed dog mechanism feel in two pieces!  :S

I am devastated.  It's 30+ years old, and had no serious health problems.  I keep it at work as a spare machine, and it still serves a purpose, and is used quite often.

Does anyone know of a source of very old OL parts?  I've attached a picture, but don't hold out much hope.  :'(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sandra

Re: Snapped Feed Dogs on Overlocker: help!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 17:09:55 PM »
I'll be interested to see if anyone knows of somewhere who can help with this.

I bought my first overlocker in the mid 1980's from Littlewoods catalogue, and my feed dogs broke in two. Mine was an 'Artisan 300', and it served me very well indeed for about 25 years.

I half-heartedly Googled for replacement parts, gave up, and quickly bought a cheap one to replace it.
I've kept it, just in case I can ever get the parts.

Sandra.
xxx

arrow

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 18:30:15 PM »
I used google and found this. It looks like there's replacement cutting blades available too.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 18:53:26 PM by arrow »

Madame Cholet

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 19:02:47 PM »
Being an interested busybody, I just went on to the www.sewingpartsonline.com link given by arrow, and input my address etc just to see how much the shipping would be for those feed dogs to be delivered to the UK.

Turns out the shipping (- by USPS First Class International Service) would be $13.37, which when added to the price of the feed dogs which is $8.99, makes a grand total of $22.36.

Which when converted to pounds sterling equates to £17.05, for the feed dogs and delivery to a UK address.

HTH   8)

Holly Berry

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 19:46:40 PM »
I’ve used Sewing parts online, and found them very good. I was looking for Husqvarna overlocker blades, which everyone in the UK said were obsolete, SPO had them.
Procrastination get behind me

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 09:55:34 AM »
Thanks so much to everyone for the help on this - I have bookmarked all the websites.

I was browsing Helen Howes website last night, (she has a very pretty hemstitcher on there), and had a look on the off chance that she would have a suitable feed dog assembly.  Well, blow me down, it seems she has!

Sent a picture, she agreed it looked the same, and while I was on asked about a replacement upper blade.  She sent me a link, and I'm sure I can see a similar blade to mine there.  I've told her to send both.  The feed dogs are only £3, so no great loss if they are no good, but fingers crossed for the upper blade.

Sandra, I would try Helen first, she has quite a lot of feed dogs listed, and if it's an old machine like mine, you don't want to be spending a lot.  She is also trying to get rid of her OL supplies.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 10:12:04 AM »
That is wonderful news Jessie! Helen Howes is indeed a one woman wonder  :angel:

arrow

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 16:07:40 PM »
It's nice to be loyal to people like Helen Howes and her husband who bothers about vintage machines. It would not be the same with out them. If she has what you need nothing is better. I don't think you should hesitate to buy small items from the US Jessie, in the long run £10 more or less should not stop you for a repair that's worth it.

Sandra

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 17:42:54 PM »
Thank you for that!

I've bookmarked the site for future reference.

Sounds like a bargain, b15erk...hope your new parts fit.

Sandra.
xxx

arrow

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 18:07:05 PM »
Sandra, I looked up your model too but I couldn't find anything on first attempt. Helen Howes havs stuff not listed on her sites so it's worth contacting. I guess that's true for repair shops in general, both new and used parts will usually turn up with some time and effort.