The Sewing Place

Tartan/check coat, Vogue 8933 or Butterick 6497...

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Tartan/check coat, Vogue 8933 or Butterick 6497...
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2017, 17:45:05 PM »
Another lovely one!  And no, I don't think sleeves do really matter after all!

Fabric Lover

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 07:36:26 AM »
Excited to see this as I’ve just started a tartan coat, well a 3/4 length coat. I think mine is a simpler pattern than yours though, although more seams to match!  :S
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 08:41:55 AM »
Fronts and backs put together, the princess seams are pretty good, the centre back isn't too bad (although I need to take it in above the waist, it seems to hang from the shoulders), the side seams I completely forgot about when cutting out and of course they don't match at all.  One of the sleeve seams matches (the front underarm), but the back seam doesn't.  I stopped sewing last after I'd unpicked about three seams to re-sew  :S
Today is setting in the sleeves, and then cutting out the lining - which involves clearing all my sewing stuff and machine off the table to use it for cutting   :(
It'll be great when it's finished I'm sure  :)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 16:31:04 PM »
I've now got the sleeves in - which I don't particularly like the feel of, I hate things that restrict my movement, but I think that's the nature of coat sleeves.  The front is a bit wide across the chest, so a little "foldy" by the armholes, not ideal, but not a lot I can do about it now.  The fabric was becoming a nightmare, as it's starting to fall apart at the edges, so I've quickly sewn the under collar on while there's still some seam allowance!  It also meant I couldn't see most of the notches on the sleeves and my chalky pen thing would mark the fabric either, so had to bodge the sleeves in.
The worst bit of it is, now I've tried it on, I feel like I'm wearing a tartan dressing gown  :(
It's quite long at the moment, once I've got it lined I'll shorten it to above the knee and it'll maybe look better, but currently I'm not feeling any love for it   :S :(

Tamnymore

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 17:09:22 PM »
Oh dear, B&S, some fabrics don't half fray. Don't fall out of love with it yet, though. The final press can make a lot of difference in terms of losing the dressing gown look. Thinking positive tartany thoughts for you!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

toileandtrouble

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 17:10:29 PM »
Do you have an overlocker? I use mine on awkward fabrics to make the pieces easy to handle. Even the tops of curtains that will later be folded inside the tape.  Of course, you have to mark with tailor tacks or marker in the seam allowances after you 've done it, but it's worth it.  It's a lovely feeling when it's been tamed!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 18:40:50 PM »
Do you have an overlocker? I use mine on awkward fabrics to make the pieces easy to handle. Even the tops of curtains that will later be folded inside the tape.  Of course, you have to mark with tailor tacks or marker in the seam allowances after you 've done it, but it's worth it.  It's a lovely feeling when it's been tamed!
Great idea, I do have an overlocker, and the next lot of coat fabric will be overlocked!  It wasn't too bad until I got to the armholes and sleeve heads, those curved edges were falling apart.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2017, 08:55:51 AM »
Right, I've decided, it's being unpicked!  Only part of it, I hasten to add, just the front princess seams to make it fit across my chest, it is just too big and it's a shame to spoil it.  Unfortunately, the seams are topstitched and overlocked, so more than a bit of unpicking.

Ellabella

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2017, 09:36:42 AM »
We feel your pain.  Unpicking is soul destroying esp on fraying fabric, but still be worth it in the end I'm sure ;)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2017, 12:39:10 PM »
And I changed my mind again!!  I marked the centre fronts, tried it on again, and decided I could overlap it a tad more and then it wouldn't be too bad, and would save all that unpicking and fraying!  Lining is now attached to the outer, just pausing for coffee and biscuits before trimming seams and and top stitching edges.  Then I have to decide on the length...

UttaRetch

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2017, 17:09:10 PM »
All that unpicking sounded mightmarish, I am glad you have found a way out.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2017, 09:57:56 AM »
I made buttons last night - not sure they are big enough, 23mm, but they'll do.

Tamnymore

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2017, 10:41:04 AM »
Lovely buttons, Bodgey!  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »
I dragged Dolly out the bath again...
I think I may not have the best figure to show off this style of coat... but never mind!
I'm about to do the buttonholes, then I need to pin it up much shorter I think, it's a bit old fashioned that long.  I really must stop searching on t'interweb for lampshades and get sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2017, 13:22:13 PM »
Blimey, this is a fast make and I look forward to seeing it finished.  It took me six weeks' to make one of my coats.  :(