The Sewing Place

The Official Winter Glitz Sewalong

Francesca

The Official Winter Glitz Sewalong
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »
Prepping for Christmas parties, New Year's Eve and more with this formal/glitzy/fancy outfit competition. Sew a garment worthy of a festive fiesta!

Introduction
In this competition you can produce any type of sewn garment. For example: dresses, jackets, skirts, trousers, shirts etc. The only rule I'm going to put in place on it is that it must have a formal or sparkly or otherwise occasion-wear feel. That's a bit of a loose rule, so make your own mind on whether it fits in. E.g, it might be a nice glitzy t-shirt to wear to a work do or it might be a ball gown! But please nothing that is just an every day sort of garment.

Dates
The competition will run from Saturday 11th November - Sunday 10th December. You have until 23.59 on the 10th to complete.

Rules
Your garment must include some element that we can consider as "winter glitz". That doesn't mean it has to have sparkles, it's a more loose meaning of getting dressed up for something special. Even if it's just a festive night out at the pub, but of course we'd encourage you to use this opportunity to make some gorgeous outfits! Please be reasonable in your selection so as to be fair to your other sewalong participants.

Your item must be sewn. No knitted garments or upcycles.

You MUST NOT cut your fabric until 11th November. You may construct a toile prior to cutting your fabric.

You must post at least 5 times in this thread to qualify. Please be involved and post updates! However posts in-thread do not constitute your entry. They are simply for enjoyment and participation. You will need to submit your project as below.

You must submit THREE pictures; one of your uncut materials, one of mid-construction, one of the finished item as a whole. (These pics needs to be submitted at the end, so they don't have to be posted in-thread unless you want to share).

How To Enter
Please send your finished make pictures (three required, as above) to sewalongs@thesewingplace.org.uk by the deadline, along with a title and short description of the project and how it went (no more than about 300 words please).

How To Win
Winners will be chosen by public vote.

Prizes
All winners receive a very special TSP Winners badge and forum badge. Runners-up will receive a special virtual forum badge.

UttaRetch

Re: The Official Winter Glitz Sewalong
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 14:00:08 PM »
It just so happens that I was going to suggest the very same idea for a sewalong.  Still not sewing, but hope that people will give this a go.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 19:23:17 PM »
Should I be ashamed my life is so boring I have no need of winter glitz or for that matter any other type of glitz. |O

Looking forward to seeing what those with more exciting lives produce

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 21:22:26 PM »
I'm still considering entering this one (I won't officially enter just play along). Not sure whether to though, I have so many other things I want to sew that are not remotely glitzy. But I've really really wanted a tartan 50s dress for Christmas for soooo long so I might make that. I'll wear it on Christmas morning (and then we switch to comfies after dinner).

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 21:55:31 PM »
I've just ordered this https://www.myfabrics.co.uk/81-poso-f17-018_lurex-checks-jacket-fabric-turquoise.html which is definitely glitzy - all the red bits have lurex in (maybe the pic below of the sample shows it a bit?)  It's going to be a coat though, so will it be eligible for this, with all its glittery bits?

Edit - better add that pic!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 22:05:45 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 22:28:24 PM »
Don't see why not! Love the sparkly threads

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 10:24:56 AM »
Don't see why not! Love the sparkly threads
Good job I've got til the 11th to get other stuff sewn!

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 11:20:16 AM »
I have some red tartan flannel PJs with glittery threads in them ...Love 'em!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 16:19:07 PM »
Ok, it's past  the 11th November, time to make a start on this  :)
I have yet to decide on the pattern for my sparkly tartan, and which lining fabric, I think the blue rather than the red, and I think V1494 on the right, but not sure yet!

Syrinx

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 17:11:09 PM »
I've found a bunch of harris tweed in a box that I was struggling to think of something for. Might have a chat with my sailor friend and see if we can come up with an idea. It's interesting tweed, not really everyday wear so might enter this! Depends on what I can come up with.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone makes!

If I had more cash I'd be making another hooded winter cloak, but an exciting one rather than the black wool I made a few years ago!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 11:25:20 AM »
Well. that's the V8933 pattern out the window - it's far too "straight-up-and-down", no way that's going round my hips without completely changing the shape of the coat, and I can't be bothered!  I have now dragged all my coat patterns out (most, if not all, of them untested!) and will peruse them for a while.

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 11:28:52 AM »
I hear you.  I have hips as wide as all outdoors and a butt that sticks out nearly as much. 0_0

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 20:23:44 PM »
Pattern choice made, Vogue 1494 ( https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1494 ), with blue lining.  All cut out now, and I decided to do some pieces on the bias - just the top back yoke section and the undersleeves, not too much.  I also decided to do away with some of the seams to ease the pattern matching, so the upper front pieces and the back pieces have become one - the seam had so little shaping I don't think (or hope!) it will matter.  I've also done away with the lower centre back seam.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 18:23:54 PM »
I'm getting better at side seams...

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 19:43:18 PM »
Isn't anyone else going to do this?  I'm feeling awfully lonely over here, I'm going to need this coat to keep me warm in this cold corner of TSP.