The Sewing Place

The Official Winter Glitz Sewalong

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: The Official Winter Glitz Sewalong
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2017, 19:01:17 PM »
And the finished pic - or at least I thought it was finished, note the right sleeve lining still hanging down!  It's not a very flattering pic, it really does look better in real life!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 19:07:56 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

fajita

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2017, 20:40:40 PM »
Nicely done.

Tamnymore

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2017, 22:34:19 PM »
That's fab Bodgey.  I haven't even started!!  :S
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Tamnymore

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2017, 12:11:26 PM »
Talking of getting on with it. I finally started to pin out the pattern pieces on my pieces of silk. I think the trick is to find large enough pieces for the biggest pattern pieces. The right back is the biggest pattern piece so it is going to be cut from my largest bit of silk - a polka dot burnt orange. I want to use a really jazzy piece on the upper fronts so I'm cheating a bit by not cutting one of the pieces on the straight grain - there I've told you but maybe you wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't said. I'm trying to stick to the orange/yellow/burnt orange fabric to try to give a unifying theme. I fear I may have lost a wee pattern piece - but if it doesn't turn up I can recreate it from the version I made a year or two ago.

Iminei

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »
Looooving the cute jousting fabric ...What on earth is it ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Tamnymore

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2017, 13:11:34 PM »
All this silk came from various silk sales at Adamley, the silk printer, just outside Macclesfield. They print for companies like Turnbull and Asser. I think that this piece is likely to be part of a scarf. Other pieces are from kerchief panels and some are twills probably intended for ties. I do have a whole scarf panel in yellow which I possibly won't sacrifice to this project (so it can stay as a scarf panel for a few more years!)

Starryfish

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2017, 13:40:43 PM »
I'd like to join in my first sewalong here.
I have a WI Christmas party next Wednesday,and a dinner between Christmas and New Year to dress for.

I bought some silver pleated jersey, and black pleated jersey from Fabric Godmother, and have a long piece of black and silver devore jersey in my stash. The plan is for a top from the silver pleated and a skirt from the black, with a long cardigan from the devore over the top and skirt. I can't stand the cold, and the WI meet in a Village hall!

I cut out the top and skirt yesterday, so will try sewing them up this afternoon. Will try for a photo of the fabric , but light levels are bad this time of year.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Francesca

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2017, 13:41:28 PM »
Yay, another contender!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2017, 15:19:11 PM »
I don't know if this belongs here, or in Face your phobias.  I have altered and repaired jersey garments many times, but not sewed anything in it except nightwear before.  There is no sparkle.  The black, grey and red I fell in love with at Fabworks, but haven't dared use yet.  I think the pattern will be good for it.  The red is a heavyish cotton jersey, well matured in the stash.  Probably it will be a straight skirt and a longline cardigan. No pattern yet, but could copy something I already have. It should be reasonably quick, since it is mostly on the overlocker.  Is that too ambitious in the time?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

UttaRetch

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2017, 17:03:35 PM »
A few years' ago, I had a ready to wear top in a lovely 'dark' yellow very like that pattern.  Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Tamnymore

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2017, 17:17:51 PM »
Have cut out my top now. Unifying colours are a deep orange (almost red) and blue. I sacrificed a lovely orange and paisley scarf panel to the project but I have a gazillion scarves and may never have got round to using it. It looks redder than it is in the pic.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2017, 17:19:49 PM »
Today opened the pattern, traced the front and did an FBA. Next up is cutting out, probably not the best fabric to start on.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2017, 21:04:40 PM »
And - pieces cut out - and rest.  The tension in the room was palpable, I might as well have been defusing a bomb.  I tried with my rotary cutter and mat.  The jersey was well behaved and sat nicely under the tins of tuna.  I succeeded in making a dotted,dashed line suitable for following with scissors, which worked well. Getting the feel of the pressure needed now but for the sleeves I settled for taut cutting (like taut sewing but working the opposite way, holding the fabric down tightly and cutting carefully an inch at a time with my serrated scissors). Tomorrow is testing the stitching on the scraps.

Starryfish

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2017, 22:05:45 PM »
I finished the top and skirt this afternoon!
The top is Style Arc Maxine which is designed for ready pleated jersey. It is a maxi dress so I cut the pattern at the hip. All you have to do is sew the shoulders and side seams. The neck , armholes and hemline are unfinished. The shoulder seams gave me trouble, and I ended up sewing them by hand as my machine wouldn't cope with the pleats.

The skirt is just two straight lengths of fabric; I sewed up the side seams and added a 1 inch wide elastic strip to the top. The hem is unfinished.
I'll wait until I have made up the cardigan before deciding on the final length of the skirt and top.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 22:08:41 PM by Starryfish »
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2017, 19:33:57 PM »
"I sacrificed a lovely orange and paisley scarf panel to the project "
Tamnymore, this sounds lovely, I would never be bold enough to do that.
Lost Sunday to unexpected visitors, but just about finished the top.  It's come out quite long and I think I could have made the back a size smaller but, hey, better than the High Street (for me anyway) Got to get the camera out next and then make a start on the cardigan.