The Sewing Place

Recommended online fabric shops

Diane

Re: Recommended online fabric shops
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2017, 11:46:17 AM »
For anyone still looking for some Japanese fabrics for the sewalong, try Japan Crafts.

http://www.japancrafts.co.uk/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Katie sources the fabric herself in Japan, and her prices are excellent, as the postage charges.
Highly recommended.

What beautiful fabrics  :P it makes me want to do a Japanese quilt  :loveit:, will definitely be buying some FQ from here, thanks for the link.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Acorn

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2018, 20:05:28 PM »
I just wanted to add Elephant in my Handbag to recommended online fabric shops.

I found them when googling for cotton lawn, ordered a piece on Sunday night and they phoned me first thing on Monday morning because there was a query over my address (which meant that I had the pleasure of receiving a call saying 'Hello, I'm calling from the elephant in my handbag.'   :D )  Delivery was £1.50 for first class (this was just a metre of fabric) and I received it on Tuesday morning. 

The fabric is gorgeous - as good quality lawn as I have ever seen or felt, and was £10.25 for a metre.

A big tick in every box!

[Edited to add one small niggle - some fabrics are priced by the metre, some by the half metre, and some by the fat quarter.  The info is there, but maybe not always as blatant as I would like.]
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 20:08:41 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Marniesews

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2018, 21:50:32 PM »
@Efemera & @So Chic, you both posted last year on here about So Sew English Fabrics which, rather confusingly, is an American shop.

I just wondered if you've come across the UK fb group So Sew English Fabrics UK Edition (a closed group so you have to request to join). They have a system for ordering using a group US address which then gets forwarded to UK at a cheaper delivery cost. I've not ordered myself but thought you might be interested.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

So Chic

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 09:04:06 AM »
@Efemera & @So Chic, you both posted last year on here about So Sew English Fabrics which, rather confusingly, is an American shop.

I just wondered if you've come across the UK fb group So Sew English Fabrics UK Edition (a closed group so you have to request to join). They have a system for ordering using a group US address which then gets forwarded to UK at a cheaper delivery cost. I've not ordered myself but thought you might be interested.

Thanks for the information and I will check it out on my return home.  We’re on the Isle of Man for a few days before returning to our narrowboat which is currently moored in Liverpool Docks and then cruising back to our home mooring.  I’m planning a visit to Calico Laine while in Liverpool and hope I’ve enough space to stash anything I might buy.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

b15erk

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 09:16:26 AM »
SC, if you are landing in Liverpool, a short train journey will take you to my local fabric shop in St Helens.  The shop is a short walk from the station.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 10:35:10 AM »
@So Chic  Don't forget about Abakhan in Liverpool - it might be easier to get to than Calico Laine.

If you are using public transport, an all area Saveaway for a day would get you to Calico Laine, Abakhan and St Helens. Unfortunately, Liverpool Lime Street station is closed at the moment and there are no direct trains to St Helens until 11 June.

[If you were to get a Saveaway, paper tickets can still be bought from the main ticket office at Lime Street, saving you the £1 charge for a Walrus card if you were to buy from Merseytravel ticket offices.]

Marniesews

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 13:27:58 PM »
I’m planning a visit to Calico Laine while in Liverpool and hope I’ve enough space to stash anything I might buy.

I very much enjoyed visiting their big store in Neston en route to a visit to Lancashire a couple of years ago but I don't know how easy it will be by public transport as it's on a trading estate (Clayhill Ind Est) rather than in the shopping area.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Marniesews

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 13:46:37 PM »
@So Chic , their shop in Liscard is too far to walk from the Birkenhead ferry terminal but you can get there on the 409 bus (half hour ride) from the Woodside Interchange in front of the ferry terminal.   :D

Do let us know if you manage to get there.

Just sent you a pm with info of a shorter bus journey from Seacombe ferry. My dh is so quick to find things like this.  :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 13:59:39 PM by Marniesews »

So Chic

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2018, 16:07:19 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions in Liverpool.  I managed to visit Calico Laine (Liscard) but the Neston shop seemed more difficult to reach by bus.  I will try to visit the shop in St.Helens but we’re due to leave on Friday and have several things planned over the next few days.  I have my bus pass and am moored by the Liverpool One bus station so no problems with transport.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Gernella

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2018, 13:12:00 PM »
I'm a big fan of ClothSpot.  They don't have an enormous range and they tend to sell out quick.  I got an email last Friday and by the time I decided I'd better buy they were down to only just over 3 meters.  They do have some nice stuff in though.  Another one is Fabric Godmother, again not a large range but good enough for me.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

crafter

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2018, 12:50:33 PM »
What an interesting thread.  I have bookmarked everything and will peruse next time I can't sleep.  But, of course, I won't order anything. ;)

Nerys

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2018, 13:33:58 PM »
Quilt cotton fabrics and muslin I like buying from EQuilter in the USA. They have reasonable shipping worldwide on small orders. I have been ordering many years from them they have beautiful fabrics of good quality. :)

Topstitched

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2018, 20:00:17 PM »
I like this online shop, Patterns and Plains,  it’s specifically aimed at dressmaking.

https://patternsandplains.com

New and a relatively small fabric range at the moment but the owner used to work in the industry and makes her own clothes, as a result she really knows her stuff.
What makes it different is that there are videos of the fabrics so you can see the drape and the scale of any print.

Also  you can order in small increments of fabric eg 1.7m  - you’re not limited to whole or half metres. Handy if you don’t want to be left with any surplus or if you just want a small amount for colourblocking or a trim.

Morgan

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2019, 18:22:37 PM »
Material Magic

They were at the Harrogate K & S show last November and had some fabulous fabrics on the stall that no-one else had brought.
It was a pleasure to to see and buy fabrics that are current season rather than a year or so behind and they had some beautiful and interesting denim style and chambray fabrics.

Anyway their ebay shop is Material Magic 1
and
the Bricks and mortar (just take a look around the store photos)
1-3, Odeon Arcade, Leicester LE1 5GF

Currently my first call places are The Textile Centre, Material Magic and Fabworks.  (Even Rosenbergs (at the shows) has slipped down the list).

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 13:48:11 PM by Acorn »

Sara-S

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2019, 12:55:15 PM »
My online suppliers are US based. But since I assume there are other US posters here, I will add them.  I get most of my fabric from www.Joann.com.. I also use www.spoonflower.com and www.theoldcountrystore.com.

My favorite source for quilting and embroidery thread is www.superiorthreads.com
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 12:57:21 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.