The Sewing Place

Recommended online fabric shops

Tamnymore

Re: Recommended online fabric shops
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2019, 16:07:56 PM »
I'm sure that they have been mentioned already somewhere on here but a big round of applause for www.fabric.com . I was first alerted to their loveliness by some fabulous black eyelet fabric (broderie anglaise) that @Manuela got from them - she had spotted that it was the same as some eyelet on Marcy Tilton's site but much cheaper. I ordered 5 yards from them in the summer. It came super quick and no customs charges. And very yummy it is too.

In their recent sale they had packs of 20 fat quarters of Kaffe Fassett fabrics at $25 +pp. Even with the postage ($19.50) a little research convinced me that this was much cheaper than I'd get in the UK even if I did pay customs charges. It works out at the equivalent of $7 a yard. I ordered the first pack on a Friday and it arrived the following Thursday. Having seen how nice this was, I ordered a second pack in a different colour way on Friday at 4.30pm and it arrived today (Monday) at 3pm. I could have saved postage by buying the two packs together but then I would have been much more likely to attract customs charges and I wanted to see what they were like first. They post using UPS and the tracking shows your little package leaving Philadelphia Airport then arriving at East Midlands Airport a few hours later. I must admit it isn't a very green way to buy your fabric as two flights are involved - but their plane from Philadelphia presumably carries other parcels not just my little packet.  :D

I'm afraid they do seem to have stopped selling these particular packs now but the website is definitely worth checking from time to time as there is loads of lovely stuff there.. And, no I haven't joined the Dark Side (well maybe slightly  ;) ) - I have some wearable art and other household projects in mind.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2019, 16:26:05 PM »
I’ve had some nice stuff from them before @Tamnymore and not got caught for customs charges.  Must say I haven’t looked lately. 
Anyone ordered from Mood Fabrics?

Manuela

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2019, 00:15:48 AM »
Fabric.com have some nice non-pilling ponte knits as well

Medium to heavy weight
Telio Jockey Ponte

Medium weight
Telio Ponte Leggero

I’ve ordered from Moods Fabrics, I find their website clunky and it can take 4-6 weeks for the fabric to arrive. Customer service isn’t that grand either. Last time it took them a week to tell me that something I ordered wasn’t actually available.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 00:18:09 AM by Manuela »

Nevis5

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2019, 07:42:39 AM »
Gosh I haven't ordered from fabric.com for years!  They were some of the first online shops I'd ever used.  But I think the last package I got from them was caught for vast customs charges and then the fabric was a bit rubbishy when I opened it (probably my fault).  So I haven't bothered buying again from them, I am trying to restrict my online purchases to UK or European sites only.  Although I love Emmaonesock's fabrics, they are amazing (but, customs charges...) x

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2019, 09:49:45 AM »
That's a shame about Mood @Manuela as they have some fab stuff.
@Nevis5 yes Emmaonesock has some lovely stuff too.  Wish we had access to some of the lovely stuff they can get. 

Tamnymore

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2019, 13:12:19 PM »
I think you were a bit unlucky @Nevis5 . The 3 parcels I've bought from fabric.com have all been over the customs limit (£18) and none have attracted charges. They would still have been worthwhile with the additional charges although it's nice not to pay any more@ I can find no customs docket on the UPS parcels (unlike ordinary post where there is usually something to indicate the value).

Clareew

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2020, 13:15:20 PM »
The customs limit is now £15.  I have had to pay £3 duty and £8 handling charge for the post office on a free pattern for a Craftsy course send from the USA.  I think my local area must be quite hot on things in that one time the exchange rate changed between me ordering and goods arriving and the amount was 20p over the limit so I had to pay the full £11.

Apricot

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2020, 13:32:29 PM »
Funki Fabrics are brilliant for a huge range of quality lycras. They also have fabulous quality Meryl.
sew long and prosper

Ellabella

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2020, 17:25:35 PM »
I have just discovered https://www.stitchandknitbits.co.uk/

I was looking for interfacing and found them on eBay but in future will go direct to their website.

They have a good wide range and the prices seem reasonable, the interfacing came in individual bags with leaflets showing the fusing instructions.

There is free 2nd class postage and other postage options.

Off for a browse.

Greybird

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2021, 11:42:54 AM »
I have just received fabric I ordered from this Ebay seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/bellose-fabrics

The fabric is lovely and it came very quickly. Prices are excellent.

Puzzler

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2021, 12:35:02 PM »
Just found this Ebay shop. Haven't tried them but they seem to have a lot of nice prints - many John Lewis and Liberty designs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/fabricmarket?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Some seriously gorgeous fabrics here! :loveit: I had to stop after the tenth page. I could feel my heart rate increasing.

Pearl

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2021, 13:35:27 PM »
During the first lockdown, I wasted whiled away many a happy hour watching Abbie Anne Patchwork's wittering videos on YouTube.  This led to joining her Facebook group and to making several purchases from her online shop.   Yesterday at 11am, I made a purchase which has arrived this morning. 

https://abbieanne.com

Tamnymore

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2021, 13:53:31 PM »
Just looking back over this thread and noting that I was singing the praises of fabric.com over a year ago. I had an email from them a few weeks ago to say that they no longer ship to the UK.

grannysyb

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2021, 20:00:07 PM »
I have just managed to order two lengths of linen from myfabrics.co.uk, I think that they must have decided  to ship to the  UK again.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2021, 20:14:53 PM »
I looked at their site but I am waiting to find out how the customs charges and taxes will add up before I order.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m