The Sewing Place

Is there a site to view all patterns?

Sewbee

Is there a site to view all patterns?
« on: October 30, 2017, 11:14:24 AM »
Even though I can't sew yet, I can certainly start looking for patterns to make tops, tunics, pants and leggings. there isn't a single store with the big pattern catalogues near me. I'd have to go the other side of the city. :( I seem to remember there was a website that had all commercial patterns on view but I can't remember it's name. Does anyone know?

In addition, is there a website that has all the independent pattern companies' patterns?

Once I've chosen/bought some patterns I can do the good part - shop for fabric!!  :devil:

PS. I've just noticed the child board for patterns and fitting. Please move this post if it belongs there.

Sewbee

Re: Is there a site to view all patterns?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »
Although it's not the site I was thinking of, I just found http://www.sewdirect.com for commercial patterns. I am half way there  ;)

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 11:43:44 AM »
Not really, as normally not all pattern companies sell on the same retail sites. There is PatternReview which has quite a lot though. I'm personally a fan of Jaycotts for purchasing patterns but they don't do Simplicity or Burda.

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »
There is www.simplicitynewlook.com for Simplicity, New Look and Burda. There are half price sales on one or other pattern companies from time to time and it is definitely worth waiting for these to  come round, especially for Vogue patterns which are the most expensive. At the moment, McCalls is 1/2 price as is Simplicity. These sales are UK-wide so you will find them in shops that stock pattens  not just online.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewbee

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 11:58:44 AM »
Not really, as normally not all pattern companies sell on the same retail sites. There is PatternReview which has quite a lot though. I'm personally a fan of Jaycotts for purchasing patterns but they don't do Simplicity or Burda.

Thanks, Francesca. I do use PR for reviews but never thought to look at patterns there.

The site I was thinking of is http://www.sewingpatterns.com. It's an American site but still good for viewing them. I just remembered it about a minute ago.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »
Jaycotts do have Simplicity and Burda, maybe they didn't used to?  I use Jaycotts for patterns too, only £1.50 postage, free over £25.

Sewbee

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 12:08:13 PM »
There is www.simplicitynewlook.com for Simplicity, New Look and Burda. There are half price sales on one or other pattern companies from time to time and it is definitely worth waiting for these to  come round, especially for Vogue patterns which are the most expensive. At the moment, McCalls is 1/2 price as is Simplicity. These sales are UK-wide so you will find them in shops that stock pattens  not just online.

Thank you. Very good to know. I didn't know about that site and that the sales there are UK-wide. That's brilliant!

I just had a look at PR's patterns. What a selection of brands! I think it's an American site but perhaps people in UK can buy from there, too? Of course, we'd need to make sure that what we want to buy isn't already on sale elsewhere within the UK itself.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:10:28 PM by Sewbee »

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 12:26:18 PM »
Every so often sewdirect has a weekend of  all patterns half price and no postage. Usually someone here will spot this and post about it. I suspect so called Black Friday might be an occasion for one of these sales but who knows!

Mozzy

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »
The Foldline has a good search facility, and Habithat stock a wide range of patterns. One of the online fabric companies, possibly Dragonfly, have indie patterns.   This is just from memory, I’ve not looked at Habithat for a while.

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
Jaycotts do have Simplicity and Burda, maybe they didn't used to?  I use Jaycotts for patterns too, only £1.50 postage, free over £25.

That sounds great. I will keep that in mind when I go to buy. Gone are the days of five patterns for five dollars (in USA)! That's okay. I'm very glad to be home.  :D

Ravingdoll

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »
Although it doesn’t do all of them www.sewbox.co.uk has a good selection of indie patterns although generally I think most people would advise using the big 4 if you are quite new to dressmaking. I use a mixture quite happily although if you want to keep your sanity I would swerve on Hot Patterns. When our Demented Fairy returns she will be happy to eloquently explain her views on them I am sure! My own experience of a Hot Pattern was not a happy one, I ended up having to get my mother to finish it off for me and there was much flicking of the tape measure (if you knew her you would know that this is her equivalent of a cat flicking its tail before pouncing).

Sewbee

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 13:02:00 PM »
Every so often sewdirect has a weekend of  all patterns half price and no postage. Usually someone here will spot this and post about it. I suspect so called Black Friday might be an occasion for one of these sales but who knows!

Now that's the thing!! What do you call Black Friday over here? In the USA it's the Friday following Thanksgiving which is the last Thursday in November but there's no Thanksgiving here.

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 13:03:42 PM »
Now that's the thing!! What do you call Black Friday over here? In the USA it's the Friday following Thanksgiving which is the last Thursday in November but there's no Thanksgiving here.

We still call it Black Friday. It's not really a huge thing though some retailers are picking up on it.

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 13:32:54 PM »
Yes it seems to have swum over the Atlantic to the UK and it has taken off in the last few years. But it is a problem for retailers as people are now waiting for BF and are expecting huge discounts.

On another post somehere on TSP I have pointed out that if you buy a lot of Vogue patterns it can be worth joining the BMV club for $9.99 on the US Vogue website, waiting for a sale (they are frequent in the US as I'm sure you know) and buying 3 Vogues at a time - works out at about £22.50- £23 for the 3 Vogue patterns with the postage  Be careful if you buy online outwith the EU as technically one is liable for customs charges if the goods are worth more than £15 (20% + £8 handling fee). Experience shows that Customs don't seem to trap all such packages but you never know when yours will be the one!

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 13:42:59 PM »
sewessential carries the McCall Pattern Company imprints that is: Butterick; McCalls and Vogue as well as Burda, Kwiksew, Newlook and Simplicity.  I have no interest in 'indie', so can't help with any pattern repositories.