The Sewing Place

Sewing machines and quilt batting

Sewbee

Sewing machines and quilt batting
« on: October 30, 2017, 11:18:23 AM »
I have a new Bernina 570qe. Will quilt batting damage it in any way - thinking lots of fuzz? Of course I still have to learn to quilt but I don't want to harm the machine.

Ploshkin

Re: Sewing machines and quilt batting
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 12:38:32 PM »
Well, most quilts are machine quilted and as far as I know it doesn't damage a machine in any way.  The quilt batting is sandwiched between 2 layers of fabric so isn't going to produce as much debris as something like fleece.  As with anything though I would always have a good clean out under the needle plate when I have finished.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sewbee

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 12:57:40 PM »
Well, most quilts are machine quilted and as far as I know it doesn't damage a machine in any way.  The quilt batting is sandwiched between 2 layers of fabric so isn't going to produce as much debris as something like fleece.  As with anything though I would always have a good clean out under the needle plate when I have finished.

Thanks, Ploshkin. I read somewhere that the fuzz is hard on machines and can stick to the needle. I think it was on one of the other sewing or quilting forums.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 14:06:49 PM »
No problems with it at all. As Ploshy says, most quilts are machine quilted, either in smaller ( quilt as you go ) or larger ( whole quilt) portions. Before quilting the wadding ( batting I believe in USA ) is sandwiched between the backing fabric and the pieced front of the quilt. It is usually glued and pinned and the needle only touches the wadding as it passes through the sandwich. You shouldn't get any escaping fuzz  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 15:49:37 PM »
I have a new Bernina 570qe.

The Q in the model number means quilting doesn't it?

That means sewing a layer of wadding between two layers of fabric, so if the machine can't do that without damaging itself it's not fit for purpose! though I'm sure it is fit and the wadding won't damage the machine.  Yes you'll get a bit of fluff but you get that with most fabrics.  Just brush it out and change your needle at the end of the project.

BTW - Lowena's right; batting is American for wadding.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 17:28:06 PM »
I've had that machine for a year or so and find there's more fluff generated from the quilting cottons themselves than from the wadding (batting). It doesn't make any difference whether I use natural fibre waddings or man-made ones either. I just make sure I brush out under the feed dogs and around the bobbin casing regularly (and oil it VERY regularly but sparingly) and it performs like a dream, going through all thicknesses. :D
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

rubywishes

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 19:11:42 PM »
BTW - Lowena's right; batting is American for wadding.

and in Australia too.

I too find I get more fuzz from the fabrics and the thread...depending on the brand and quality. I always give my machines a good "tickle out" after each project and bobbin change.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 19:13:37 PM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Sewbee

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 20:37:54 PM »
No problems with it at all. As Ploshy says, most quilts are machine quilted, either in smaller ( quilt as you go ) or larger ( whole quilt) portions. Before quilting the wadding ( batting I believe in USA ) is sandwiched between the backing fabric and the pieced front of the quilt. It is usually glued and pinned and the needle only touches the wadding as it passes through the sandwich. You shouldn't get any escaping fuzz  :D

Drat! I am really trying to learn my home language again (wadding) :angry: My grandmother used to use that term so I clearly need to throw "batting" out of the window!  ;)

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 00:02:27 AM »
It's just one of the many things which have different names in America, but because quilting is so popular in USA there are a lot of American books and websites on the subject and of course they use the American names.

My favourite name change is 'vest and pants'  Undergarments in UK, outerwear in USA!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 01:33:09 AM »
It's just one of the many things which have different names in America, but because quilting is so popular in USA there are a lot of American books and websites on the subject and of course they use the American names.

My favourite name change is 'vest and pants'  Undergarments in UK, outerwear in USA!

...and let's not forget "thongs".....footwear for some of us, uncomfortable underwear for others! :)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 09:17:43 AM »
Yep Rubes.... Aussie thongs always reduces me to giggles ( pathetic, I know )  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 17:09:07 PM »
...and let's not forget "thongs".....footwear for some of us, uncomfortable underwear for others! :)

IMO both types of 'thongs' are uncomfortable to wear!

Elnnina

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 19:57:17 PM »
May I add a warning to those who have one of the latest Bernina 570/80QE  - well in fact any of the Bernina machines that have these feet with sensors on.  As well as cleaning out around the bobbin area, feed dogs and the needle,  up by the needle in the harp area  you have some sensors, you will need to take a mirror to see these.  These sensors need to be kept very clean and clear of fluff and debris otherwise when you go to use the machine for say buttonholes the long buttonhole foot has  something on the side that looks like a round globe – this is the sensor, and thus will react with the inbuilt sensor up by the needle.  It is possible that you may have other feet that has an extra piece, maybe square up where the connection piece is for the foot to fit on to the machine’s shank, and  in this square there may be two or four little globes which are sensors.

If fluff and debris accumulate and stick to the inbuilt sensors, then in buttonholes the machine will play up and not stitch the buttonhole out properly – guess how I found this out.  So such a simple thing to keep clean, and I have some cotton buds and a piece of a micro duster that collects and holds dust right by the machine.   My kind Dentist gave me a couple of long handled plastic dental mirrors, and these are just for keeping an eye on the inbuilt sensors.

Kenora

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 20:12:20 PM »
Good to know, Elnnina, thank you. I wonder if my dentist is feeling in a generous mood?  :) Dare I ask about a mirror?
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sewbee

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 20:13:41 PM »
May I add a warning to those who have one of the latest Bernina 570/80QE  - well in fact any of the Bernina machines that have these feet with sensors on.  As well as cleaning out around the bobbin area, feed dogs and the needle,  up by the needle in the harp area  you have some sensors, you will need to take a mirror to see these.  These sensors need to be kept very clean and clear of fluff and debris otherwise when you go to use the machine for say buttonholes the long buttonhole foot has  something on the side that looks like a round globe – this is the sensor, and thus will react with the inbuilt sensor up by the needle.  It is possible that you may have other feet that has an extra piece, maybe square up where the connection piece is for the foot to fit on to the machine’s shank, and  in this square there may be two or four little globes which are sensors.

If fluff and debris accumulate and stick to the inbuilt sensors, then in buttonholes the machine will play up and not stitch the buttonhole out properly – guess how I found this out.  So such a simple thing to keep clean, and I have some cotton buds and a piece of a micro duster that collects and holds dust right by the machine.   My kind Dentist gave me a couple of long handled plastic dental mirrors, and these are just for keeping an eye on the inbuilt sensors.

Do you mean the old 570 that I just bought or the brand new 570 that came out last month?