The Sewing Place

Hardanger fabric

Elnnina

Hardanger fabric
« on: November 01, 2017, 17:29:18 PM »
Can anyone please tell me where I can get some red Hardanger fabric, would be nice if I could find some dark blue and a Christmas green as well, or am I expecting too much.

I have the tiniest piece of red that came on a New Stitches magazine years ago and this was for a Christmas decoration, and it is so nice that I would like to make some more in the red and perhaps wishful thinking in a dark blue and green.  The stitching is in gold and I do think it would look nice having more than just one decoration.

Thanks in advance for any help.

toileandtrouble

Re: Hardanger fabric
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 19:32:05 PM »
Amazon seem to have a selection of colours in Aida, which is what is often used for hardanger work.  Haven't done that since school.....
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 23:57:52 PM »
I thought that hardanger is usually worked on regular evenweave fabric rather than aida, but I suppose you could use either.

http://sewitall.com/

has coloured evenweaves, coloured aida and also royal blue hardanger fabric
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewbee

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 07:26:09 AM »
Can anyone please tell me where I can get some red Hardanger fabric, would be nice if I could find some dark blue and a Christmas green as well, or am I expecting too much.

I have the tiniest piece of red that came on a New Stitches magazine years ago and this was for a Christmas decoration, and it is so nice that I would like to make some more in the red and perhaps wishful thinking in a dark blue and green.  The stitching is in gold and I do think it would look nice having more than just one decoration.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've yet to find that lovely New Stitches magazine here. There are some other gorgeous Australian needlework magazines I've yet to find, too.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 09:36:37 AM »
I occasionally find the Australian ones (Inspirations and Classic Inspirations) here, but have had them ordered for me in the past.  New Stitches I used to read regularly, but now I think about it, I haven't seen it for a long time.  Our newsagents aren't very big, so they may be around in other places.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 12:15:54 PM »
I thought that hardanger is usually worked on regular evenweave fabric rather than aida, but I suppose you could use either.
Is that wrong?  I saw hardanger and it brought back memories so I goodled red hardanger fabric and it brought that up.  I thought I had heard of it used before too.  Sorry folks if I misled anyone. We only had plain white at school.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 15:37:57 PM »
Seewbee, New Stitches magazine has sadly long gone which is a great pity as it was a lovely magazine and lots to hand embroider in this.

Thank you to those who have replied about the Hardanger fabric.  Oh this is going to be a challenge, I have just got out the Hardanger Christmas Decoration cover kit that came with New Stitches No.54, so years old, and by chance I had kept this with the magazine in question.  This little kit was by Permin of Copenhagen, so a very well known make, (New Stitches very rarely did cover kits), and the actual fabric they used was called Permin Red Hardanger.  I have typed that into Google and absolutely nothing comes up, only white and cream Hardanger. 

Of course any pure  Needlework shops near me have disappeared, so I shall start hunting further afield on the internet to see if anyone knows where there might be a possible outlet – well being so close to Christmas I would hope someone would know, as these are real Christmas colours.

I have just tried taking a photo of this lovely Christmas Decoration, it really is so very pretty, however not having ever posted a photo on here, the camera is not playing ball – think it now needs recharging, and of course having had Twopence here for a couple of hours, she has just gone, and she too had a look on the internet for this Permin red Hardanger fabric –plenty of places that sell white or cream but not the colours.  Twopence would have been able to upload the photo for me, so perhaps next Thursday I will be able to do this when we come home after hydrotherapy.

I also have some delicious Emmie Bishop Christmas Tree Angels in  white or ecru Hardanger, that have porcelain heads, these pretty angels can either be hung anywhere on the Tree or right at the top of the Tree, so whilst  I might not get one sewn for this year perhaps if I keep them out and handy I will have some sewn for next year – who knows!!!!  Same with the Christmas Decoration.

Thanks again for all your help.

Elnnina

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 16:15:01 PM »
Well a lot has happened Hardanger wise since last Thursday.  I eventually found that Permin of Copenhagen had a UK website, but of course they no longer seem to sell the darker colours of Hardanger fabric.  I carried on looking and eventually found a website that were offering  red Hardanger table mats as a kit, and these tablemats of course came with the red Perle thread, they also did these mats with a table runner – in different sizes, so I thought well if necessary I can get the mats and table runner and then do what I like with the red fabric.  I am still thinking about this!!!!

Now I have a sister who lives in Canada and many years ago she was very much into Hardanger, and on making contact with her she has offered me her left over pieces of red, blue and green Hardanger fabric, and as my daughter is about to go over to Canada for her work within the next week or so, she will also be spending the weekend with my sister who lives up in the middle of nowhere alongside a lake, so my daughter will bring these fabric pieces back for me – so I am the lucky one.

Think I will have to set aside one particular day per week when I can start stitching these Hardanger items that I love so much and then hopefully by Christmas 2018  I will have a lovely selection ready waiting to adorn my tree.

Whilst Twopence was here after our hydrotherapy session this morning, she kindly loaded the attached photo of this lovely Hardanger Christmas Decoration onto my laptop, now all I have to do is try and attach this.

Again thank you to all who have come up with some suggestions for the fabric for me, it is much appreciated.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 17:10:27 PM »
It looks lovely.  I do like Hardanger but it takes forever to make  :(
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.