The Sewing Place

Looking for Gold Lace trim

b15erk

Looking for Gold Lace trim
« on: November 02, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »
I've started my Belle Costumes, and straight away I'm hitting problems.  I need lace trim!

Sounds simple, and I have a lot in the stash, but when I tried it against the yellow satin, most looked awful.

So, I spent the evening on t'internet, and came up with - zilch, nada, a big fat nothing.

These are the sort of trimmings I need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqg1M3EhTk&t=534s

I'm coming up with expensive fine lace, beaded and jewelled at a daft price.  I'm looking for relatively cheap and cheerful.

Anyone have any favourite suppliers? 

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

Re: Looking for Gold Lace trim
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:12:02 AM »
Try your local market...

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:29:11 AM »
If you're looking for gold there could be something Christmassy about this time of year.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 09:40:40 AM »
Local market is a waste of time Ef, and quite expensive.  I bought some from my local fabric shop, but only one type is suitable....

I'll have a look at Christmas stuff, thanks Plosh.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Snowgoose

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 09:45:19 AM »
If you search eBay - UK only for speedy delivery - for 'gold lace net' there are some beautiful trims come up  :) item number 182432821436 for example? Maybe something like this could be cut up to make trim :[

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 10:13:18 AM »
Not sure what it is you're doing, but if it's a costume for short term use, could you perhaps use gold spray on ordinary lace trim? A few years ago I got some gold spray paint, on Ebay, that was made with 24c gold. Not cheap but it was excellent - didn't look at all greeny. I used it on a mirror frame and it still looks good

maliw

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 11:37:49 AM »
How quickly do you need it Jessie ? I could look in Abakhan next time I go but I wasn't planning to go anytime soon.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 11:47:19 AM »
Ladies, you are the best!  Just changing my search terms, brought a lot more options up for me.  I've ordered a selection, which put together, should give an acceptable look.

Greybird, I was loathe to spray, because one of the little girls I'm making for, has very sensitive skin, and her skin flares up at the slightest thing.

Mal, I didn't even think of Abakhan, I could have gone there at the weekend.... :S

Hopefully, although I've ordered quite a lot, I will be able to use for Christmas stockings as well.

Should be able to crack on with my Christmas Belle costumes now!  :)

Jessie