The Sewing Place

New Projects..... (Like I really need another one ??!!)

Iminei

New Projects..... (Like I really need another one ??!!)
« on: November 03, 2017, 09:03:04 AM »
Earlier this year I joined the SouthWest Quilters group and was told that they are showcasing Dorset at the Grosvenor Spring Show in Exeter next year. The Organiser who took my registration was worrying that they did not have many members in my area and not enough submissions so I foolishly agreed to submitting a quilt (or two) for  the exhibition. Tempus fugited, as it tends to do, and I suddenly realise that the deadline for the entry is in two weeks time!

Now I could enter one or two of the quilts I entered for FOQ but they don't really scream Dorset do they ? so I thought, at the time all that time ago, I might make a couple of pictorial quilts highlighting some landmarks ......

One of my ideas was a quilted version of this ......

and also ... ermmm ... this ....

which I could do in reverse applique, as he's carved out of the hillside and all ???

The  thing that is really bothering me is that whilst I don't need to have actually made the piece before submitting the entry, I do need to know the size, title and write a bit of blurb about it ... the things that usually come to me whilst making a quilt ...

So what do we think ????

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:05:22 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Tamnymore

Re: New Projects..... (Like I really need another one ??!!)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:13:44 AM »
Do the second one, Imi. I dare you. You could always have a patchwork figleaf at the ready!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:27:48 AM »
Either or both would look amazing Im!

Go on, do both!  You know you love a challenge!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 09:44:09 AM »
You can easily do both..... a wonder woman like you  :P The Cerne Abbas Giant should be quite straightforward and surely Elvis could help with the top one in some way. You could encourage your OH to get in as much time as possible n Weymouth to give you time to yourself.... and away you go
I didn't know you'd joined SWQ. I've toyed with the idea but they never seem to come near enough to me........is it worth it do you think hun?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
The landscape one could look stunning with your beautiful fabric choices and more 'arty' but the Cerne Abbas Giant would also be an interesting one to do - would you have time for both?
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 11:05:15 AM »
I see the landscape as mostly apliqué with quilting as appropriate.  You could add lots of bling too if you want.

The Cerne Abbas Giant would be one large piece of mottled green blender fabric with thick white braid couched down to make the figure,  and then lots of FMQ around it.

Go for it - both of them.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Vegegrow

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »
The only problem with the Cerne Abbas Giant quilt is what would you do with it afterwards ...would Imself want it as a wall hanging...and isn't it a fertility symbol ?so you would have to consider what bed you put it on :ninja: :D :D :D
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 12:10:50 PM »
The landscape one would not be dissimilar to doing the undersea one you did. Btw, did you get feedback on your quilts at the FOQ? Will you get feedback from these? Does your entering mean I have to go to Exeter next April?  :D

Sewbee

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »
Earlier this year I joined the SouthWest Quilters group and was told that they are showcasing Dorset at the Grosvenor Spring Show in Exeter next year. The Organiser who took my registration was worrying that they did not have many members in my area and not enough submissions so I foolishly agreed to submitting a quilt (or two) for  the exhibition. Tempus fugited, as it tends to do, and I suddenly realise that the deadline for the entry is in two weeks time!

Now I could enter one or two of the quilts I entered for FOQ but they don't really scream Dorset do they ? so I thought, at the time all that time ago, I might make a couple of pictorial quilts highlighting some landmarks ......

One of my ideas was a quilted version of this ......

and also ... ermmm ... this ....

which I could do in reverse applique, as he's carved out of the hillside and all ???

The  thing that is really bothering me is that whilst I don't need to have actually made the piece before submitting the entry, I do need to know the size, title and write a bit of blurb about it ... the things that usually come to me whilst making a quilt ...

So what do we think ????

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!  I LOVE that second one! That's made my day! Oh, it's not Mr.... Oh I better not go there ;)

Hope you have a good sense of humour!!

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 13:16:21 PM »
Right I've had a play!

Questions and Answers first :-

The only problem with the Cerne Abbas Giant quilt is what would you do with it afterwards

I thought I might gift it to Lowena, hahaha  :devil:

so you would have to consider what bed you put it on
They would both be small wall-hangings about A3 or slightly bigger.

would you have time for both?
so, no sweat time wise!

The Cerne Abbas Giant would be one large piece of mottled green blender fabric with thick white braid couched down to make the figure,

Nice idea Brenda!

So far I've tried satin stitch ...

reverse applique ...

reverse reverse applique with two lines of stitching ...

and with one line of stitching ...

Not loving the reverse applique at all, but I never have liked it.

Quite liking the Satin Stitch option, if dense enough

Liking the reverse reverse applique, where I've stitched over some white fabric and cut the excess  away but with the one stitch line rather than the two, as it allows for a finer line, with the white fabric behind giving more definition than satin stitch on its own.

Will try the couching option too, but suspect I wont be able to get the tight curves right.

What do you think ?????

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 00:14:26 AM »
I thought I might gift it to Lowena,

The Cerne Abbas Giant would be one large piece of mottled green blender fabric with thick white braid couched down to make the figure.

I think that nice green fabric would be just what Lowena would like hanging on her wall :ninja:

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 10:52:49 AM »
Ooh, can't wait to give a GREEN WALLHANGING pride of place in my sitting room  :x :x
( for the uninitiated, I hate green and I hate wallhangings.......my opinion of Chalk Giant's with erections, I'll keep to myself  :P )
You'd better get on with it Imi, OH is prepping the wall as we speak  :ninja:

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 18:17:35 PM »
The deadline for entry to the Exeter show is next week and as I am (Probably) going to be away after tomorrow I need to decide what to do......

HELP HELP HELP !!!!

If I enter something totally un Dorset related (apart having being made in Dorset of course) which of my Quilts should I enter ... The Undersea, The HSTathon, The Undulating Terror ????

HELP HELP HELP !!!!

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 18:35:48 PM »
Enter all three if you can.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 07:58:16 AM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 18:44:37 PM »
Under the sea