The Sewing Place

Cotton + Chalk patterns

BrendaP

Cotton + Chalk patterns
« on: November 05, 2017, 23:05:01 PM »
Has anyone used Cotton + Chalk patterns? - the ones which come free with Simply Sewing magazine.
What is the fit like?

I have their Nina Dress pattern, a button through princess line dress and I've already spotted a mistake in the instructions.  View A has sleeves, view B is sleeveless with armhole facings.  Cutting instructions for both views would have you cut the facings from interfacing  :S
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

Re: Cotton + Chalk patterns
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 08:28:30 AM »
It looks like a repackaging of

KwikSew 4000.  The instructions have probably been rewritten to avoid copyright infringement.

Kad

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 09:44:11 AM »
I've made their 'waterfall jacket' pattern twice now and had no problems with it other than it seemed overly generous with fabric requirements, I have rather a lot of excess fabric left over from the first incarnation despite  adding length to sleeves  etc, so the second time around I bought about 0.5 m less than on the pattern envelope

I do have an issue however with the Sew Simple patterns that I've encountered:

#025 Colour Block Tunic states that it is of Beginner standard and on the reverse of the pattern envelope gives fabric requirements for both views  ( dress and top - no mention of tunic? )in terms of fabric 1 and fabric 2 -. as expected of a ' colour block' style  BUT the layplans on the instruction sheet show all pattern pieces being cut from 1 length of fabric and don't specify that you don't need all pieces for the 'top' variant! Enough to scare any beginner well away.
I did use  the pattern pieces to make up a tunic style which I really like but  as a pattern it's  :trousers:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 10:42:14 AM »
It looks like a repackaging of
KwikSew 4000.  The instructions have probably been rewritten to avoid copyright infringement.
It does look the same doesn't it.

I've only used one QuikSew pattern before, but it's a TNT teeshirt which I've made several times.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 13:53:56 PM »
Not necessarily these patterns, but I have come across errors in just about every free pattern with a magazine.  Some simple things such as bad instructions or diagrams that don't match all the way up to instructions for part of the process completely missing.