The Sewing Place

going off on a Liberty tangent...

Vegegrow

going off on a Liberty tangent...
« on: November 29, 2017, 13:55:38 PM »
So I decided I would like to make a Hexie quilt using my Liberty scraps.. I have quite a few and I bought some scraps from Standfast and Barracks when I went up there.. the plan grew and I bought some bits from eBay and I ended up with over a thousand all ready to stitch together but no actual plan of design I knew I didn't want anything formal or traditional and started wandering round the internet looking for ideas..... its then that I went off at a tangent  I had cut some 2.5"  squares from 3" squares to make my hexies and I kept the scraps I had other oblongs and so the idea grew to use them for a ticker tape quilt so while the hexies sit in there box the tickertape liberty quilt is well into production  :S
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Acorn

Re: going off on a Liberty tangent...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 14:02:02 PM »
 :loveit:   Wow!  :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 14:12:54 PM »
YOu are soooo good at using the small stuff Vege x
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 15:20:23 PM »
The hexies pile looks scary and an awful lot of work, but I love the ticker tape quilt.

I've got a soft spot for Liberty and have a bit of a stash of my own.

Sandra.
xxx

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 16:34:29 PM »
That ticker tape looks good, but seriously complicated and difficult and very very very fiddly.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 16:45:42 PM »
Gosh, brilliant.... but very very scary  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 16:46:14 PM »
That ticker tape looks good, but seriously complicated and difficult and very very very fiddly.
No its not really I just divided up the strips that I had lots of into 12 piles then sorted the odds loosely by colour and placed and pinned  onto a 18" square sandwich of white cotton  batting and aqua sheet backing then stitched round the
 oblongs using decorative stitches... I made myself do 1 a day... Next plan is the joining I think I might join white strips with liberty strips so I don't have white borders round the panels
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Sheilago

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 08:29:25 AM »
Very impressive! I admire your patience and it’s a great way to show off all those lovely Liberty designs. I look forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Vegegrow

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 09:14:51 AM »
Very impressive! I admire your patience and it’s a great way to show off all those lovely Liberty designs. I look forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Don't hold your breath... I have a stack of curtains on the table  :S

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 09:18:10 AM »
Lovely idea Veg.  I have some yellow Poly Satin you may want to incorporate!!  ;)

You have some patience.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.