The Sewing Place

Overlocker Upper Cutting Knife

Morgan

Overlocker Upper Cutting Knife
« on: March 07, 2017, 18:57:48 PM »
A photo that compares the used upper knife with the unused replacement.  You don't even need to zoom in to see the amount of wear and damage despite only 3 years of light domestic used.

I was surprised at having to replace the knife as it's not had heavy use at all.
Perhaps it's because it's the bottom mounted hook style of upper knife, or possibly the quality of the steel, or maybe a bit of both. 
My (old) back-up overlocker has had much more use over many more years, yet the top mounted straight style cutting knife is still razor sharp and cuts like a dream.

Vegegrow

Re: Overlocker Upper Cutting Knife
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 19:03:52 PM »
Blimey Morgan what a difference... how much did a new blade cost?
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 19:23:40 PM »
I'm going up to check mine now. It's something I rather take for granted.   I think my older machine has only had 1 new blade, and it's  30+ years old!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Swisslass

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 19:30:51 PM »
I took mine in last month for a service and was expecting a bill for new knives, but instead they sharpened them, which surprised me, but I can tell the difference. On a similar note, I took in my dressmaking scissors to be sharpened, and I'm not impressed, time to try somewhere else I think.
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Morgan

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 19:33:11 PM »

... how much did a new blade cost?
I used the spare supplied with the machine in the accessories pack.

If I need to replace it again, I can get one from here
http://www.bsk.co.uk/baby-lock-overlocker-upper-knife-blades-for-evolution--evolve-wave-b4401-03a-0y-bs521-3464-p.asp

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 22:01:35 PM »
It doesn't help mine that I've cut a few pins in half with it!  I've stopped doing that now... probably...

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 13:06:45 PM »
Took my spare blade in when I had my 20 year old Huskylock for a service and the man said it didn't need changing.  Still, I don't think it has ever hit a pin.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 15:42:24 PM »
Checked mine and it's fine - it went through the lycra like a knife through butter!

While I was looking I gave it a bit of a clean.  Embarrassing how much stuff can lurk in the undercarriage isn't it?  :|

The Pfaff got a bit of tlc too.  I started an alteration, but couldn't get a decent stitch, machine just kept seizing up after making huge birds nests and snapping my needle!  A bit embarrassing really, when I eventually re-threaded it, I'd missed the guide on the take up lever.  :| :|

All sorted now.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »
Thanks for the link for spares Morgan. I've got and Imagine and hopefully it doesn't need a need knife yet although I've had it  a few years but it doesn't get heavy use. I had my Brother 1034D for over 10 years and it never needed a new knife. DDIL is still using it and it's ok I think.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula