The Sewing Place

Bobbin Winder

Lizzielogs

Bobbin Winder
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »
Hi all, could anyone make a comment on bobbin winders, I only have one machine (shock, horror) and it's often inconvenient to refill a bobbin if I am in the middle of sewing something and wondered if a separate winder might be a good purchase?
These are my questions, the answers and ANY comments would make me very thrilled  :D
Have you ever had one? / do you use one? / what have you got? / are they worth the money? / any thoughts at all? / should I plan my sewing better? / do you have one to sell me? / why is there a sell by date on sour cream?.

Thanks in advance
xx  :drink: xx

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Bobbin Winder
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 08:28:10 AM »
It's so b£**dy annoying when your bobbin runs out mid-sewing!  I've wondered about a separate winder, but then thought I'd need the thread off the sewing machine anyway, although I usually have more than one of a colour (for use on the overlocker).  My new machine has an extra spool pin, so I use that rather than unthread, although I still need to take the main thread off one bit on the top to wind a bobbin.
Sorry, not a lot of help to you, but I'll be interested to see what others think about them.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »
why is there a sell by date on sour cream?.
... or buttermilk.  I usually get them free from the local shop when they are out of date.

I've never used a bobbin winder either.
Life's too short for ironing.

fajita

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 08:55:26 AM »
My machine can wind bobbins and sew at the same time. Buy a new machine  :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 09:22:59 AM »
Oooh, that's exciting.  8)  It's not something I thought about when I bought my new machine a few months ago  :(

Snowgoose

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 09:29:25 AM »
Could you be tempted to find a nice little vintage sewing machine  :) if you could pick one up locally from gumtree or similar, or put a 'wanted' on freecycle, it could be kept just for bobbin winding  :)

As a bonus, you would have a spare machine and that lovely warm, fuzzy feeling knowing you've rescued a lovely vintage  :vintage:  :angel:

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 09:34:06 AM »
From the title of this thread I really thought you were asking about winders for lace bobbins! 

I have one of the black ones and I think I might still have a little wooden one similar to the piccie, but before that I had a Heath Robinson thingie which Terry made by adapting a hand powered rotary egg whisk.  Alas I no longer have it or even a photo.

As for winding sewing machine bobbins - it's a pain.  On some machines it's possible to wind as you sew.  I've never tried it, but the vintage Singers have a separate tension for the bobbin winder so I suppose they could do it.  My Husqvarna winds bobbins with thread coming from the neeedle so no unthreading necessary.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 09:36:09 AM »
Could you be tempted to find a nice little vintage sewing machine  :)

Little vintage sewing machines, AKA Featherweights, don't generally come cheap! :vintage:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 10:14:12 AM »
There are independent battery powered winders, used to be about £25, I think labelled Singer. Is that what you were thinking of? I don't know if they wind every size of bobbin. I haven't used one but if I'd known about them before, I would not have got rid of an excellent Alfa machine when the winder casting broke.
Might be an idea to invest in extra bobbins and wind two at the start of a project if it is likely to be a long one. I have lots of bobbins and  always keep a full white and a black ready.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Lizzielogs

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 16:16:18 PM »
LOL, nope that is NEVER going to happen!

Lizzielogs

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 16:18:52 PM »
Could you be tempted to find a nice little vintage sewing machine  :) if you could pick one up locally from gumtree or similar, or put a 'wanted' on freecycle, it could be kept just for bobbin winding  :)

As a bonus, you would have a spare machine and that lovely warm, fuzzy feeling knowing you've rescued a lovely vintage  :vintage:  :angel:

Lovely idea but there's no room for another machine where I sew and even more hideously - and I'm whispering here and KNOW I'm in the minority but I'm not a fan of vintage machines!!

Lizzielogs

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 16:25:50 PM »
There are independent battery powered winders, used to be about £25, I think labelled Singer. Is that what you were thinking of? I don't know if they wind every size of bobbin. I haven't used one but if I'd known about them before, I would not have got rid of an excellent Alfa machine when the winder casting broke.
Might be an idea to invest in extra bobbins and wind two at the start of a project if it is likely to be a long one. I have lots of bobbins and  always keep a full white and a black ready.

Yes, the independent battery things are the things I mean I'm sure, I do have a gazillion extra bobbins and have 5 black and white at the ready but it always seems to be the 'just' jobs that catch me out without the correct colour. I suppose I needed the feedback for one of the battery things!
 :toast:  cheers x

arrow

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 16:59:55 PM »
Doesn't all sewing machines wind bobbins with out too much fuzz? I loosen the stop motion screw on my machines, wind a bobbin and if I have a second spool of the same thread I don't have to rethread the top either. It doesn't affect the work under the needle much, but I have to replace the bobbin and access the bobbin case. All the vintage machines does this, possibly with the odd exception.

Which modern models wind the bobbin from the needle thread like the old Touch & Sew. You had the access a setting lever under the bobbin cover on the the old T&S, I guess that's on a touch screen on modern machines, or button some where.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 18:11:49 PM »
Doesn't all sewing machines wind bobbins with out too much fuzz? I loosen the stop motion screw on my machines, wind a bobbin and if I have a second spool of the same thread I don't have to rethread the top either. It doesn't affect the work under the needle much, but I have to replace the bobbin and access the bobbin case. All the vintage machines does this, possibly with the odd exception.

Which modern models wind the bobbin from the needle thread like the old Touch & Sew. You had the access a setting lever under the bobbin cover on the the old T&S, I guess that's on a touch screen on modern machines, or button some where.

As you say Arrow, they do but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on a winder??

toileandtrouble

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 22:34:59 PM »
I looked for it and the brand is Simplicity not Singer.  Reviews are mixed, it does not seem to be very fast, doesn't like large reels or cones and takes 2 x AA batteries.  Some are delighted, some not.  It is described as suitable for 'most' bobbins. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it sounds as if it is OK for occasional use.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m