The Sewing Place

Bobbin Winder

Ellabella

Re: Bobbin Winder
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 00:30:23 AM »
If you're anything like me by the time you've found the damn thing, gone downstairs for new batteries, broken a nail removing battery cover, you could have wound a new bobbin or two and rethreaded and sewn another seam.

Alternatively you would probably know exactly where it is, have a plentiful supply of batteries to hand and the correct tool to remove said battery cover.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 07:17:06 AM »
I looked for it and the brand is Simplicity not Singer.  Reviews are mixed, it does not seem to be very fast, doesn't like large reels or cones and takes 2 x AA batteries.  Some are delighted, some not.  It is described as suitable for 'most' bobbins. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it sounds as if it is OK for occasional use.

Thank you T&T, I ust have read similar reviews on the Simplicity and it seems very ambivalent, I think I was hoping someone say they had a different brand and it was marvelous!!

crooknees

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 18:49:40 PM »
Sorry to be so late finding this topic.
I bought a SIDE-WINDER a few years ago. It doesn't do a good job winding the bobbins for my Pfaff 2134. The holes are too big and the bobbin slips instead of winding smoothly.
What I do find it very useful for, is winding those very cheap metal bobbins you can buy in bulk. I use them with the Bob & Serge on my overlocker. The batteries also last a long time I find. A good buy if you have sufficient use for it.

daisy

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 21:51:04 PM »
I've got a Simplicity Sidewinder. It's the smaller one of the two available and runs on batteries.

I got it at a time when winding bobbins was a problem for pretty much all of my vintage machines, for one reason or another, and I was down to winding all bobbins on my 1990s Bernina. I was afraid that if that machine let me down, I'd be stuck with no reliable, faff-free way to fill a bobbin.

It's OK. I've never had any major problems with it, and it does the job, though it always operates at a rather sickly speed and has a flimsy feel to it. There is an option to power it from the mains (cable not included), rather than batteries, and I do wonder if that would perk it up a bit.

I've used it to wind class 15 and Singer class 66/Elna bobbins. Always from small/medium sized reels so I can't comment on how it would behave with large cones, but I can't imagine that it would work well. I still use it from time to time if a bobbin runs out when I've got something with a lot of pins held in place under the presser foot and I *really* don't want to unthread the needle.

I got it fairly cheaply on eBay (<£20) and for what I paid for it, I'm glad I have it, but had I paid much more I'd be disappointed.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 18:11:12 PM »
One of my colleagues uses one to wind bobbins for a large embroidery machine.  It works pretty well.  But they don't all do all bobbins.  So be careful if buying one.  As regards winding through the needle, i don't recommend that after seeing several machines that had to be repaired after doing just that. 

Gernella

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 15:25:43 PM »
I never use the machine to wind them, I prefer to use the Sidewinder which does a perfect job for me.  Only thing I have to watch is that Pfaff bobbins have to go in upside down (lettering to the bottom), or they don't work in the machine. Mine is just the small one with one battery, which takes ages to run down.  Wouldn't be without it.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included