The Sewing Place

Coat Pattern

Acorn

Coat Pattern
« on: November 09, 2017, 10:24:35 AM »
I had to order half a metre of softshell fleece from myfabrics.co.uk yesterday - they were the only place with the colourway I need to make a hat for my Mum.

Anyway, that meant £5.95 delivery, which was clearly terrible with just half a metre of fabric... so, to cut a long story short, I seem to have ordered three metres of coat fabric, and three metres of lining to go with it.

The problem now is that I can't find a pattern that works for me.  I want something fairly shapeless (like me!), three quarter length, and with a hood (and 'generous' sizing!)  That hood seems to be causing problems.  My first port of call is always Style Arc, but they have nothing.

Has anyone seen anything that sounds at all like that?  Or can anyone suggest somewhere for me to look? 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

Re: Coat Pattern
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 10:50:07 AM »
I've just made Jalie 2680 (sorry can't do links on a tablet).

It's not as fitted as the drawing shows, my waist went west years ago and mine fitted fine without alteration.

It went together quickly and easily and has an option for a hood included.

It's not lined but that should not be too hard an addition.

I used soft shell fleece and did not need any interfacing at all.

I absolutely love your fabric combo Acorn, whatever pattern you choose I'm sure it will be a fab coat.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:54:49 AM »
Depending on how you feel about no instructions, I've always found Lekala to be the best for coat patterns. They fit well (though beware, their bodices can have a few inches less ease than expected and their sleeves can also be very wide! But as you get them custom-drafted to your own size you can adjust). The only problem with them is the instructions are rubbish. But I muddled through, and have successfully made two coats.

As for coats, how about these:

https://www.lekala.co/catalog/women/coats/pattern/4497#model

https://www.lekala.co/catalog/women/coats/pattern/4383#model

https://www.lekala.co/catalog/women/coats/pattern/5698#model

https://www.lekala.co/catalog/women/coats/pattern/5477#model

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 11:44:55 AM »
Thanks for that  Francesca, they look like my sort of coat.  Acorn, p&p is my downfall too.  (obviously, you have to spend money to save money!)
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 13:38:01 PM »
I bought this Simplicity pattern very recently. I got it from eBay as it was free p&p and half price
(which Simplicity is at present). It arrived quickly. I have bought from this buyer before who is on Amazon. I like free p&p on patterns!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simplicity-1254-Misses-Leanne-Marshall-Easy-Lined-Coat-Jacket-Sewing-Pattern-/182740640496?var=&hash=item2a8c30e2f0

Haven't had chance to do anything with it yet. But would like a similar grey fabric as shown in the sketch.

https://www.simplicitynewlook.com/1254

I really like your fabric.

Kad

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 16:14:26 PM »
I made Simplicity 1067 this time last year. I made variant E with a hood, wrap front , usefully sized pockets and optional tie belt. It doesn't come with patterns for the lining but the coat is made up of very simple shapes so it's not difficult to sort a lining out.
The fabric requirements fit easily within your 3 metre limit, using between 2.0 and  2.1 metres for sizes 6 to 22 without the belt.
Hope this might help x
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 16:29:42 PM »
We really should have had a coat sewalong competition shouldn't we? 
Sorry, not got any pattern ideas, though I do have that Simplicity pattern, but not made it yet.  Lovely fabric and super lining!

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 17:55:16 PM »

Although the hooded version doesn't appear to have any closure, or

Found on sewessential.

Lizzy777

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 18:51:32 PM »
We really should have had a coat sewalong competition shouldn't we? 
Sorry, not got any pattern ideas, though I do have that Simplicity pattern, but not made it yet.  Lovely fabric and super lining!

That's a great idea!!

Lizzy777

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 18:53:27 PM »

Although the hooded version doesn't appear to have any closure, or

Found on sewessential.

I bought those two as well, at the same time as the other one. Thought they were good patterns to get.  :)

Francesca

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 18:59:10 PM »
I'd love an informal coat sewalong. I'll be starting mine next week. Anyone wanna make it?

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 19:09:49 PM »
Alas no.  This will be my third year without having started on the coat that was supposed to replace

Vogue 8346.  Sigh

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 19:27:47 PM »
Ooh thank you - lots to think about there.

Simplicity 8467 seems to be the closest to what I'm looking for, but the hooded version seems not to be lined, and I would have to add some sort of closure.

I wondered about a duffel coat - remember the gorgeous one sewmuchmore made?  I'd have to grade out the Grainline one though, and I do seem to remember that it had rather a lot of pieces - I really want a fairly quick make or I won't get to wear it this winter!

If I have the fabric, pattern and some time at the right time I'd love to join in an informal sewalong.

Sewbee

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 08:36:17 AM »
Ooh thank you - lots to think about there.

Simplicity 8467 seems to be the closest to what I'm looking for, but the hooded version seems not to be lined, and I would have to add some sort of closure.

I wondered about a duffel coat - remember the gorgeous one sewmuchmore made?  I'd have to grade out the Grainline one though, and I do seem to remember that it had rather a lot of pieces - I really want a fairly quick make or I won't get to wear it this winter!

If I have the fabric, pattern and some time at the right time I'd love to join in an informal sewalong.

I love that Simplicity pattern (8467)! I've made a note of it. :)

I love your new fabric, too, I've never heard of "softshell". Is it like stretch fleece? I had a look at MyFabrics and they have a nice selection of softshell materials but I have never heard of it. I'm still getting used to British fabrics, though, and other than natural fabrics, I am a bit lost.

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 09:35:04 AM »
I only discovered fleece-lined softshell this year.  It's waterproof on the outside, but not rustly like a lot of waterproof fabrics - almost slightly spongy.  It seems to me to be like the fabric my nephew wears for cycling, but this has a lovely fleecy inside.

It isn't stretchy.  I might say it has a very small amount of 'give', but no more than that.

I made this from fleece-lined softshell:

and I am very pleased with it, although I have realised just how much doesn't go with red!  Therefore I am making a wool coat in black and pink so that it can not go with a whole new section of my wardrobe...   :o