The Sewing Place

New Sewing Room

Sewbee

New Sewing Room
« on: November 09, 2017, 15:42:36 PM »
Almost done! I just have to put everything in the drawers now and the books in the bookcase which you can't see but is behind me off to the right. Behind me is a big closet!

The oak top is from another desk that I had. I had to use it because it's the only one I could find that's the correct depth for the 27 inch monitor. If I bought a white one the correct depth, it would have been much too long. Never mind. The bookcase is oak so it matches.

I wasn't sure if the vertical stripe in the curtains should go in the middle or the ends of the window but this is the way it appeared on display. Maybe someone can tell me. I haven't seen this effect before.

Before it's rework this room was a little boys bedroom with three Snow White walls and one royal blue wall - and no curtains! The carpet was beige and old. Now there's laminate flooring.

You can see the door on the left buts almost all the way back because there's still two feet between it and the desk. Guess what goes in that space? Cat box!!!! Felix watched the man the entire three hours he was here, wondering what was going on in HIS room!

Now I can sew on one side and make videos on the other!

PS. Ignore the moss on the roof. It's coming off!!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 16:25:21 PM by Sewbee »

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: New Sewing Room
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 16:38:34 PM »
Looking good!  How lovely to have a new sewing room, I think mine is not going to be ready til after Christmas now.
I would hang the curtains the other way, with the stripe to the outside, but I have no idea if that's right, I've not seen any like that!

Sewbee

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 16:59:10 PM »
Looking good!  How lovely to have a new sewing room, I think mine is not going to be ready til after Christmas now.
I would hang the curtains the other way, with the stripe to the outside, but I have no idea if that's right, I've not seen any like that!

Thank you!

I agree about the curtains. That stripe down the middle when they are closed bothers me. Tomorrow I will switch them around. That room is SO cozy in daylight and evening!

I still have to put some knick knacks in there. After I've moved all the books and sewing items in there, I will get some.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 17:04:01 PM »
The room looks good, but I disagree about the curtains, the stripe is along what is called the leading edge - it leads the way as you close the curtains.  Just Google "leading edge on curtains" and you'll see loads which have a contrast leading edge.  You could make some tie-backs to match the contrast stripe.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewbee

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 17:09:59 PM »
The room looks good, but I disagree about the curtains, the stripe is along what is called the leading edge - it leads the way as you close the curtains.  Just Google "leading edge on curtains" and you'll see loads which have a contrast leading edge.  You could make some tie-backs to match the contrast stripe.

So the stripe is supposed to be in the centre then. Okay, I will leave as is and perhaps pick up that colour in a lampshade for the computer side (need muted light on that side).  That should draw the eye away. I could do tie backs but I thought they were only for floor length drapes.

arrow

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 00:47:35 AM »
Very calm and clean, I like it a lot. The fancy sewing machine and your mac makes it even better. My father has a mac like that with a big screen.