The Sewing Place

Should I use upholstery thread?

crooknees

Should I use upholstery thread?
« on: November 08, 2017, 17:34:47 PM »
Please can any one advise me, as to what sort of thread I should use for loose covers? I'm using a 100% polyester, washable, upholstery fabric, with piped seams to add to the bulk. The chair has a wooden frame and arms and the cushions will have zips to enable removal, but the seams will be under considerable strain when the covers are peeled off. The old covers took two of us to remove them. A real tug of war!
I'ved looked at Gutermanns Sew All and their upholstery thread. The latter looks a bit over the top thickness wise. But will the Sew All be strong enough? My Pfaff 2134 will sew 4 thicknesses of denim without trouble, so I think she will cope with the fabric/piping, if I use a jeans needle or similar.
Any advice will be gratefully received by me and DD2 who owns the chair.

Vegegrow

Re: Should I use upholstery thread?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 17:56:12 PM »
I have used sew all on 2 sets of settee covers the 1st didn't wear out but we got a 'new' second hand sofa..  I piped the first set but not the second... use polyester piping  cord or pre shrink cotton piping  I sewed both sets on my Pfaff select ...  Does it have zips..if you are concerned about tightness you could increase the length of the zip.. if you are going to wash these covers wash a  measured test piece to test for shrinkage ... I know its washable but its good to check..
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 23:20:09 PM »
The choice of thread is not so much what the final product is, rather it's about the weight/thickness of the fabric used.

The Gütermann website tells me that SewAll is suitable for most fabrics and should be used with a 70, 80 or 90 needle.  Their Extra Strong (which is what I think you mean by "upholstery thread") is suitable for heavy woven fabrics such as thick denim or canvas or leather, and that it requires a 90, 100 or 110 needle.  If you go for the thicker thread remember that you should use a  longer stitch length, maybe 4mm.

You say that the cushion seams are under a lot of pressure when removing the covers.  Do those covers go directly over foam?  When I made a piped box cushion a few months ago DD told me to make an inner lining using something slippery to make getting the top cover on and off a lot easier.  I used a bit of poly satin that had been in stash for ages, nothing fancy, no seams neatened inside but the last side did have to be closed by hand but getting the top cover on over it was so much easier than getting the foam into that liner. 

Also you need to have the zip long enough to go right along the back, around two corners and a couple of inches along each side.  Put the zip into the middle of the back section, don't try to get it next to the piping! 

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 00:29:37 AM »
If you use flat felled seams and double row of stitches I guess you can get away with sew-all Gütermann. I went for the extra strength thread when I reupholstered a pair of chairs last summer. My Singer 201 did the job effortlessly so I guess your Pfaff will do just fine. You have to do something clever were the seams has to take a lot of stress.

crooknees

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 10:38:58 AM »
Thank you ladies. You have all given me a lot of help. I shall use the Sew All and double stitch the seams, to play safe.
All three cushions are 21" wide and I have bought 36" zips. I will be wrapping the new foams in Dacron batting and your suggestion of a slippery type cover is a good one.
The chair is in reality, a 1920s. Bed Chair. A brilliant design, where the footrest pulls out from under the seat and the bottom seat cushion (of two) just flips over to the foot reast. Back drops down flat and it is very comfortable. Or will be again when it has it's new cushions.  :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »
I always use this stockingnette to cover foam pads.. it is very stretchy
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

crooknees

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 12:08:19 PM »
Thank you vegegrow. I will try to track down some stockinet. May come back to you if I'm unsuccessful. -<

Vegegrow

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 12:44:42 PM »
Sorry crooknees I thought I'd put a link... there are lots of sellers on ebay if you only want a small piece... or a good fabric shop that does curtaining should sell it
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/White-Upholstery-Tubular-Stockinette-Cushion-Wrap-Lining-per-Metre/717138853?iid=222020350316

crooknees

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 13:40:03 PM »
Oh Thank You vegegrow. I will chase that up now. I really need to make a start on this project.