The Sewing Place

Retreats

Lowena

Retreats
« on: November 10, 2017, 12:11:13 PM »
Has anyone ever been on a P & Q residential retreat ? I see them advertised and people discuss them on FB. They seem very popular and usually, good value for money. I  wondered if anyone had experienced them?
I would be very tempted, except, people usually go in small, friendship groups afaict. I wouldn't like to be the only one there on my own.There seems to be a big social element to them.
Also, tutored or not?? if you just do your own thing, you might as well be at home  -< If you have a tutor, not only is it more expensive, but I'd hate my efforts being picked apart  :|
I did wonder about a group of us getting together and organising one, but don't know how viable it would be?.....
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ellabella

Re: Retreats
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 14:02:17 PM »
What a brilliant idea!

We wouldn't need a tutor, there is enough expertise among this group.

Just a couple of days with people who understand why I love sewing so much.

twopence

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 15:02:16 PM »
I haven’t done a quilting/sewing one but many (over 33) Elnnina and I went on a machine knitting one in west Wales for a week with another friend.  We packed three knitting machines, cases and ourselves into a Hillman Imp!  When we arrived it was an old mill and accommodation was one in the mill and two in a caravan which Elnnina and I had as we weren’t driving.  We had a lovely week and could knit whenever we wanted.  I also remember a visit to a mill and walking on the beach in wellies.  I’m sure Elnnina will put any details that I’ve got wrong right.

I’ve also done this with another friend setting up to sew over a few days with a dining table full of sewing machines and cutting on the lounge floor.  Ironing board in the kitchen by the kettle for regular cuppas.  I made a cold summer soup for lunch one day and DD1 who was about 12 and helping was not impressed.

I’d probably be up for doing this.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 16:41:07 PM »
Good oh, girls, seems like the beginning of a plan  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sewbee

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 16:55:18 PM »
Has anyone ever been on a P & Q residential retreat ? I see them advertised and people discuss them on FB. They seem very popular and usually, good value for money. I  wondered if anyone had experienced them?
I would be very tempted, except, people usually go in small, friendship groups afaict. I wouldn't like to be the only one there on my own.There seems to be a big social element to them.
Also, tutored or not?? if you just do your own thing, you might as well be at home  -< If you have a tutor, not only is it more expensive, but I'd hate my efforts being picked apart  :|
I did wonder about a group of us getting together and organising one, but don't know how viable it would be?.....

That would be so much fun, Lowena. I am a complete beginner at quilting, although I used to do it by hand when I was a student. I always had a needle or crochet hook in my hands and if neither of those, then a sewing machine. I am thinking of taking a class not too far from me so I can learn the basics. I am all for a retreat!

Deafoldbat

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 19:21:36 PM »
I went to a couple of the Cabot Conference weekends when they ran. A weekend of sewing, with tutor (which adds to the expense, of course) doing something interesting (Mariner's Compass once time, Lone Star the other), and room, meals and tea and cakes provided.

I'm sure we could manage something just as good, if a little less glamorous. If you just do your own thing, it's still nice to be with people who will come and talk it over, help if needed and perhaps learn from one another - eg you could learn to do proper flying geese or fmq!

rubywishes

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 05:42:45 AM »
So now I'm really grumpy! You guys get all the fun! :'(
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 09:01:43 AM »
I’ve been on lots of scrapbooking retreats, most have been great. Twice a year a group of 9 of us hire a cottage just outside Skipton for a long weekend and craft away... we’ve been doing this since 2009, always great fun.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »
Quite some years ago on TSF we organised a general sewing weekend
In a scout  Hut.   We had a brilliant time and there was a great exchange of ideas and techniques.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily