The Sewing Place

Sewing Machine Bulb

Ploshkin

Sewing Machine Bulb
« on: November 11, 2017, 15:45:24 PM »
My Elna 664 Overlocker has a miserable level of horrible yellow light.  I do have a daylight lamp on my sewing table but can't get it into a useful position to help when I am using the machine.  Either it's in the way or I bang my head on it.

The machine has a 15w bayonet bulb which looks pretty standard.  I was looking to see if I could get an LED to replace it.
I have found this but it doesn't list the machine I have.  It does say universal.  Would it be safe do you think to use one of these if the fitting is the same?
Life's too short for ironing.

Madame Cholet

Re: Sewing Machine Bulb
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 15:54:56 PM »
So long as the fitting is the same, personally I would give it a try.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 17:26:57 PM »
I’ve bought those for my featherweights...they don’t get hot so no burnt hands.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 17:32:35 PM »
15W bayonet is the basic one for many very old and not that old (B15 socket, 15 millimeter diameter). It should fit, some have smaller sockets, mini size bulb, and there are all kinds.

I have bought this type of bulb for several of  my machine, they have the same dimensions as the old ones. The tricky thing can be number of light diodes (the yellow square patches), the more there are of them the longer the bulb is. If the bulb points downwards, it can be an advantage to have have a few of the square patches on the end. If there's enough space in your machine you can experiement with higher wattage (longer bulb).

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 18:05:55 PM »
Yes, you can replace almost any conventional bulb with an LED one so long as the fitting is the same.  The one you linked to is a small bayonet cap (SBC) 15mm diameter, not a regular bayonet cap (BC) which is 22mm diameter, but SBC is probably what your machine takes.  Any electrical retailer will sell them.

We've just had LED lights fitted to the new kitchen ceiling and LEDs in the ceiling fitting in the new little work room and they are much brighter than the modern long-life flourescent bulbs or the traditional incandescent ones.

The other advantage of LEDs is that they don't get hot.  That's why we replace the conventional bulbs in vintage machines.  Modern machines have the bulb in much less easily touched positions.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

arrow

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 18:22:27 PM »
I'm still not that happy with the color on these bulbs, even of they are so called "warm white" there is something bluish or purplish to it. The best spot light I have is a 40W halogen G9 bulb; an adjustable reading lamp I have pointing down at the sewing machine. I still like the 25W and 40W incadecent bulb  in my floor lamp, they are hard to find now.

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 18:34:09 PM »
When the light went on one of my machines I struggled to get a replacement as quickly as I wanted it and there are no sewing machine shops near enough to me that I'm aware of so to prevent me having to travel miles I used a fridge bulb.  It works and has carried on working, it may be me but I think the light is a bit brighter than the machine bulbs.

arrow

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 17:28:28 PM »
I reread my post, and I noticed it came off a bit wrong. I am mostly happy with the new LED bulbs, they give much more light and it's all within acceptable. I actually think some of the fridge bulbs and mini bulbs in stores are exactly the same as some types sewing machine bulbs. With LED we don't have to worry with wattage that much, they come of as very robust too.

Francesca

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 23:01:57 PM »
I must be in the minority, as I can't stand daylight bulbs and they make me feel sick  :x I have a white one in my overlocker and a warm one in my sewing machine and when I flip between the two it's absolutely awful. I really do need to change the O/L bulb for a warm white.