The Sewing Place

Scraps

Pearl

Scraps
« on: November 12, 2017, 08:34:39 AM »
May I ask how you organise your scraps? 

Currently, mine are thrown in two boxes, one for bigger scraps and one for smaller scraps but when I'm looking for something, I have to look through both boxes.  I'm wondering if it would be better to organise them by colour (or just to throw the small scraps away).  My sewing room is a mess and I usually end up working in the dining room.  I think if I got better organised, I might achieve more.

TIA

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Scraps
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 08:56:03 AM »
I try very hard to throw small bits away, and haven't amassed toooo many bigger bits yet, having only really started sewing again the last 18 months or thereabouts, so they are all piled up together.  When my sewing room is finished, I need to be organised!

fajita

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 09:09:42 AM »
When I first thought about saving scraps I was just going to cut my scraps immediately into the biggest squares they would cut into, and store them by size. I think I will still do that.

One day.

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 09:15:56 AM »
There's a charity shop near me where they sell unwanted fabric and haberdashery so I take scraps in there. They bag up matching fabric pieces and they sell very well. Of course, inevitably, I come out with more than I take in!  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:20:21 AM »
I have one clear plastic box for left over jelly roll strips and one for left over charm squares.Everything else ................. :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 10:32:36 AM »
I have one clear plastic box for left over jelly roll strips and one for left over charm squares.Everything else ................. :ninja:

I know, Low, and I have emptied the bin three times while I've been sorting and I have a bag for the charity shop, but I do think it would be liberating to tip the whole lot into the bin.    :S

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »
The sense of freedom is great Pearl...you know in your heart that you should keep scraps, but know equally well that you'll never use them Liberate yourself...I'm here to hold your hand  :devil: :D

maliw

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »
Strips go into a box - I started a strip quilt ages ago (haven't done any for a long time :|) and squares in another. Not sure what for but my feelings - it will come in useful!!!!. When I don't know. ;)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 11:17:54 AM »
I have learned by experience not to cut left over fabric into any sort of square or strip, it's bound to be wrong when you want to use it.  My P&Q weight leftovers (FQs and smaller) are stored in 5L Really Useful boxes.  I started with three, but I've now got 9 stacked up under the work desk.  Organised by colour groups.  Bigger pieces are in a couple of larger boxes.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 11:39:32 AM »
Really Useful Boxes are brilliant for so many things.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 11:46:18 AM »
They're the sort of boxes I have, but much cheaper as they're from Poundstretcher

Pearl

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 11:48:59 AM »
I have IKEA Kallax with Drona canvas boxes.

LeilaMay

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 12:40:35 PM »
POLITELY SNIPPED
May I ask how you organise your scraps? 

TIA

Can I ask "How big is a scrap?"

There must come a point where although a piece might be useful to someone -  I'm thinking quilts made with postage size rectangles or something here - it's never going to be used BY YOU? Or you made something in a certain colourway for someone, but it's not you and you don't like it enough to really use it again?

Then I'd get rid of it. Only keep bits you like, and I'd colour sort them roughly if it helps.

You could as others do, and send 'em to charity shops - you could (gawd help us) start a colurways themed scrap swap here LOL But don't let it be a burden, if you don't want them, let them go

:pin:

Pearl

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 12:58:51 PM »
The sense of freedom is great Pearl...you know in your heart that you should keep scraps, but know equally well that you'll never use them Liberate yourself...I'm here to hold your hand  :devil: :D

Thanks for the handhold, Low.  The smaller scraps are sorted!  Instead of picking out ones to throw away, I picked out the ones I want to keep.   0_0

As for how big is a scrap.  I had been keeping some very small pieces.  I kept changing my mind about colour whilst making August's BOM and had lots of 2 1/2" half square triangles.  Not any more. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 13:02:10 PM by Pearl »

Vegegrow

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 13:37:42 PM »
Scraps are dangerous.. ask me how I know ... :devil: Imi sent me a huge bundle and I seem to have become addicted to bears.. and baby bears.. and 'A certain bears quilt competition' quilt was made from teeny tiny oakshott triangles gifted from Imi
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz