The Sewing Place

3 Belles - Progress

b15erk

3 Belles - Progress
« on: November 13, 2017, 15:45:55 PM »
This stalled a bit with the trimmings saga, and life in general poking it's nose in.....

So, yesterday I made a start on the petticoats, and nearly finished all 3.  Just waiting for measurements, then I can do the waistbands and finish off.

One bodice is ready for sewing, but work halted again, as the sleeves caused me problems.

I've decided to steam ahead, with the simplest construction, and adjust as necessary.

Pic of petticoats attached.
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

Re: 3 Belles - Progress
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 18:14:52 PM »
Funnily enough, I woke up in the night thinking of these dresses  :S Delusions of Princess grandeur perhaps  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 19:49:36 PM »
Ah .. you can't beat a net petticoat for adding a bit of juzeuch  to a dress  (juzeuch is a made up word which I used a lot when I made wedding dresses ... definition ...that feeling when you spin round with a dress and it moves with the petticoat) (Oxford English Dictionary here I come  :D)
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:00:58 AM »
First bodice piece is prepped, and looks OK.  Just pleated organza laid over cheap satin. Not sewn together yet as I wanted to get the other two ready as well.

Second one was an absolute pig.  Stretch crushed velvet.  Nightmare.  That's two hours of my life I'll never get back.....

Decided that although I want each dress slightly different, stretch crushed velvet will not be one of the options.

So, need more satin, and more organza.  :S

I've already done several versions of the sleeves (just little cap type things), but definitely not using the velvet, so satin it is.  However, the problem with this is that it frays like hell.  I trimmed the sleeves down turned through and understitched and the seam started to fray straight away.  Maybe I'll try overlocking it???  :S

Thinking cap back on.... ><

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 11:32:01 AM »
I broke my Featherweight last night, whilst using the ruffler for these blessed frocks, and spent 2 hours trying to fix it.

Eventually, abandoned the idea of a fix, I think I should just throw it through the window....  :'(

So, I brought the net and organza into work today.  Set up the old 201k.  An hour, and two broken needles later, and I have ruffles!  Miles and miles of them!!!  :D

I do hope OH doesn't notice that there is a working sewing machine next to my desk.....  ;)

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »
Tell him it's just there to keep you company...  ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 09:24:56 AM »
OK, after all the hoohaa about the gathered organza, there has been a design change, which I'm delighted with, but no longer needs frills and flounces.

I spent the whole weekend on these frocks, and I'm now seeing light at the end of the tunnel.  One dress just needs attaching at the waist, and the placket finishing.  The reason for the placket, is so that I can put two rows of kam snaps at the back in case it's too tight.  No measurements have been forthcoming from DGD, and I really needed to crack on, so I used the standard mesurements, and my best guess.

The second is ready for the bodice assembly, then the skirt to be tackled.  This should be easier on this one as I have already done one, and DD has sent measurements, which really help.  Not difficult, but fiddly and time consuming.

The third is at the back of the queue, and will not be nearly so detailed. It's for a 2 yr old, and I don't think she will be too bothered as long as it's yellow!

I do need to asses the fabric situation though, because although I bought 2 more yards of organza, and another metre of the yellow satin, I think I will need some more... :S  One metre of satin was wasted when I ripped the skirt length, and the tear went in the wrong direction..... :o  Also, some of the organza was cut for flounces which are not going to happen now. 

I think I will just try to do what I can with what I have, and then see what I have left.  This project has used a great deal of fabric.

All in all though, I'm seeing some progress.  ;)

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 09:24:48 AM »
I did a little more to these frocks yesterday, but I'm afraid it's 2 steps forward and 3 steps back atm.

I need to unpick dress 1 at the waist.  I'm not happy with the bulk of the fabric where it joins the bodice.  Apart from that I'm pretty happy with it.

While it is in 2 halves, I'll put a bit of gold trim on the organza.  The trim arrived eventually from China, and will show up better, and pull less than the rows of gold stitching I originally did.

Still waiting for measurements for the eldest and youngest, so will have to rattle GD's cage this morning.

I'm hoping to get off work a bit early again, so that I can crack on....

Jessie

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 09:28:44 AM »
Gosh Jessie, they do seem like hard work.... sounds like you're making wedding dresses  :loveit:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »
It does feel a bit that way Low!  I love doing it though.  Especially when I see my lovely girlies wearing them!  <3

Time does get very tight though at this time of the year, and I'm sure it will be the usual last minute dash!  :S

It doesn't help that our family Christmas is very early, as we go away for Christmas and New Year.  OH is being very good about letting me home early to get some sewing done.  Weekends are usually the best - as long as we don't get visitors!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 08:55:57 AM »
The last is first!

This is 2yr old Lucey's dress.  I started hers first, but rapidly changed tack.  I planned to use stretch crushed velvet, so there would be no fastenings, but velvet and princess seams are not a match made in heaven!  So, the front is poly satin, overlaid with poly sparkle organza, and the back is the velvet (hand stitched mainly!).  It needs a press, but I'm pleased with it. 

This one got the bling, because the Chinese order arrived in time.  The other two will not be so 'blingy'.

So, one down, and two to finish.  Should be done in time....

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 09:40:36 AM »
Truly gorgeous!!   :loveit:

I can just imagine how thrilled I would have been with a dress like that as a little girl.   0_0  She isn't going to want to take it off - ever!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 09:03:20 AM »
Slow going as I unpicked the first dress because the sleeves weren't right, and I wasn't happy about the skirt. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it back together today, and start to finish Lilya's.

DGD, only sent me measurements for the other two yesterday - I've been pestering for ages, and the littlest frock, which is finished, is about 5 cms too short as I had to guess!  :S I'm not thrilled with her, but at least Lucey won't trip over a long skirt!  :S (She's only 2, but tall)

Fingers crossed I've left enough wiggle room for the next to be adjusted.....  ><

Lots of slow work to do, as the bling arrived and I want to use a bit.

Jessie

Samantha

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 10:33:10 AM »
Jessie that first one is amazing! Can you make one for me?!  :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 14:31:12 PM »
I think a lot of us would like to come to a belles party Jessie... although my colour preference would be pink ..or red... or purple ... yum Cadbury purple  :loveit:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz