The Sewing Place

Anyone Crochet?

b15erk

Anyone Crochet?
« on: March 08, 2017, 09:20:56 AM »
New GChild due in a few months, and I need to get cracking on a few blankets. 

I have a nice utility one in mind, crocheted diagonally.  I did one for Lilya, and it was the most used of all the blankets.

I'd also like to do a pram sized one, I did a nice Daisy one last year, but the details are on the old site, so I'll have to have a root around for the pattern.

I'd love to hear from any crochet-ers out there - just in case I need your help!!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ellabella

Re: Anyone Crochet?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 09:33:19 AM »
I used to crochet more than I knitted, it grows so much quicker.

I started in the 60s Granny Squares era.

The crocheted blanket I did for my first GS was still going strong for number two.  I used a cotton/bamboo mix in really vibrant colours.  The yarn did have a tendency to split but gave a soft feel with no fluff.

Enjoy GS/D Jessie, is Liyla looking forward to being a big sister?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 09:35:01 AM by Ellabella »

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 09:34:22 AM »
Hi Jessie, I recently got back into crochet after a gap of around 30 years.  It was the imminent grandchild that spurred me on! (He has arrived now and is, predictably, gorgeous.) I made a pram-sized baby blanket and a snail.  Yep, that's right, a snail.  He's quite cute, actually.  I'll put photos in the gallery.

I had some help from other TSF crocheters with patterns and also found the 'Love Crochet' site, which has a lot of patterns available, some free, some not.

Looking forward to seeing the results!

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 09:50:57 AM »
Oh you lovely people!!  My own support group:)

Lilya is taking the responsibility of being a big sister very seriously, but she's still only 3, and the only real difference is that Mummy is often very sick.  DD suffers from hyperemesis, and the poor thing is suffering badly.

Still, things are moving on, and the little mite needs to be warm.

I've found my two patterns:

http://colorncream.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/flower-square-tutorial-vi.html

I did this last year in white with yellow centres, must see if I can find any pics.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spring-into-summer-blanket

The second is one I did using rows of colour, and it proved to be really useful.

SS, I'm intrigued by your snail, Lilya is fascinated by them, and I am often called on to do a 'snail bun' in her hair!

I'm going to oil my fingers, and then the fun can begin!!

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 10:17:19 AM »
Two lovely patterns.  I particularly like the Spring into Summer blanket, with no squares to join up and easy to make to your own size.  I've downloaded that one and might give it a go myself.

Here's the link to the Love Crochet Sammy Snail pattern https://www.lovecrochet.com/sammy-the-snail-in-paintbox-yarns-dk-cro-toy-006

Maximum

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 11:40:51 AM »
Hi Jessie, enjoy the new grand child. My youngest daughter is expecting a boy in early July (makes me feel really old). I've not tried the corner 2 corner blankets which seem very popular but probably need to get cracking soon. Hope your daughter gets over the sickness stage soon - I can't think of anything worse than that plus coping with a bouncy toddler. Have you thought of borrowing a Royal nanny!?

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 14:18:07 PM »
I love the snail!!  I'm sure I'll be able to fit one in at some point:)

The corner to corner blanket is a really quick, easy make, and the edging looks sooo good!  Very useful piece.

DD's baby is due in August, but we don't know what flavour yet - knowing us it will be another girl.  We don't seem to produce boys:(

The sickness, I'm afraid will last the length of her pregnancy - I pass all the good stuff onto the girls.  We don't do fun pregnancy, so this will be her last I think.  Hyperemesis is horrible, you're not ill, but you feel so awfully sick and nauseous all the time....

Off to practice some stitches now!

Jessie

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 17:54:06 PM »
I am still trying ( unsuccessfully atm ) to get into crochet. My d.i.l showed me how to start, but it seems I've even forgotten how to do that  :|
Having bought some crochet hooks, I'm determined to have a go  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 17:57:07 PM »
I crochet sporadically - when I worked for Phildar  I was translating for crochet as well as knitting. I've got a project on the go at the mo which seemed a good idea at the time. I have a dislike of crocheting squares so anything has to be all or nothing - I'm doing a double bed quilt in fine cotton with a tiny hook and I'm blowed if I can see the darned pattern diagram properly - I tried enlarging it but it went Pete Tong so I've shoved the whole thing away. :angry: Will get round to it one day when I get some new eyes!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 17:59:54 PM »
I am still trying ( unsuccessfully atm ) to get into crochet. My d.i.l showed me how to start, but it seems I've even forgotten how to do that  :|
Having bought some crochet hooks, I'm determined to have a go  :D

The hardest parts are a) controlling the wool round your fingers and that comes with practice and b) understanding the patterns. I agree they look like double dutch . There are lots of good vids on YouT. Don't give up!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 18:00:55 PM »
Thanks Cat.... I'll keep on.... keeping on  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

hernibs

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 19:05:13 PM »
Lovely blankets Jessie - especially the Spring and Summer one - indeed nothing to sew up afterwards.

I have said it before and will say it again....for those of you who are still at the learning stage - google Lucy at Attic 24 and you'll get all the tuition you need...very specific photos too

Pearl

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 07:23:19 AM »
You are not alone, Low.  I can knit but find crochet almost impossible.  I hold the hook and wool all wrong and can't tell what is a stitch. If I make a mistake, I have to undo it all.  But I'll keep trying. :wool: :wool: :wool:

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 07:46:32 AM »
I'm the same Pearl.  I knitted a cardigan last year then found that the very nice edging was crocheted  :(  It took me ages to work out how to do it as it was a leaning over backwards stitch but I did manage in the end and it looks really good.  It took my hand about a week to recover.
Life's too short for ironing.

Vegegrow

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 08:32:34 AM »
[quote author=hernibs link=topic=274.msg2336#msg2336 date=1488999913

I have said it before and will say it again....for those of you who are still at the learning stage - google Lucy at Attic 24 and you'll get all the tuition you need...very specific photos too
[/quote]

Crochet is on the list to do sometime Hernibs so thankyou for the tip  http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/
  have bookmarked
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz