The Sewing Place

Anyone Crochet?

hernibs

Re: Anyone Crochet?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »
Vegegrow....... Thanks for putting up the link.....Lucy is a good tutor.....I learned to do a ripple stitch from her and if I can do it anyone can.  She lives in Skipton and is one of the team who produce Yarndale....All things woolly in their cattle market premises (suitably cleaned and aroma free) on a weekend in September every year. They ' yarnbomb' their town, decorating the lampposts with crochet etc.  Fun!

maliw

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 12:35:28 PM »
I crochet too, I managed to teach myself when I was a student - many moons ago. The last project was a 'car blanket' for DGD as DGS said that she had to have one as he won't share his - he gained it by default after refusing to wear a coat on a cold night a couple of months ago and now won't let it go. The blankets have to stay in the car and be used in car seats - nowhere else, aren't kids funny? Be careful with your patterns as American instructions and British ones are different. Check out https://www.allfreecrochet.com/ there are also knitting and sewing websites with similar addresses. Enjoy.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

talamasca

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 17:03:29 PM »
Hi, I've been ignoring all things fabric in lieu of the fab wooly stuff after going to Yarndale last year......everything was too lovely to not know what to do with it so I did Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced classes last year and I <3 crocheting now, which is funny because I very nearly didn't go back to the second beginner class..... I was so frustrated, but practice def makes perfect.  I find Bella Coco's video tutorials really good.

I look forward to seeing what you decide to make.  I'm making Sophie's Universe and just about to start Frida's Flower blankets.  I've just finished a Virus shawl and I've made a few other small things too.  I prefer working in the round and Sophie's Universe is a fab blanket because no joining to do :D

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 11:29:47 AM »
What did I say about the Corner to Corner blanket being quick and easy?  Hhmmpphh.

Not in this case.

I decided to use up some 4 ply, just 2 100g balls of beautiful soft white from a charity shop (45p).  I'm just over the half way mark (apart from the border), and it seems to be taking ages.

However, I do love the look of the 4 ply.

I'll be doing the border in a random colour yarn, but not sure which yet, as we don't know what flavour our new little bump will be:) 

(I'm putting money on pink variations, we have NO blue - yet!)  <3

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sheilago

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 08:45:46 AM »
I learned crochet from You Tube . Like you I have a grandchild on the way , so Ive  done a couple of blankets. Also made a teddy, but I think I used too large a hook as it was lovely, but a little holey, if that's a word. I thought a child might be able to suck or chew the stuffing out, so I gave it to my mother in law, who has dementia and she loves it.

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 10:16:40 AM »
Just finished my corner to corner blanket - felt like it was going on forever!  Pic as soon as it's washed.

I'm going to do another in DK, for DD's sister in law's baby shower.  That should be quicker.

Making from stash too, as I must get rid of some stuff.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 15:39:58 PM »
There are lots of good vids on YouT. Don't give up!

Be careful with crochet tutorials, USA crochet term and UK crochet terms are a step apart.  ie
UK treble  = USA double
UK double = USA single
etc.  It's a bit like our ground floor is their first floor, our first floor is their second floor etc.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Quinkish

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 19:59:37 PM »
Just finished my corner to corner blanket - felt like it was going on forever!  Pic as soon as it's washed.

I'm going to do another in DK, for DD's sister in law's baby shower.  That should be quicker.

Making from stash too, as I must get rid of some stuff.

Jessie

I found the corner to corner style was brilliant for some multi-coloured yarn I had lingering in my stash. I made a blanket for DGS and it now lives on his cot in his green bedroom. It looks very cheerful and the C2C style means the colours were well broken up. It seemed quite speedy to me but I was using DK.

Looking forward to seeing yours!

Efemera

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 09:21:48 AM »
I can do basic stitches but can't read a pattern or follow a chart... my problem is I want to tackle complicated stuff before I can do the basics.. I need to have someone show me how to do it.

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 09:33:07 AM »
Efemera, crochet stitches are easily undone, so find one you like and go for it!  If it's a difficult pattern, I run a piece on the side, so that I can try out my stitch before doing it 'proper'.  I do this with knitting and sewing too.

Quink, just need to finish the ends off this white beast, then I can wash it, and start on the next.

I could be persuaded to go for a random yarn, I'm fed up of doing white.  ;) Can I be cheeky, and ask how much yarn you used in DK?

Jessie

Quinkish

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 15:09:39 PM »
Just looked it up (thank Ravelry) and I used about 900 metres for the C2C part and 280 metres for border of 5 rows of SC (US style).

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Quinkish/spectrum-c2c-ombre-blanket

Missie

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 11:33:41 AM »
Yes, Jessie, I've started.  I can now crochet a nice straight-edged dishcloth; cannot tell you how many attempts it took me to master it.

The only thing I now find is that I have to crochet with an on-line tutorial as I cannot remember the difference between American and UK crochet stitches!

b15erk

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 13:58:43 PM »
You're not on your own with that Missie!!  I think we all struggle.

Q, thank you for that, don't know why I didn't think to do that!  ;)

I started the DK Corner to Corner in the Random, and it's lovely!  So, instead of using from stash, I need to buy more.  :)
It's crocheting up far Quicker than the 4 ply!

Jessie

la scozzese

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2017, 20:17:27 PM »
I can crochet, I usually only crochet cotton because I find wool a bit fiddly to handle with a crochet hook and prefer to knit wool. At the moment no big projects on the go but I'm making some little white flowers for my hairdresser to put in the girls' hair on the day of their First Communion.  :flower: :flower: :flower:

FrancesL

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 17:55:01 PM »

I was taught to crochet (& sew) by my mum when I was quite young .  We had great fun as she was right handed and I'm left handed so I sat in front of her rather than next to her.

I didn't crochet much but years later could remember the basics and used YT left handed tutorials to refresh my memory.

I mainly do throws of various shapes, sizes and patterns but it's great to be able to take it away in the caravan to keep me busy.  Im currently working on two simultaneously for our beds in the van (twin single beds). I've attached a photo showing the bed tidies I've made in the van upholstery/curtain fabrics and you can also see a bit of a throw i made (using left over yarn from a much bigger throw) for our old van - i'm using the same pattern but doing large colour blocks rather than 'stripes' in -so far - red, parchment and chocolate brown.

Frances