The Sewing Place

Help in using a rotary cutter

wombat

Help in using a rotary cutter
« on: November 17, 2017, 18:30:42 PM »
I need to cut some fabric strips and I would normally pull a thread and then use shears.

However as I need several metres it would be faster to use a rotary cutter but the only time I have done this my strip had a slight “V” shape! Has anyone any tips so that I  can avoid this fault.

Deafoldbat

Re: Help in using a rotary cutter
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 19:09:15 PM »
Did you wash the fabric first, or at least open it right out and make sure the selvedges were correctly aligned?

You get the V-shape cut if the fabric isn't folded on the straight grain - try it out on a bit of paper and you'll see (but don't use the cutter!). When the fabric is folded and wound onto the bolt it is not always straight, and any starch etc in the cloth will tend to distort it. This is why pre-washing of patchwork and quilting cottons is recommended as any dressing in the fabric comes out and you can fold it along the grain, matching the selvedges. You will probably find with a crosswise fold that the cut edges will no longer line up. Trim a straight edge once you are satisfied that the grain is as straight as you can get it, and cut carefully. Walking your hand up the ruler will help keep it from slipping - cut, stop but don't lift the cutter, move your hand, then cut some more. it seems fiddly at first but you soon get the hang of it.

wombat

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 19:50:26 PM »
Thank you Deafoldbat. I will give it a go. Not too old to earn new tricks!

rubywishes

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 05:35:27 AM »
Yup, I agree with DOBs advice.....and"spidey hands" creeping up the ruler are essential IMO!!! But keep those fingers well clear of the cutter blade! There are plenty of you tubes you can watch to explain the method too.
Um....a wombat.....in Surrey? :S 0_0
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:39:28 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 10:36:58 AM »
Push down on the cutter, not along and unfortunately it is easier to cut standing up rather than ( as I do  :| ) sitting down.
Triumph of hope over experience :D