The Sewing Place

Norah Batty tights

toileandtrouble

Norah Batty tights
« on: March 08, 2017, 13:14:25 PM »
Having bought several boxes of extra large tights - large too short in the legs, I found they are about a foot (30cm) too long after the lycra has got to work.  I set out OK but end up in town looking like NB.   :(  It's too late to take them back for a refund, so I want to shorten the legs on my overlocker.  The only way the fabric will feed is with a layer of woven underneath and over, which leaves a thick ridge. Any ideas on how to get a neat rolled edge?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

UttaRetch

Re: Norah Batty tights
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 13:27:07 PM »
I bought two pairs of extra large from Evans.  Clearly their extra large is different from those of other stores, and wrinkle around my ankles, which is fine because I wear them with boots.  Take them back if you can.

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 13:49:54 PM »
possibles..?...what about trying that clear flat elastic you put into the seams of jersey knits?
             Or 1/8th or 1/4" chiffon ribbon maybe
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 16:37:43 PM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 15:01:35 PM »
What about a washable stabiliser .. or pull the leg taut by pulling each side of the blade  as it's going through the machine

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 16:40:13 PM »
I'd second the wash-away stabiliser option.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Vegegrow

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 20:01:35 PM »
Yep that sounds like a good idea...
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

datcat23

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 20:43:18 PM »
I have had some luck, with shortening tights on my regular sewing machine, rather than the overlocker.  I put some sew-in interfacing under and on top of the tights, stretch them slightly, and then sew across the leg with a tight zig zag or lightning stitch (stretch stitch).  I will go over the seam a couple of time to be sure, and then trim back the excess tights, and interfacing.  The seam is still a bit bulky, but not as much as the overlocker. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 21:13:03 PM »
Sounds like an excellent idea, datcat. I'm afraid I think tights are just things that don't usually defy the laws of gravity very effectively!  -<
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde