The Sewing Place

Using a voltage transformer with a 110V motor

daisy

Using a voltage transformer with a 110V motor
« on: November 18, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »
I've a 1960s Kenmore that I've been using with a generic YDK motor because the original motor is 110V.

I'd like to try out the original motor as it sounds as if it should be beefier (1.2A @ 110V) than what I'm using. Anyone have any experience/thoughts about using a step-down voltage transformer?

Also, I've no idea if the original motor and foot controller still work because this machine was in storage for many years before I acquired it. Any ideas of how I could check if the 110V motor and controller work in advance, or at least rule out obvious problems with them? I'm hoping to borrow a transformer before buying one but I've not tracked one down yet.

Oh, and the moon on a stick as well please  ;)

Thanks

arrow

Re: Using a voltage transformer with a 110V motor
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 13:49:28 PM »
220V to 110V isn't expensive, stepdown is easier than stepup. The original motor is most likely fine, as well as the foot controller, but this is one of those things you don't know until you have tried it.

If I understand this right, 1.2amp in the US is about the same as 0.6 amp in Europe. 0.6 is twice as much as the old Singer motor on straight stitchers like the 201, 15, 66... The zigzag models like the 401 were given stronger motor, and by 1960s it seems to have become the general standard. That said, my Bernina is not any stronger than my 201 regardless of amps and specs, but definitely speedier.

Some of the old Kenmors are sought after for their super high shank and wide zigzag. Which model do you have?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 21:27:53 PM by arrow »

daisy

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 21:07:28 PM »
Thanks arrow, I'll give it a shot so. Will report back in a week or so, hopefully.

It's a Kenmore 148.210, just like this one: http://stagecoachroadsewing.com/k210.html.
I don't think it's anything particularly special, from a collector's point of view, but it's a nice change from my usual black Singers. I rescued it before a family member, who has no interest in such things, took it to the dump.

It was barely moving but after a good clean and a lot of oil it runs smoothly. I've finally got the persistent tension problems sorted so now I'm anxious to see if the original motor will deliver a bit more speed. I know that it spent at least a few months in a shed and the foot controller, unlike the machine itself, is showing a bit of rust.

It takes a high shank foot, which is a bit of a nuisance for me as I don't have another machine like that, but a set of strangely lightweight Greist ones came with it. And it's HEAVY. Haven't put it on a scales yet, but it definitely takes more effort to haul around than an old 201.

daisy

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 23:32:08 PM »
I finally got my hands on a voltage converter, connected it all up, and pressed the foot controller. It worked!

But it became apparent to me that the cable to the plug and foot controller had degraded a lot more than the matching type cable that runs from the motor to the light fitting. The colour is more faded and it's less bendable. I'll likely replace it. Rewiring should be straightforward but the foot controller appears to be welded shut, and anyway it's pretty rusty.

I tried it out and it seems very fast. I'd love to have some proper data to back the opinion up, but I'm still thinking how I could gather it. Perhaps get it to full speed and then time how long it takes to sew a straight line, say, 30cm long. Then, leaving everything else the same, swap in the generic YDK motor I usually use with my 201K, and repeat the test?

Because this machine came with a nice, compact cabinet, I really hoped it could become my everyday machine for bits and pieces that need to be sewn. Pop it out quickly and fold it away again when done, but because my mischievous one year old had already shown great interest in the voltage converter, I expect it'll have to stay in storage for a bit longer. Don't want him trying to shove his little fingers into the cooling vents or socket. :S

Roger

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 23:42:19 PM »
I have a 500a in the uk. I don’t know how long it’s been here but I bought it with an ancient transformer and it’s lovely to use, definitely my favourite, it’s in a small cabinet and is so easy to take out and put away again. The kids ignore it now, but I really must get them sewing again, I have a little Elma grasshopper they use.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

daisy

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 22:09:17 PM »
I'd think a Grasshopper would be a lovely machine for kids to use. My five year old uses a hand cranked 201K from time to time, when the mood takes her  >:)

Roger

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 00:08:01 AM »
It is lovely, I haven’t replaced the loose belt on it so it slips if they go too fast and the knee lever is at a perfect height for raised chairs. Mine are 6 and 4 :)

I wanted to get them a hand crank and accidentally got a 48k... then realised how rare it was.

But learning on a 201 is a good place to be, they’re lovely and so smooth! Hand cranks are much loved round here by the kids who love watching the parts moving in concert.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 15:57:51 PM »
...But learning on a 201 is a good place to be, they’re lovely and so smooth! Hand cranks are much loved round here by the kids who love watching the parts moving in concert.

If you happen to find a 128 or 28 they are totally facinating with the bobbin winding and shuttle. The 3/4 size can be an advatage for a 4 year old. Much the same for a 99. I imagine a grasshopper is spot on for a 6 year old, grown ups like them too almost as much as the Featherweight.

daisy

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 20:52:18 PM »
Never mind the youngsters, I'd find a shuttle fascinating to watch.

I'm still chuckling at the idea of the kids almost getting the 48K  0_0 It'd be like learning to drive in an incredibly rare vintage car.

Roger

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 18:24:19 PM »
Yep:) the 48k had a near thing and nearly got a lot of love! It’s a very lovely machine, the ottoman roses are beautiful!

The shuttles are amazing to see in action we found an old Vespa in a charity shop, and the kids were delighted by turning the handle and seeing the shuttle shoot back and forth.

The Elna is quite similar to a feather weight very neat and precise and delightfully quiet, with a load of innovative features.  Shame the paint was coming of mine so badly.

Daisy, do you have favourite machines?

daisy

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 21:41:57 PM »
Yes, I do think that the decals on the 48K are the most beautiful of all, but perhaps that's because you don't see them too often.

I learned to sew on my great grandmother's Singer 66K so I have a real soft spot for those, but unfortunately I don't have the space for sewing machines that aren't functional (or at least potentially so) and useful and I found that tackling a big project without reverse, graduated stitch length, and tension was a pain. But then I found a 201K and it was everything I'd dreamed of. All the positives of the 66, essential (for me) extra features and oh so smooth.

I probably do most of my sewing (I use darning and stretch stitches a lot) on a 1995 Bernina 1015 SE (AKA 1011). It doesn't have the vintage charm, but it just works. Never any drama with it. I've sewn just about everything (including plastic) on it and it's never once complained or even hesitated. It was a lucky find on eBay with a Buy It Now price of a fraction of what they usually go for. If I ever have to replace it, I'll happily pay the going rate. For me, it'd be worth every penny.

Unfortunately, I can't warm to this Kenmore at all. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm just not feeling the love. But I do appreciate its strengths so I think it'll be my go-to machine when making curtains or some project with plenty of long, straight stretches. I tried putting in a zipper with it last night and I was pulling my hair out, dealing with the clumsy adjustable zipper foot.