The Sewing Place

Back to the grind again.

Catllar

Back to the grind again.
« on: November 19, 2017, 19:03:30 PM »
Costume hat back on again, but this year I have put my foot down with a firm hand and said "no" to a lot of stuff. SO no practice skirts (10) no crossover tops (19)  no adult flounced skirts (13) Considering last year I had 110 dresses to make I consider myself better off this year. Haven't calculated exactly how many there are but  gonna be easier on me this year.

If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Vegegrow

Re: Back to the grind again.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 20:01:40 PM »
Good for you Catlar... Hooray  :toast:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lollipop

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 19:05:22 PM »
Well done Catlar, hope your resolve lasts  ;)
Was Sewnanny

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 20:06:20 PM »
Good for you, Catllar.  Whatever happened to that ill-advised commission?

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »
Welcome back Cat!  Nice to have you back.  Glad to hear you're not taking any nonsense this year!

What are you working on atm?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 13:24:56 PM »
Hi there. Been a bit quiet of late. Friend having a violent marital problem so have been lending shoulder, tissues and alcohol.

Right, yes the commission is done and paid for. I want to get a  good photo of her wearing it so you can all have a look. When I took it in last week she was wearing thick wooly leggings underneath it and tennis shoes - so not the best base for a photo for my album!  I'm quite pleased with it, but it wouldn't have been my choice.  The dress stays up ok and I took precaution of using transparent straps and I made her some blue ones too.

I've made 3 bata de cola skirts  over the past 2 weeks - a blue, a green and an orange, all with cream frills and white under frills.

Making sleeveless lined tops - got 14 to do.

Also got some backless halter-neck button-front waistcoats on the go. They will go with  asymmetric short samba skirts: black scuba hip band and then re-jiggled costumes from the depths
 of the trunks for the skirts.

Went to the lady in Perpignan who made a set of 14 cross over tops for the little people's presents this year. She charged 20 euros each. No hems finished, gathered  cotton sticky-out ruffles on the neck and sleeves
instead of donuts. Still, I bit my tongue - the kids will love them and I didn't have to make them. I just see all that money and think how much they would have cost to produce - very tiny, so perhaps 4 from a metre. Lycra is (being generous) 18 euros a yard.  plus 30cms of cotton ( 7.50 euros per metre)  Girl has to make a living though. 

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 09:09:29 AM »
Glad to hear you are not killing yourself any more with low/no paying jobs.  Makes me glad I don't make a living sewing, as we would be very poor!

Hope your friend is bearing up.  It's tough dealing with someone else's marital problems - especially if they then kiss and make up....  :S  Especially if there have been embarrassing revelations.....  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 23:16:55 PM »
This one has gone far beyond kiss and make up! It's over. Poor lass has been to estate agent for house valuation, solicitor for advice, psychologist to get head straight, doctor for aids testing, hormone doctor for thyroid problem plus raised blood pressure and all this while she is trying to finish her Masters in Education so she can get a job. She is on unemployment at the mo as the company she worked for closed down and he works part time. As unemployment here is based on your previous income she get more in unemployment than he gets at salary. Therefore unless they come to an amicable settlement she will wind up paying him support! ( And guess which one was playing away - hint: it wasn't her!)

Was with her today - bad day. He is still living in the same building as her - they have a house divided in 2 apartments. I reckon she needs him out but not my place to advise on it.

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 12:21:08 PM »
How very, very sad Cat.  Difficult to advise though, best to be a good friend I think.

One of DD's circle of friends has become the first of the group to be divorced.  She's fortunate the friends of both sexes rallied around, but it's the saddest time for any couple.

Men can be real charmers can't they?

Jessie

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 22:16:05 PM »
Some of them are real twats. I'm lucky - mine's lovely. ( Apart from not dealing with pain at all well!)