The Sewing Place

Holly Berry

Re: Measuring the stretch of knits?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 22:15:05 PM »
The fabric you’ve posted about looks like it has a stabilising thread running through it, so it may not be as stretchy as you think and behave more like a stable, but loose weave. I would get a sample and see what it’s like.

I haven’t sewn this type of fabric yet, I have some similar in my stash, but I would sew the seams with 4 thread overlocker and stabilise the shoulders, and use a knit interfacing. Hopefully, someone will have sewn this and be of more help.

Procrastination get behind me

hernibs

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 23:17:28 PM »
Thanks HollyBerry for replying.....just an ordinary machine here, no overlocker etc....but interfacing yes.
Thanks for all that information.  Just want to know what others think.

jen

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 08:57:50 AM »
Sorry, not specific to sweater knits, but about size. I find it more useful to work out what size to cut a pattern for a given knit by taking the piece to a mirror, wrapping it round my hips to the desired degree of tightness and measuring the width used - then checking the actual measurements of the pattern at hip level. This allows for how figure hugging one might want the finished result.

Maximum

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 09:09:36 AM »
Hernibs - that fabric looks lovely but do get a sample because I have a feeling it might fray when cut. Look at the Jalie site for videos on sewing knit fabric with a sewing machine.
Can't help with actually using sweater knits, it's on my list of things to do.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 10:03:02 AM »
Hernibs, I haven't made jumpers out of any of this sort of thing.  I prefer cardigans or jacket types. 
I'm afraid when you put the link up I saw the word 'wool' and thought aaagggggghhhhh.   I can't wear wool ne t to my skin so wouldn't have been one I might have used.  I have had a look and it does look nice, shame it would drive me mad. 
It would be a really good idea to get a sample as Maximum said.  Could you email and ask what sort of stretch it has?  Other than that I really like jen's idea for determining the width you need, it's so logical and simple!

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 10:08:25 AM »
I like Jen's idea too.  Very simple, and I don't know why I've never thought to do it this way before!

Thanks Jen!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.