The Sewing Place

Doorstop

Syrinx

Doorstop
« on: November 21, 2017, 17:53:16 PM »
So I'm upsizing my pattern weight dragon to doorstop dragon.ho

However. What goes in a doorstop to make it heavy? I usually use arborio rice (or green lentils at a push) but I'm not sure what to pop in a doorstop!

Any tips would be lovely.

sewingj

Re: Doorstop
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 18:54:00 PM »
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 19:20:26 PM by sewingj »

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 19:36:04 PM »
Cat litter works well...  :meow: unused ;)
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Bowerbird

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 21:25:24 PM »
Cat litter works well...  :meow: unused ;)

That is my current plan this week, tho I thought of putting it in a plastic bag first in case there's any fine dust (that and we have the grand :meow: visiting & he doesn't need to get any ideas).

Oh I make myself laugh  0_0 . As if I'm going to get them finished before he goes home.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 21:27:16 PM by Bowerbird »

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 21:27:51 PM »
That is my current plan this week, tho I thought of putting it in a plastic bag first in case there's any fine dust (that and we have the grandcat visiting & he doesn't need to get any ideas).

Yes I usually double wrap in plastic and stuff with toy/ cushion filler
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 22:08:22 PM »
I've seen tutorials use actual solid weights then encased in something like lentils etc.

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 22:34:05 PM »
I've seen tutorials use actual solid weights then encased in something like lentils etc.
That's a good idea. A suitable flat stone would do it.

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 07:01:33 AM »
I didn't make mine I bought them cheap, 1 from Aldi and the other from Primark. If it's any help mine are 3/4 full of sand.

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 08:44:58 AM »
Pea shingle?

Hummingbird

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 14:48:51 PM »
I use pea shingle as it's cheap for the weight. Make an inner bag of lining/scrap fabric and you can always add some stuffing around it if required to help create the right shape for the finished item.

I would wonder what might happen to cat litter if it got damp, and some types do give off dust.

Sewbee

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 17:11:54 PM »
This reminds me of an old family story. For as long as I can remember my mother baked the best bread - and made it by hand. However, it apparently wasn't always the case!  Apparently, when she first tried to make it, she left out the yeast but baked it anyway, probably not realising it had to rise! I am told no one could cut into the brick of bread and even the birds couldn't peck it! Any good as a door stop? ;)

sewmuchmore

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 17:36:53 PM »
Big bag of the cheapest own brand rice from supermarket. Look in the international section it is much cheaper. 1/3 fill then use a cheapo duvet for the filling. Much cheaper than Kapok or other toy stuffing.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Vegegrow

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 18:55:02 PM »
When I worked in a fabric shop the owners mother used to make 'cute' sofa doorstops from a brick..... :ninja: they had a small teddy affixed unfortunately we had several returned  because they went 'mouldy ' I think the brick started  to sweat in a warm house .. and lots of peoples houses are very warm ...so we had to refund them.

'I would wonder what might happen to cat litter if it got damp, and some types do give off dust.'

that's why I double wrap... I have one in my living room its survived the last 10 years and has a zipped removal cover which gets washed
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 20:29:24 PM by Vegegrow »

Sewbee

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 19:59:59 PM »
When I worked in a fabric shop the owners mother used to make 'cute' sofa doorstops from a brick..... :ninja: they had a small teddy affixed unfortunately we had several returned  because they went 'mouldy ' I think the brick started  to sweat in a warm house .. and lots of peoples houses are very warm ...so we had to refund them.

'I would wonder what might happen to cat litter if it got damp, and some types do give off dust.'
that's why I double wrap... I have one in my living room its survived the last 10 years and has a zipped removal cover which gets washed

If you use "used" cat litter I think they might be returned!  ;) :meow:

fajita

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 20:30:08 PM »
Grey bird - pea shingle is gravel, shaped like peas.