The Sewing Place

A brief thought of PJ's and then ....

Iminei

A brief thought of PJ's and then ....
« on: November 22, 2017, 13:52:35 PM »
Saw some gorgeous animal printed brushed cotton in the Emporia this morning ....

and briefly flirted with the thought of two pairs or PJs for the littlies in my life ...
considered buying some , looked at a pattern and then gave up, remembering every other time I have attempted to make anything the least bit useful!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

Re: A brief thought of PJ's and then ....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 14:59:27 PM »
remembering every other time I have attempted to make anything the least bit useful!
Hmmm, so how come I can remember a picture of a little girl (Jasmine?) wearing a pair of dungarees you had made?
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 15:08:50 PM »
They were a fluke!

Sewbee

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 16:28:53 PM »
Iminei, you can do this!!!

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 16:53:44 PM »
I'm sure they weren't a fluke Iminei and you know there are plenty of people on here to guide you just as you do with novice quilters.  If someone can recommend a tried and tested pattern and you are using woven cotton you shouldn't have the issues (draping, knit fabric ...) that have knocked your confidence recently.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 17:05:22 PM »
You can do it.  Jim jams don't need fitting as such and you won't be wrangling metres of fabric.  You used to make waistcoats, which I think is of a much higher order of sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 18:17:56 PM »
Get rid of that Can't Do Hat!! Anyone who can make waistcoats can make anything
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 21:07:34 PM »

YOU CAN DO IT, sorry for shouting but I want to make sure you can hear me, have faith in yourself girl, we believe in you

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 21:57:37 PM »
You CAN do it, and we want to see pictures.
 :fabric: :snip: :pattern: :sew: :trousers: :gin:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 22:41:58 PM »
Not to mention your beautiful quilts.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bowerbird

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 03:53:14 AM »
DO IT!

Littlies PJ's are ideal, they'll love the fact that you sewed just for them and they'll love the pattern.

And if not a 100% success, well it'll be dark most of the time they're wearing them, and they'll outgrow them long before they develop a critical eye.  ;) they'll just be left with the memory of fabulous pj's.

My return to sewing was with toddlers clothes; small, simple and a non-discerning recipient who grew. Along with my skills.

ETA-not everything we make has to be to haute couture standards.

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 08:32:39 AM »
Awww Girls, you make me blush!
But Im afraid neither the fabric nor the pattern made it out of the emporia! and I have more than enough to do,
I'm just gathering all the mojo I can find to start!

So today will not be spent watching the drivel on TV whilst eating pistachios and glugging Gin (Ooopps!!) and hoping fervently that Imself will b**** off to the boat to leave me in peace ...

I will be cracking down on the ('orrible ... Sorry Jan) Jan Hassard project that Im sooooo not in love with; its just so tedious, tedious tedious!

Despite having run out of the green polka dot fabric ... which is not that green polka dot you or I have seen in our emporia ... Oh No! that would be far too easy! Its a different green with a bigger more spaced apart dot!
I saw what I think it is on ebay yesterday, after coming home empty handed from our biggest local emporia, and have snapped it up so now have to wait for the postie whilst  keeping my fingers crossed its the right thing ... heres the progress so far, I have worked out I need 24 more blocks ...groan!!!

But I have got the black and white to do ....

and hopefully have enough fabric to make enough blocks!

So wish me well girls, its going to be a loooonnnggg day!

Sewbee

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 08:39:29 AM »
Awww Girls, you make me blush!
But Im afraid neither the fabric nor the pattern made it out of the emporia! and I have more than enough to do,
I'm just gathering all the mojo I can find to start!

So today will not be spent watching the drivel on TV whilst eating pistachios and glugging Gin (Ooopps!!) and hoping fervently that Imself will b**** off to the boat to leave me in peace ...

I will be cracking down on the ('orrible ... Sorry Jan) Jan Hassard project that Im sooooo not in love with; its just so tedious, tedious tedious!

Despite having run out of the green polka dot fabric ... which is not that green polka dot you or I have seen in our emporia ... Oh No! that would be far too easy! Its a different green with a bigger more spaced apart dot!
I saw what I think it is on ebay yesterday, after coming home empty handed from our biggest local emporia, and have snapped it up so now have to wait for the postie whilst  keeping my fingers crossed its the right thing ... heres the progress so far, I have worked out I need 24 more blocks ...groan!!!

But I have got the black and white to do ....

and hopefully have enough fabric to make enough blocks!

So wish me well girls, its going to be a loooonnnggg day!

Imi, when I first looked at the photos, especially the green one, I thought each piece was a diamond with a black border layered on yet a bigger piece with a black border but after enlarging it I can see each tiny square making up that huge diamond. OMG!!! All that work! Well done!

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »
I find most of Jan Hassard's designs uninspiring, good for you that you keep on going with it  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lollipop

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 18:31:55 PM »
Iminei, anyone who can make such beautiful quilts would find a pair of PJs a doddle. They don't need any of the precision that your gorgeous quilts do. That said, you might find them tedious to make! |O
Was Sewnanny