The Sewing Place

Any sales on indie patterns for Black Friday?

Sewbee

Any sales on indie patterns for Black Friday?
« on: November 22, 2017, 16:57:53 PM »
Has anyone seen any? Such as Liesl & Co., Closet Patterns, Sew Over It and others? I don't see any.

Mama likes to make

Re: Any sales on indie patterns for Black Friday?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 18:33:44 PM »
I got this in an email

Through this Friday, you'll save 40% off the retail price of all Liesl + Co., Oliver + S, and Straight Stitch Society patterns.

Use coupon code HOLIDAY2017 at checkout for your discount to be applied. Follow the links below to see which patterns are included in the sale.

Details: Offer expires at 11:59 PM EST Friday, November 24 2017. Coupon code must be used at checkout for discount to apply. Discount good on all paper and digital patterns from Liesl + Co., Oliver + S, and Straight Stitch Society only. Discount not applicable on past orders.
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Sewbee

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 18:36:01 PM »
I got this in an email

Through this Friday, you'll save 40% off the retail price of all Liesl + Co., Oliver + S, and Straight Stitch Society patterns.

Use coupon code HOLIDAY2017 at checkout for your discount to be applied. Follow the links below to see which patterns are included in the sale.

Details: Offer expires at 11:59 PM EST Friday, November 24 2017. Coupon code must be used at checkout for discount to apply. Discount good on all paper and digital patterns from Liesl + Co., Oliver + S, and Straight Stitch Society only. Discount not applicable on past orders.

I got that one, too, but thought it was for the USA. I'll have another look.

Sewbee

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 18:38:29 PM »
When I click on the link in the email to shop for a Liesl pattern and then add a pattern to the cart, the amount is in dollars. :(

Mama likes to make

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 18:40:54 PM »
I've ordered from the US site no problem before. I don't think they have any other version.
2018 fabric used 12m.

Sewbee

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 18:44:48 PM »
I've ordered from the US site no problem before. I don't think they have any other version.

I've seen one or two sites in the UK including Amazon sell Liesl patterns but of course this discount wouldn't apply. (I've been waiting for Black Friday sales to buy a few patterns at the best price.)

I'll go and try again and put in a few and see if the postage still gives me a good final price.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 18:49:01 PM »
Ah I get you now. The 40% off does make the postage from the US better but I guess you would need a few to really get the benefit of it. I know it definitely worked out well for me when I picked up maybe 4 a couple of years ago.
2018 fabric used 12m.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 18:50:52 PM »
There's a list of indie company sales here.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewbee

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 18:58:45 PM »
There's a list of indie company sales here.

Thanks. I see some brands I don't know at that link so I have some browsing ahead of me. :)

Meanwhile, I wrote to Liesl and suggested they make their 40% coupon available to UK residents - and if they won't, then they need to differentiate between USA/Canadian residents and UK residents. In other words, have two different newsletters because it's not fair that we can't use it once we've seen it.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 19:08:50 PM »
Do they have a Uk website? I think as their codes are always for purchases through their website rather than from resellers there's no difference in policy between the countries. I presume if you went into a fabric shop in the USA that carried their patterns there would be no discount either and the only way to use the coupon is on the website. The same way if say a Tilly and the Buttons pattern was on sale via Tilly's website there would be no requirement for a shop selling Tilly patterns to honour it.
2018 fabric used 12m.

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 19:19:37 PM »
Just a reminder that if you buy more than £15 worth of goods from a supplier outwith the EU you may get clobbered for customs charges.

Sewbee, I got an email from Fabric Focus in Edinburgh and they are doing 3 for the price of 2 on patterns and 20% off fabrics for Black Friday if you are in the area.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewbee

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 19:31:18 PM »
Just a reminder that if you buy more than £15 worth of goods from a supplier outwith the EU you may get clobbered for customs charges.

Sewbee, I got an email from Fabric Focus in Edinburgh and they are doing 3 for the price of 2 on patterns and 20% off fabrics for Black Friday if you are in the area.

Thanks, Tamnymore. Yes, I am only an hour away so well worth a visit. I haven't been there yet but I think it's close to Cloth World, the old Remnant Kins, I believe. I might go tomorrow, in fact.

I  just compared Liesl patterns pricing and it's basically £1 = one dollar so we already save on the exchange rate anyway if we buy from the USA - and then there's 40% discount on top. Plus shipping.

How do customs charges work? Does the postman give you a slip to pay customs when he delivers the package? What percentage of total cost is paid to customs and how do you pay them? I don't mind paying thrm if I would still make out with this 40% coupon.

Sewbee

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 19:32:36 PM »
Do they have a Uk website? I think as their codes are always for purchases through their website rather than from resellers there's no difference in policy between the countries. I presume if you went into a fabric shop in the USA that carried their patterns there would be no discount either and the only way to use the coupon is on the website. The same way if say a Tilly and the Buttons pattern was on sale via Tilly's website there would be no requirement for a shop selling Tilly patterns to honour it.

I think that's probably how it works. Buying from their website with 40% off seems a good deal, though.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 19:36:28 PM »
Yeah I'm very tempted but I still have some I haven't made out of my last splurge!

I know here the postman won't hand over your items unless you pay at the door and there is a handling fee charged by An Post (Irish postal service). I you can't pay at the door (they only take cash here) you can just pop down to the sorting office and collect it from there with the money.
2018 fabric used 12m.

Sewbee

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 19:53:37 PM »
Yeah I'm very tempted but I still have some I haven't made out of my last splurge!

I know here the postman won't hand over your items unless you pay at the door and there is a handling fee charged by An Post (Irish postal service). I you can't pay at the door (they only take cash here) you can just pop down to the sorting office and collect it from there with the money.

Ohh but you have to take advantage of the sale! ;)

I like the Gallery Tunic and the Cinema dress and ... :D