The Sewing Place

Bobbins!

NextMove

Bobbins!
« on: November 23, 2017, 08:29:25 AM »
This is such a basic question, Im almost embarrassed :)

What do the holes on a bobbin mean? Ok shoot me now...............

Efemera

Re: Bobbins!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 08:48:43 AM »
I’ve never really thought about it...but maybe just to keep the weight down.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 08:53:56 AM »
I just thought it was to differentiate between different classes of bobbins for different machines....  I'll see if I can get some more information.

I know there is a small hole on the side, where you are supposed to thread your thread (?) for winding the bobbin, but I never do (I can't usually see the blessed thing!)  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sewbee

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 08:55:34 AM »
That's a very good question but I know they are relevant. When I had my beloved Bernina 930 sewing machine in America I had to use solid bobbins initially but when the ones with the holes came out I was told it was okay to use those, too, so I thought the holes must be a design feature. When I recently bought the Bernina 570 I was told I MUST use the bobbin with the holes and, not only the ones with holes but the ones with the roughened up core. I am not sure what the holes do but perhaps they latch on somehow to the inner workings of the bobbin holder. As for the roughened core I can only determine it is to hold the thread more securely while winding a bobbin - but I never had any trouble with the smooth core so I tend to think this might be a gimmick.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 09:04:10 AM »
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

NextMove

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 09:16:04 AM »
Thank you b15erk.

From that article, it looks to be different holes for different machines maybe. My Mum had two types (looking at article) the class 66 and the L style.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 09:21:39 AM »
Most of us with Vintage machines are used to having a variety of bobbins, but it must be daunting for a novice NM.

Just check your machine manual for the correct bobbin.

I have bought second hand machines with various types of bobbin in the drawers.  Us Vintage owners don't throw them away, as we probably have another machine that they will fit.

What machine do you have btw NM?  Not that I'm nosey at all.... :|

Jessie

NextMove

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 09:37:50 AM »
Looking at the book it looks like the bobbins with no holes (except the little thread one)

It is my Mums 1952 Singer 201k in enclosed cabinet number 51. She recently passed away and as I, sadly, have no way of keeping it, so it's for sale. I have the original singer book and lots of accessories, a few with the original leaflets.
There was also a box of bobbins, two types, as I said.

This is  a sad time and Im hoping it goes to someone who will use it.

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 09:41:59 AM »
What a shame NM, so sorry about your mum, you must feel her loss acutely.

The Singer 201k is an excellent machine, and you should be able to sell it easily, especially if it has plenty of bobbins and attachments.  I have 2 of these machines and they are superb.

Hope you find a buyer who will love her.

Jessie

NextMove

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 10:17:48 AM »
Im staying at Mums house, it's full of memories, the majority being happy, but it's hard going through al her (and Dads) things. They never got rid of anything, from poor backgrounds they repaired not replaced!

arrow

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »
For class 66 bobbins there are at least three different types. The oldest I have that can be dated for sure is 1934 and I have exactly the same bobbins in my 1955 201. This type is put together by several parts of metal, very finely made,  and the best ones I have. There is a tiny pin hole on each side for the bobbin winder.

The other types are made of one piece of solid metal, probably in a lathe machine or something like that. The older type ahs only the tiny pin hole for the bobbin winder on each side. The brand new ones I buy these days are very shiny and polished, made out of one piece of metal and have three extra holes on the side. The new plastic bobbins called Apollon are the same as these, all are sold as class 66 bobbins, they all have curvey sides.

Class 15 bobbins have distinct holes on the side,  I think they are there to identify them easily. Elna metal bobbins have holes on one side to make it easier to wind and know which way it goes in the bobbin case. They have a groove inside the "hub" to click in place on the bobbin winder. The differences can have a function and not just  for easy identification.

NextMove

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 11:50:12 AM »
Here is a photo, I thought only two different ones, but there are three. All the same on the other side.

rowe1311

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »
For class 66 bobbins there are at least three different types. The oldest I have that can be dated for sure is 1934 and I have exactly the same bobbins in my 1955 201. This type is put together by several parts of metal, very finely made,  and the best ones I have. There is a tiny pin hole on each side for the bobbin winder.

The other types are made of one piece of solid metal, probably in a lathe machine or something like that. The older type ahs only the tiny pin hole for the bobbin winder on each side. The brand new ones I buy these days are very shiny and polished, made out of one piece of metal and have three extra holes on the side. The new plastic bobbins called Apollon are the same as these, all are sold as class 66 bobbins, they all have curvey sides.

Arrow this helps me try and understand why lots of the class 66 bobbins are different.  I ordered some more bobbins from Helen Howes and she only had used ones for sale, but told me that the old ones are better than the new ones.  I haven't played with them yet, but when I look at them they are all slightly different.  Some are marginally taller, some with flatter sides and others more curved.  I am worried that not all of them will work well in my 201 as I have had problems with some old bobbins in this machine in the past. 

arrow

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 19:21:05 PM »
Helen Howes had the new type last year, at a better price than the old. The new ones are just as good when they are right, the reason why they have a bad reputation is they aren't always polished off as well as the old. My worst buy was a set of 12 bobbins where I had to throw out half of them because they would not go on the winder. The inside of the hubs were too rough and not polished, and just would not go onto the winder. Others have had different complaints, and I guess it all depends on the productioin. It should be possible to improve on it even in China, maybe there is hope. I wrote Apollon for the plastic bobbins, but I think  Apollo is the correct name, (son of Zeus either way).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 19:23:03 PM by arrow »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 22:08:50 PM »
Interesting stuff!  I still have to remember to call it a "bobbin" - my mum always referred to them as "shuttles" and therefore so did(do!) I.