The Sewing Place

Monica Tomb Costume

Missie

Monica Tomb Costume
« on: November 23, 2017, 09:49:28 AM »
I'm currently in a play; its a murder mystery meets the Addams Family comedy, set in current day..  My character is a flamboyant writer who is over-dressed by everyone's standards (I am travelling in the play).  Here is my costume, a 1950's style dress.  I used a pattern for the bodice and then changed the neckline, and the sleeves and the circle skirt is self-drafted.  It is a least a 1.5 circle skirt, probably nearer 2 as I have insets front and back and the hem is about 34ft (eek, eek, eek).

Now I am putting this here as it is shockingly made.  It doesn't fit me properly.  I don't have time to do a proper fitting on the costumes so I make a size 18, whereas ordinarily, I would cut a 14-16 and do and FBA.  The finishing inside is shocking, well there is no finishing at all and it isn't lined.  I machine-hemmed it and didn't bother changing from the red thread when I hemmed the black bit.  As far as I am concerned, people are about 10-15ft away and won't see that and it will only be worn for this week only.  And yet, people have been coming up to me asking me where I got my dress, that it is stunning, and can't believe I've made it, which tickles me no end as it is nowhere near the standard I would accept for a personal wardrobe item of clothing.  So gals and guys, no matter how bad you think it is, to the non-maker, they will think it fab!

b15erk

Re: Monica Tomb Costume
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 10:49:41 AM »
It's great Missie!  I always like red and black together.

The dancers always refer to the 10 foot (yard?) rule.  Which I think means that the audience is quite a distance away so is unlikely to spot any errors!

I love your work, and think you've done a great job.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 11:03:58 AM »
Oh, that's lovely!

I'd have to twirl in it....(probably while nobody was looking).

Sandra.
xxx

Missie

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 11:09:16 AM »
Oh, that's lovely!

I'd have to twirl in it....(probably while nobody was looking).

Sandra.
xxx

Thank you.....and I have a video of me twirling in it......after all every girl needs a twirly skirt!

Lollipop

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 18:25:43 PM »
Many of us are a bit over critical of things we make Missie, I know I am! I think its great and would love a swirl in it!! I would also love to be doing what you are doing in it too. I once attended a Murder Mystery weekend in York and it was the best short break I have ever had.  0_0
Was Sewnanny