The Sewing Place

How do you keep track of your sewing plans?

Sewbee

How do you keep track of your sewing plans?
« on: November 24, 2017, 09:55:38 AM »
Maybe it's because I browse patterns and fabrics on an iPad while sitting on the sofa but i am having trouble keeping track of the patterns I find that I would like to make, how much fabric they take, and the fabrics themselves. I've found patterns over a number of websites - mostly indie - and fabrics from a number of different sites. My mind is a jumble when it comes to keeping track of it all! I have link icons on my desktop - lots of them, intermingled with ones for duvets and bed linens!

Of course, this is the first year in the UK where I've actually been at a point that I can sew - not having sewn for 10+ years! I'm getting familiar with new stores/sites that I hadn't heard of before so that confusion is probably adding to the mix.

I downloaded Evernote which is quite good but you reach the free monthly memory max FAST and I refuse to take out monthly subscription.

How do you all keep track of what you want to sew, whether it's garments or quilts? Maybe I just need a notebook to keep track of the pattern number, amount of fabric and type of fabric that I can take with me when I go shopping. Or, keep it in Notes on my phone, but that means moving it over from my iPad to iPhone and I don't sync between the two.

b15erk

Re: How do you keep track of your sewing plans?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 10:06:28 AM »
I've tried Evernote and Pinterest, but rapidly lost interest.  I have a couple of notebooks in my sewing room where I jot down measurements, pattern number etc. 

Mainly though, I keep my ideas in my head, which is full of useless stuff!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »
Keep track of sewing plans??   I don't really have any.   0_0.
I do use Pinterest and have different sections for garment ideas and inspiration and pattern cutting.
Fabrics I like I tend to bookmark on my iPad which carries over to my iMac as well. 

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 10:33:32 AM »
I hate Pinterest with a vengeance  :S but do have stuff saved on there that I can browse through for inspiration.  I also have bookmarked pages in various folders.  Mostly though it's good old pencil and paper.  I have an A4 book which gets all sorts (all sewing) stuff scribbled in it e.g.  pattern numbers that I might buy, notes on alterations when I make something, doodles for quilt layouts, all my measurements listed inside the front cover and amounts of fabric needed for various types of garments.  It's chaotic but I can find what I'm looking for eventually and, while looking, come across other things I had forgotten about.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 10:35:46 AM »
I love putting things on Pinterest... and then forget ever to look at them again  :D
Notebook and pencil for me  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sewbee

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 10:42:25 AM »
I think it'll be a notebook for me, too! At least that way I can track it all and it's portable.

I think I get confused because it's all new to me - again! It's like starting from scratch - and the overlap between inches/centimetres confuses the matter.

I agree with the comment about adding to Pinterest and then forgetting to look at it again.

My iPad must have 1,000 links in Favorites. I need to get rid of them all and just keep the sewing folder.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »
I think the very act of adding something to Pinterest or Evernote seems to re-inforce my memory, because I rarely go back to see what is in my Pinterest or Evernote files.

At least with pen and paper you only have one place to look!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 10:48:02 AM »
I keep a stack of about 4 or 5 fabrics on a chair next to the cutting table so I can "work through" them one by one.

Then I ignore the pile and do whatever I fancy.

Sewbee

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 11:02:34 AM »
I keep a stack of about 4 or 5 fabrics on a chair next to the cutting table so I can "work through" them one by one.

Then I ignore the pile and do whatever I fancy.

Love it, Fran!  :D that's a good way to acquire a stash which I badly need!!!! ;)

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »
No one needs a stash  :devil:.... decide on a project and just do it  :angel:
Mind you......... I think my sage advice falls on deaf ears in TSP  :D :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sewbee

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 11:12:43 AM »
No one needs a stash  :devil:.... decide on a project and just do it  :angel:
Mind you......... I think my sage advice falls on deaf ears in TSP  :D :D

I actually agree, Lowena, but I think I'd like to have two or three projects waiting for me but that's enough. I'd just hate to finish a project and have no fabric on hand to begin another.

I've seen photos of ROOMS full of fabric and I think that's silly IMHO.

Sewingsue

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 12:00:40 PM »
I actually agree, Lowena, but I think I'd like to have two or three projects waiting for me but that's enough. I'd just hate to finish a project and have no fabric on hand to begin another.

I've seen photos of ROOMS full of fabric and I think that's silly IMHO.
I remember seeing a pic of a sewing room in the USA which looked more like a quilt shop with shelves of fabric.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 12:05:34 PM »
I remember seeing a pic of a sewing room in the USA which looked more like a quilt shop with shelves of fabric.

That picture made me shudder. It's a sign of my sewing future!

I have slowed down my fabric buying a lot and sold some bits so that's good.

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 12:13:19 PM »
It's mostly in my head - along with all the other rubbish! Every so often I'll update an Excel spreadsheet with a new fabric or will delete one I've used. If you've lived in the same house for a while and you are knocking on a bit (like moi) then it's difficult not to acquire a bit of a stash (ahem - I hope that's not a photo of my sewing room or, rather, sewing eyrie, you are talking about). This is not helped by eBay and online temptations. It's definitely a good idea to have some stash but not overdo it. Working on the time honoured principle here of 'do as I say' not 'do as I do'.  :devil:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

fajita

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »
I don't really have 'plans' to keep track of.  I like to make definite ideas immediately. Other stuff as and when.

I have three recent patterns, one I made up with my daisy viscose fabric. The other two will sit and wait til I'm in the mood.

I have a collection of patchwork/quilting fabrics, but dressmaking fabrics I buy on a need/buy/use basis.
Therefore no need for notes.

Yesterday I made an apron for a friend at work. She asked in the week. I made on my day off.
Then I did the November BOM - which I have been trying to start since the beginning of the month, but kept getting put back.

In my head I have various 'ideas' I want to do. More dolls,, dragons, Mr. Finch type animals,  a fancy glittery frock for the dressmakers dummy to keep her looking glam between makes. A baby quilt for a baby due in December. But nothing that needs plans.