The Sewing Place

How do you keep track of your sewing plans?

Holly Berry

Re: How do you keep track of your sewing plans?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 13:29:02 PM »
I do have a stash of fabrics and patterns, but only for dressmaking. I love fabrics. Dressmaking is my passion and whilst I enjoy P&Q it is a pastime and a nice to do. I like to make blocks, never make quilts, so instead convert the blocks to bags, machine cover etc.

There is a dirth of quality dressmaking fabric locally and therefore I have to travel to London and so I buy for several projects at a time. Unfortunately life gets in the way, so a stash starts to take shape. Locally though there are a couple of places to buy quality patchwork fabric, so I can buy on a need basis.

When I buy dressmaking fabric I cut a small swatch and stick in a lever arch file, with fabric composition and amount, never price, I don’t need a reminder of how much I’ve spent  ;)
When I’ve made it up I record which pattern I’ve used. My sewing group from time to time has a fabric swap so I get rid of some then.
Procrastination get behind me

toileandtrouble

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 14:21:19 PM »
The advantage of a notebook is that you can take it in your bag and if you find your ideal fabric, you know what you need.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Samantha

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 14:22:45 PM »
I have a bit of a fabric stash and a collection of patterns (mostly free ones from magazines and charity shop purchases). Usually if I am making something for a specific occasion then I won't have what I need (how fortunate!!) so I'll buy for that project. The rest of the time I'll have a look through my stash and find a pattern to go with it.

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 15:50:25 PM »
I have a small collection of patterns and a mini fabric stash, so it's for me to just open the cupboard and have a look. :D  I have a folder on my desktop called 'out of print patterns'.  How about setting up a folder for patterns that interest you and post a picture of the pattern sleeve there.  You can always refer to the fabric requirements from a quick search.

Lollipop

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 21:59:46 PM »
I keep photos for inspiration on my laptop, my patterns are stored in boxes depending on what they are for eg Ballet tutus, skating dresses, tunics and probably a few of assorted crap! I do have a stash stored in an Ikea wardrobe with shelves and drawers for tutu net, lycra and loads of trim. I tell myself that it is to help my customers but truth be told I am a magpie!!
As for notes and measurements I use notebooks and pencil
Was Sewnanny

Bowerbird

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 04:13:14 AM »
You're supposed to have a plan?

maliw

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 08:37:39 AM »
Mine's a pile of fabric on the floor under the cutting table and another pile of patterns. then I have Iminei's brain  for P&Q for BOM, the rest I just make up as I go along. Yes I have a stash - enough said on that matter :|
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Sewbee

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 08:48:08 AM »
I have a small collection of patterns and a mini fabric stash, so it's for me to just open the cupboard and have a look. :D  I have a folder on my desktop called 'out of print patterns'.  How about setting up a folder for patterns that interest you and post a picture of the pattern sleeve there.  You can always refer to the fabric requirements from a quick search.

I think the problem is I use an iPad which makes it a bit more difficult. I have two computers but one is a desktop and the other is an old 17 inch MacBook Pro which is quite heavy for my lap. I keep it because it's portable and has a big screen which I need to edit videos - also the reason for the 27 inch iMac.

It's a lot easier to use a computer for organisation. You've given me food for thought, though. I could save images in the photos folder on my iPad instead of saving links on my desktop. I've been doing links up until now and have put them in a folder but when you have quite a few you can't tell which is which. Images might be the answer :)

Lyn-J

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 12:04:50 PM »
I store all my plans neatly and tidily in my brain - never to be seen again.
I don't make plans as I will change my mind, Sometimes I make very rough sketches on a piece of paper (think: fashion drawings done by a 3 year old) but that's as far as it gets. I have been known to take photos of my stash, that can be quite helpful, but I don't like evidence being around.

Roger

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 23:48:45 PM »
I tend to excel my projects and fabrics... currently I know my projects list exceeds my free time considerably so no more fabric or projects at the moment until I finish some :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

elephun

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 05:46:14 AM »
I keep track of the fabrics and patterns that I have on Pinterest boards. It makes it easy for me to look up/at what I've already got and match them up for projects. Sometimes I'll create a Pinterest board for a project, or a capsule wardrobe, including inspiration garments, pattern possibilities, fabric choices, etc. I plan lots of projects, but don't actually sew so many. It's fun and easy to see everything together on a Pinterest board, and just as easy to clean it up (delete!)

Efemera

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 09:21:30 AM »
Plan?... what’s that.

jen

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 13:01:28 PM »
Pretty much what Fran said. I've wasted hours cataloguing, filing, storing, pinning, favouriting. It never actually leads to finished work. Things get made either because I look at a piece of fabric and think 'What can this be' or because something needs to be made and I've rummaged through stash and found a suitable length.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 13:27:11 PM »
I'm another one that's a tad puzzled by the word "plan".  I either need to make something to wear now, see a pattern and need to buy and make it now, or see fabric and need to buy and make it now  0_0 0_0

Silver Rose

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 14:59:55 PM »
I have a special little sewing notebook which I always have in my bag or near to hand at home and jot down anything that I need to buy or for just looking for in the shops or internet. I always note down my purchases of fabric (with a brief description), patterns and habby stuff and at which shop although I mostly go to Anglian Fashion Fabrics in Norwich and am beginning to notice that even the price of thread and zips can differ from shop to shop.
By the way I'm on my second notebook in 5 years.  I keep photos of my best makes on my laptop and have been known to photgraph any fabric purchases on my phone while on the train home! Pattern storage is getting to be a problem now.
Still learning