The Sewing Place

How do you keep track of your sewing plans?

Roger

Re: How do you keep track of your sewing plans?
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2017, 00:12:43 AM »
I mostly go to Anglian Fashion Fabrics in Norwich

I go there a lot for a good look around and I love the Magdalen Street area for the vintage shops too!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

lakaribane

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 15:18:38 PM »
I don't really make plans, as such. Or very rarely.

Whenever a new Burdastyle comes out or the Big4 seasonal collections, I download the images to print out OR Pin them. (I also maintain Pinterest boards exclusively of Petite patterns as my Bonne Action of the year, for my  brethren).

Fabric stash has been out of control this year but it was a very stressfull and sad 2017 for me. I have 3-ring binder with small swatches of all my fabric with the pertinent info.

I need to decide on a system for my Big4 and PDF patterns. I'd started lists of both but I think I need to make another binder with images. Electricity is a problem in my country so offline options are necessary.

Sometimes these various lists meet in the middle but not often. I then either make a note in my Sewing Notebook (full of disparate info), print out the pattern image and anotate (taped to the wall above my machine), or pull out the actual pattern and fabric.

Yes, chaotic is a good descriptor.  :P

Vegegrow

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 16:24:05 PM »
No Plans and I'm very good at changing my mind when I 'm about to cut... I usually see a fabric and think top.. buy my length plus the length of my sleeves and it goes into stash the only time I buy with a pattern is if its for someone else... this is not a good system and I do forget what's in stash... :S
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Acorn

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 16:36:01 PM »
I hope 2018 is a better year for you lakaribane.   :)

I'm feeling a new year's resolution coming on...

My stash is mostly hanging on a freestanding clothes rail, using skirt hangers with clips, so I can see most of it.  My patterns are mostly pdfs, so are in a folder on my computers.

I'm thinking about a notebook (I have a few nice unused ones) with each page having a snippet of fabric, details of its composition (although I rarely buy anything that isn't at least mostly cotton) and suggested patterns.

I have a large stash, because fabric shops are few, small, and far between around here and I buy stuff when I see it.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Gernella

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2017, 11:58:43 AM »
For the first time this year I have done a List to keep track of what I've bought and what I intend to make, only this time I've used MS Onenote, then I can tick off when done.  I can also mark down what I need to replace.

Patterns, four stuffed trays, maybe a bit or organisation:  Tray 1, used and will never use again Tray 2, used but may use again, Tray 3 bought but not sure and Tray 3, using over and over again.

Older fabric, not that much  so I can more or less keep that in my head.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

lakaribane

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2017, 13:05:37 PM »
I hope 2018 is a better year for you lakaribane.   :)

Thank you, Acorn! I hope so too!

I recommend keeping track of notions as early on as possible. Like you, I have a stash mostly because I don't have a lot of good ressources nearby. Sewing is no longer in fashion (unless you have particular fit issues that can only be addressed by custom-made clothing). Instead, alterations are big, whether you buy new or used RTW.

Anecdote: one of the doctors who treated my father commented on my outfit and wanted to know if I did alterations. I said no.

My various stashes are out of sight because of all the dust. This is a very dirty city and I live right off a main road with a lot of traffic. So I can't even see my stuff.

I find the fabric binder very helpful. I file them first by woven or knit, then fiber content and/or purpose.

The real OCD part is that I keep the little swatches of the fabric used in pages at the back of the binder labelled "Sewn Fabric". I used to do this in pocket notebooks where I glued a piece of the fabric. This helped me to see that brown, navy and fuchsia were my most purchased colors back then, LOL!

if I have a queue of projects, I put them in large resealable bags, again for the dust managment but I include all the necessary parts: pattern, fabric, thread, zipper, buttons etc.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 23:15:57 PM »
There's a nice downloadable free sewing calendar which looked fun.
Its here
http://www.sewdiy.com/blog/free-printable-2018-sewing-calendar
I've downloaded it with no problems but not printed it out yet

mudcat

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2018, 03:00:58 AM »
I do Kanban using a spreadsheet.   I have a backlog column  where I add things I want to make.  I have three sub-columns under WIP (next, current, hold) and a completed column.  In Kanban one is supposed to limit the number of WIPs so I limit my next, current and hold to 3 each at a maximum.  You can arrange the columns anyway you want.  Some are simply ToDo, Doing, Done but I'm more detailed.  I also keep a separate tab on the spreadsheet with a column for each month and a list of items completed.

If you are not familiar with Kanban you can learn more about it here
http://kanbantool.com/personal-kanban-board

Sewbee

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2018, 07:56:00 AM »
I do Kanban using a spreadsheet.   I have a backlog column  where I add things I want to make.  I have three sub-columns under WIP (next, current, hold) and a completed column.  In Kanban one is supposed to limit the number of WIPs so I limit my next, current and hold to 3 each at a maximum.  You can arrange the columns anyway you want.  Some are simply ToDo, Doing, Done but I'm more detailed.  I also keep a separate tab on the spreadsheet with a column for each month and a list of items completed.

If you are not familiar with Kanban you can learn more about it here
http://kanbantool.com/personal-kanban-board

I have very vaguely heard of Kanban - I think! Need to learn more about this. Sounds very good indeed!!

PS: Just read more! That's the PERFECT tool!!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:57:33 AM by Sewbee »

Francesca

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2018, 13:42:13 PM »
I do kanban at work, it probably would be a great sewing idea but it would make me feel too much like I was working  :x

Though our Kanban motto stop starting start finishing would apply very well to my sewing :D

mudcat

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2018, 01:21:13 AM »
I do kanban at work, it probably would be a great sewing idea but it would make me feel too much like I was working  :x

8) My team attempts to do Kanban at work which is where I originally got the idea.  I thought it was perfect for a procrastinator like myself.

DementedFairy

C'est moi!