The Sewing Place

Bias binding width query

Vezelay

Bias binding width query
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:55:02 AM »
So I need double width bias tape for Simplicity 1499. Decided on a colour my local shop doesn't have so I'm buying it online. But I'm confused about advertised tape widths.

The pattern calls for 6 1/2 yards of 1/2" tape. So is that 1/2" width when the two edges are prefolded, but before it's doubled over? And if so, will it be called double-fold 1/2" (1.2 cm) tape on the website. Is there a general rule?

For example: I have bias tape that is 1 1/2" total width, but folded over 1/4" on each outside edge so the final measured width is 1", and when applied to trim a fabric edge will be 1/2" width (on each side). What would that be called? My guess is 1" double fold bias tape but am I right?

I know some of you can help me here (probably most of you  :|). I'm probably complicating this needlessly but I really don't want to end up with acres of stuff I can't use.

StitchinTime

Re: Bias binding width query
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 11:14:32 AM »
Looking at the pattern, I think there is about 1/2" of binding showing which means the bias tape you have that is 1.5" total width would be fine. The terminology is certainly confusing. I've had a look a few (UK) websites and most seem to describe the width from folded outside edge to folded outside edge.

At least on this pattern they have given the amount of tape required in yards/metres - some patterns give the amounts in packages which is of little use when trying to buy it off the roll.

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 12:03:48 PM »
That makes sense, Stich. So what you're saying is I should look for 1" double fold tape - which will fold into the specified 1/2".

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 22:40:34 PM »
Over here we tend to just have bias binding which is ready to be folded in half or whatever way you use it, so single fold.    Simplicity patterns being American use both terms as I guess they have both.  I've not seen double fold here.  It just means it,s folded again in the middle!   
As SIT says, the width is measured from one folded edge to the other.  If you turn the binding over you will see the raw edges folded into the middle!  It all depends what you're using it for!  Personally I make my own.  So the width is whatever it turns out to be! :)

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 20:06:20 PM »
@Ohsewsimple, yes, I think was muddled about what double bias tape actually was. I see now I should buy twice the width of the desired finished binding and just double it over. Thanks  :)