The Sewing Place

Tracing Paper

Sewbee

Tracing Paper
« on: November 24, 2017, 21:10:10 PM »
I forgot all about this. I want to trace my size off the master pattern rather than cut into it. I used to use a roll of medical bed paper which worked really well and was very cheap. I doubt the NHS would approve here so what do you all use?

Tamnymore

Re: Tracing Paper
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 21:41:26 PM »
I use Burda tracing paper. It comes folded with several quite large sheets in a pack. I usually get it from John Lewis or Abakhan but most fabric shops will have it or you are bound to be able to find it on ebay.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Francesca

Sewbee

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 21:47:56 PM »
I use Burda tracing paper. It comes folded with several quite large sheets in a pack. I usually get it from John Lewis or Abakhan but most fabric shops will have it or you are bound to be able to find it on ebay.

Thank you. I'll have a look for that. :)

Lollipop

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 21:50:00 PM »
For large patterns I use pattern paper that I bought on a roll from somewhere online (sorry not helpful but I think I googled pattern tracing paper or something!) and for small stuff I use parchment paper for baking from the supermarket. I use a lot of pdf dancewear patterns as I buy from the US and Australia and always need to trace them. I also like to hack patterns and don't want to spoil the original with my new 'design' :P
Was Sewnanny

Sewbee

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 21:57:04 PM »

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 22:18:03 PM »
Burda tracing paper...

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 22:32:04 PM »
I use Burda too - from Ebay

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 08:26:25 AM »
I use this tracing paper by Gateway, which I buy from an art supply shop.  It's the largest roll that I could find at the time and is ideal for big pattern pieces.

Hachi

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 09:10:36 AM »
Timely, I just bought a new roll for myself last week.

I, too, use the medical exam table paper that I brought with me from the U.S. When I ran out, I looked for an equivalent in the U.K. and I thought the "couch roll" was the same thing so I bought it. Well, I should have noticed that the description says "2 ply". It was basically a giant roll of toilet paper!

So after some intensive search on Amazon and Ebay, I ended up ordering the medical exam table paper from American Amazon. This one.
Even with the shipping, it was much cheaper than any other tracing paper.
It's not as wide as the "real" tracing paper but it fits well on my kitchen counter where I trace my patterns and it's 68m so lasts quite a long time. I can also use the scrap paper as a stabilizer.

Syrinx

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 09:52:37 AM »
I use Swedish tracing paper. The place I buy from is doing a deal today!

http://www.creative-industry.co.uk/

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 12:16:39 PM »
I have always used Burda but it is a nuisance having to unfold it and even iron it before you can use it - I would definitely buy a roll in future so thanks for the recommendations

SkoutSews

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 12:56:41 PM »
I use table cover paper, 2 huge rolls for around £20 from Costco. It feels like a lifetime's supply.  It's not perfect, but it does the job.
Of course, it can also be used for covering tables....

Holly Berry

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 14:07:28 PM »
I have always used Burda but it is a nuisance having to unfold it and even iron it before you can use it - I would definitely buy a roll in future so thanks for the recommendations

Agree it’s a pain. I now iron about 2 packs,so 10 sheets at a time and then roll it around a cardboard tube from a roll of fabric, which I asked for when I bought some fabric.

I’ve tried all sorts of paper as I always trace off my patterns, but like the Burda paper the best for making full bust adjustments etc, where you’re taping layers together and the closest to pattern paper.It would be fantastic if Burda put their paper on a roll.

I guess it’s about finding the right one for you. The medical paper sounds interesting though.
Procrastination get behind me

sewmuchmore

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 18:25:44 PM »
I use this http://www.tts-group.co.uk/dressmakers-squared-pattern-paper-80cm-x-15m/1005580.html
I have a packet of burda paper but i find it too thin. Does anyone want it?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet