The Sewing Place

Quilting around negative space

Ellabella

Quilting around negative space
« on: November 25, 2017, 16:06:36 PM »
I am quilting a baby quilt for a new GN.

I thought I'd try to quilt around her name with very close rows of stitching, leaving the name as negative space.

It was not a success :'(.

I' m in the process of pulling out the stitching |O |O.

Now I will put something else in the space but will be left with a block with lots of little holes in. Will these close up when I wash the quilt do you think?

arrow

Re: Quilting around negative space
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 16:47:27 PM »
On cotton fabric it almost always does, unpick carefully and don't snap any threads in the weave ( I know you know it very well but I just had to say it). When I read negative space I first thought of Henry Moore and his statues with holes and curvey forms. Negative space letters are a fun game, but you might have to draw it out more in detail before you stitch anything to get it right.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 17:47:35 PM »
Yes it will, as will a hot iron maybe with a lil steam.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 22:37:43 PM »
Dab the holes with a little water, or use a spray mist then pat with a dry cloth. The little holes will close over, or as you asked.....when you wash it. It'll be fine. :)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

maliw

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 10:53:27 AM »
I gently rub over holes with the point of a pin, it brings the threads back together .
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 14:25:45 PM »
Well its all out and it doesn't look too bad.

Next time I will try with a single inital instead, I'm often too ambitious ><

The varigated thread I was using was not the best choice either.

Off to requilt with a simple motif, I don't want heavy quilting on this quilt as it will make it too stiff, plus if I don't get a wriggle on the baby will be grown up!