The Sewing Place

First attempt at Colour book

Sheilago

First attempt at Colour book
« on: March 08, 2017, 19:47:35 PM »
Have just finished my first attempt at making a colour book. Great fun and another use for all those scraps! I copied one I'd seen online, though it took a bit of thinking out as I didn't have instructions. Has anyone else tried making these?I've seen number versions and 'activity' books which look like good fun to make.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 19:49:40 PM by Sheilago »

rubywishes

Re: First attempt at Colour book
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 20:31:10 PM »
I've never heard of making a colour book...it looks terrific, what a great idea! Well done you!  :toast:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lantana

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 23:01:10 PM »
What a lovely idea! You figured it out perfectly well done! 

L X

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »
I've never heard of it either >:) What do you do with it? :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

ajuga

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 12:52:46 PM »
What a brilliant idea and a fun project for using the scraps.

shadykittykat

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 13:11:14 PM »
What a lovely book, I'm assuming the ring is to clip it to a pram/pushchair?

Kate
Kate
Running, sewing, eating

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 22:05:39 PM »
Hi, yes it's for a very young child to look at. The ring is sold as a teething ring, but I thought it would be useful for attaching it to a pushchair. There is a page for each colour: red, orange, yellow, turquoise, green, blue, pink, brown and black/white. The photo just shows the front cover and two of the pages. The idea is that you just sew your scraps randomly together and then size it into an 8" square. Hopefully there are interesting bits and pieces and pictures for the child to look at.
I love scrappy quilts and have lots of fabrics and scraps , so this was a useful little project for me. It might not be of use to you organised,tidy people :angel: who dispose of spare fabric as soon as you're finished.  0_0

fajita

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 22:09:35 PM »
Have you incorporated different textures, smooth and silky, ridged cord, soft and woolly etc?

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 22:14:32 PM »
Yes, I tried to. I have plasticised cotton, fleece, toweling, cord, satin, fur fabric , broderie anglais and crinkly insulbright wadding on one page.

fajita

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 22:20:21 PM »
I bet it's going to be well loved.

Sheilago

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 22:22:35 PM »
I see we have the same machine Ajuga. Your cat certainly seems to like it!

Lantana

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 14:56:28 PM »

I love scrappy quilts and have lots of fabrics and scraps , so this was a useful little project for me. It might not be of use to you organised,tidy people :angel: who dispose of spare fabric as soon as you're finished.  0_0

I love scrappy quilts too Sheilago and never throw any useful pieces away. We hoarders can be as well organised and tidy as much as the throwers away. At one time I even cut up the scraps ready into optimally sized squares and triangles. I even know where they are ready and waiting (alright they have been there a long time lol). That's why I so loved your book! <3

L x

ajuga

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 14:55:21 PM »
I see we have the same machine Ajuga. Your cat certainly seems to like it!

She does Sheilago. Poppy appears as soon as the cover comes off!

maliw

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 17:46:19 PM »
What a great idea Sheilago. I've made the soft books from panels for the GC but never thought of making one from scraps. How long did it take to make?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 19:23:08 PM »
I've not heard of this but what a great idea.  You made a lovely book. :snip:
Willing but not always able :)