The Sewing Place

My Knitting Journey HAS Finished I Fear

Lowena

My Knitting Journey HAS Finished I Fear
« on: November 28, 2017, 15:08:26 PM »
Well, over almost before it started.... the sorry tale  :'(
I knitted a bunny and a teddy ... knitting was fine but couldn't stuff evenly or sew the bits together properly ( joining to the body was the problem ).
Second idea... try some more toys or try an easy jumper for myself.
Found a really good sounding local shop ( on the industrial estate so my hopes sank a bit ) and ventured there this afternoon.....
tale of woe: overwhelmed by all the different yarns, needles, accessories so I sat on a sofa with a table full of patterns in front of me.......not one pattern was easy enough for me to even attempt. :'(
I can knit, increase,decrease, knit 2 together, pass slip stitch over, but I cannot, use a stitch holder ( what's that??? ) pick up cast off stitches to make neck bands ( ???? ) rejoin yarn previously cut off ( join to what??? how??? ) or a million and one other things it assumes you can do to make the simplest jumper. Toys were not much better... so complicated.
So, I came home empty handed ( despite my flexible friend burning a hole in my purse ) and decided that knitting now joins crochet,stained glass and jewellery making as crafts which are beyond me  :'(
Thanks for all your helpful suggestions, you didn't reckon with me being such a Grade One Numpty....I'll slink back to The Dark Side and lick my wounds  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Francesca

Re: My Knitting Journey HAS Finished I Fear
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 15:26:19 PM »
Can't use a stitch holder? Did you try?

A stitch holder is just a piece of plastic usually, or a stick, and all you do is slip the stitches onto it and that's it. I'm sure you can do it. If you can knit, you can use a stitch holder. If you can put hula hoop crisps on the ends of your fingers, you can use a stitch holder.

Picking up stitches isn't hard either. It takes practice to space it out better but you can do it as a beginner easily. Did you try?

The wonderful thing about knitting is that if it goes wrong, you just unravel and start again.

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 15:35:21 PM »
A stitch holder is like a giant safety pin.  I'm sure you'd manage.   :)  As for picking up stitches, there's bound to be a YouTube video.  IMHO, a jumper would be simpler than toys. 

There are plenty of us here who would be happy to help you if you came unstuck.  Had you found a pattern you liked?

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 15:35:38 PM »
Lowena, don't be sad. I think knitting is one of those things like Marmite which you either take to or don't. It was the one thing I could never get on with. I could sew, crochet and even do some upholstery, but knitting was anathema to me. For a start I couldn't stand the clicking of the needles against each other.

My solution (not necessarily yours though) was to get a knitting machine. I took to that like a duck to water and even became a store demonstrator for the company - teaching customers as part of my job. If it's any consolation, I found that experienced hand knitters, on the whole, were the people who took the most teaching to use the machine - it's a whole different array of techniques and they were reluctant to switch from one to the other.

Cheer up and plunge into something you know you're good at!

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 17:13:24 PM »
I learnt to knit after a fashion years' ago but when I tried to take it up again, found that I had lost the knack completely despite having some refresher lessons.

Snowgoose

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 17:50:45 PM »
Lowena, why not try this http://www.belindaharrisreid.co.uk/diamond_baby.html so lovely as a wrap in the evening.

You CAN do it  :) everybody here is rooting for you and we will all help you  :)

Find a very easy scarf pattern and some super, luxury wool and you will feel so proud and happy when you have made something gorgeous for yourself  :)

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 18:32:11 PM »
Thank you all. Fran, I don't haven't tried a stitch holder because I don't / didn't know what one is ( thank you for the explanation Pearl )
I'm useless with YouTube / Craftsy as I am not a visual learner. It all just wafts past me  :| I need clear, concise, step by step instructions. I always read instruction books for everything and can never deviate from a recipe.
I have a need for a long jumper, which is where I got the idea, and I would love to make toys ( I know not why )
Perhaps a scarf is the way to go even if I feel like a 5yr old  :| Do I need a pattern?  ;)
No, Pearl, I couldn't find a pattern without a very complicated neck band  :(
A knitting machine sounds both big and scary Greybird  ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 18:35:12 PM by Lowena »

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 18:35:06 PM »
What size bust are you? I can write up instructions for the jumper I posted in your other thread. I promise it's easy!

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 18:43:08 PM »
RTW size 16 - 41" according to both ASOS and my tape measure ( but I like a bit baggier to accomodate a t shirt) :).

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 18:45:18 PM »
OK I have that pattern I can scan it tomorrow at work and send it to you so you can get started, then I'll pop the book in the post when I have time (it's hard to get to the postie and I'm away this weekend).

But if you'd like to knit it, I am happy to help you along with it and I'm su re others will. There are a few stitches that might be new to you (knit front to back for example) but none are difficult and honestly, the best way I find with knitting to learn is to try because it always sounds more complicated than just sticking the needle in and doing it.

And if it all goes wrong, send me the yarn and I'll knit it for you on my commute  ;)

Edit: If you want to get shopping, the jumper requires 865m of aran weight wool, with a tension of 14 stitches and 20 rows to 4".

You'll also need 5.5mm circulars, 4.5mm circulars, some stitch markers and possibly a stitch holder through scrap wool works too.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 18:50:09 PM by Francesca »

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 19:03:29 PM »
Thanks so much Fran.....even if the last bit sounds like a foreign language  :D ( stitch marker, front to back  :o )

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 19:08:52 PM »
Stitch markers are little dangly decorations that go on the needle to help you keep count easier.

Lyn-J

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 20:51:01 PM »
Well, over almost before it started.... the sorry tale  :'(

Oh, do give it another go! We're here to help if there is anything you don't understand.
Remember when you started a different hobby and  you didn't understand everything at first and now it all comes as second nature - well knitting will be like that.  I'm surprised the shop didn't give you more help. There are videos and tutorials online. I used the Golden Hands Part Work to learn, but I'm sure someone can suggest some good books.

Here's a link I hope helps.

Ellabella

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 21:00:15 PM »
Aren't people here lovely and supportive. :toast: :loveit:

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 21:56:37 PM »
Think of it this way - there is actually only one knitting stitch same as you get if you make a chain with a piece of yarn and your finger. (purl is just plain done from the back)
All knitting, even complicated looking arans and lace, is just doing things with that one stitch.
Life's too short for ironing.