The Sewing Place

My Knitting Journey HAS Finished I Fear

Francesca

Re: My Knitting Journey HAS Finished I Fear
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 22:45:31 PM »
All knitting, even complicated looking arans and lace, is just doing things with that one stitch.

Yerp, one stitch at a time. Even if it takes you ten minutes to figure out that one stitch, it's progress.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 19:15:49 PM »
I have an earlier edition of Montse Stanley's Knitters' Handbook. It has been revised and updated in several editions
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knitters-Handbook-Comprehensive-Principles-Handknitting/dp/0715312863/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511982665&sr=8-1&keywords=montse+stanley

It explains all the weird stuff you don't understand, in words and diagrams you can.

Surest1tch

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 21:45:36 PM »
Think of it this way - there is actually only one knitting stitch same as you get if you make a chain with a piece of yarn and your finger. (purl is just plain done from the back)
All knitting, even complicated looking arans and lace, is just doing things with that one stitch.

Exactly

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 11:16:44 AM »
Thanks DOB
Triumph of hope over experience :D

LeilaMay

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 10:16:20 AM »
My favourite beginners scarf is extra long, and then turned up at either end to make dangling pockets :) Great for those of us who can't be bothered to knit gloves. Keep going Lowena, if you want to, you CAN do it.
Best wishes

toileandtrouble

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 11:59:14 AM »
Stitch markers - I have kept the little coloured rings from my electric toothbrush. I intend to mark the beginning of the round next time I do a sock - If I put it after the first stitch, it shouldn't fall off - is that what one is supposed to do?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Deafoldbat

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 19:03:17 PM »
I intend to mark the beginning of the round next time I do a sock - If I put it after the first stitch, it shouldn't fall off - is that what one is supposed to do?

Yeeess... But you'll have to move it each round or it will get knitted in.

Ploshkin

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 19:13:06 PM »
When you reach it on each round just slip it on to the right hand needle before knitting the first stitch of the next round.
Life's too short for ironing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 22:25:55 PM »
I wasn't going to knit it in, but I could imagine it dropping off as I turned the needles. Wouldn't second in stop that?

LeilaMay

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2017, 09:51:55 AM »
When I knit socks, I move the knitting around the needles as I go - um, how to explain?
Suppose I've got 60 sts on 4 needles - well I'd knit 15 - the allotted number - and then 1 more, and I'd do that every time I got to the end of a needle. So the sock would gradually shift round on the needles. Does that make sense? It stops lines of baggy stitches forming like ladders along the length of the sock, because the ends of the rows move along. SO the marker is never left at the end )I'd knit 2 when it got back to the end, to shift it onto the next needle quickly)

Can anyone explain that better?
Please?
:)

Kenora

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 00:00:38 AM »
That sounds a great explanation and very clear. It's a good idea too.  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

toileandtrouble

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 18:30:16 PM »
Today I got a thank you note, well, an email:
"Thanks for the hat o really love it and it goes great with my coat also it really keeps my head warm thx."
As his mother says, this is how the youngest generation write emails - in textspeak.  I'm just glad he likes it.