The Sewing Place

New consignment store in town

WendyW

New consignment store in town
« on: April 12, 2018, 18:53:25 PM »
We have a new store opening this fall that will sell only handmade items from within our state. Our town is known for it's many antique/made-over furniture and tchotchske stores and customer traffic comes from some very well-to-do parts of the near-by city. I'm going to sign a contract (and I'm happy with the terms- not looking for discussion on that aspect).  If you have done sewing for consignment or craft shows, what items have done the best for you, either in terms of amount sold, or return on investment? 

SkoutSews

Re: New consignment store in town
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 21:07:02 PM »
Now I can't help you at all with your main query, but I'm stumbling over the language/culture gap! Please can you explain what you mean by a consignment store? It's not a term I've come across before. 'Tchotchske' is also completely new to me.
Your town sounds like an active place with lots going on.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 21:40:23 PM »
I do craft fairs and to be honest people want stuff for nothing.... I gave up trying to sell my quilts, no one was will to pay the price which didn’t even cover the cost of materials. If you do sign up make sure you don’t undersell yourself.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 14:06:20 PM by Efemera »

WendyW

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 22:20:25 PM »
Now I can't help you at all with your main query, but I'm stumbling over the language/culture gap! Please can you explain what you mean by a consignment store? It's not a term I've come across before. 'Tchotchske' is also completely new to me.
Your town sounds like an active place with lots going on.

I'm frequently stumped by the Briticisms, so I'm happy to explain some Americanese!  A "consignment store" is when the owner does not purchase the inventory outright, but allows the creator to display it in exchange for a percentage of the price. It puts more of the risk onto the artisan instead of the store owner.

"Tchotchske" I believe is a Jewish word, and it refers to pretty little dust-collectors that serve no purpose other than looks or remembrance.

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 23:01:07 PM »
Thank you!

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 12:48:00 PM »
Never heard of a consignment store either, but as Effie says, people want something for nothing much so make sure you have some smaller / cheaper items on display
Triumph of hope over experience :D

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 13:28:50 PM »
I think the UK equivalent is probably a 'gallery' - arts and crafts?
Our local places have some beautiful big-ticket items on display, but also a selection of small, affordable items that are suitable for impulse-buying. I've no idea how that relates to overall income.