The Sewing Place

Block of the Month - December - African Queen

Iminei

Block of the Month - December - African Queen
« on: December 01, 2017, 08:37:03 AM »
Well Folks, December has rolled around and I'm surprisingly pleased that,
with the exception of August (for which I hope you can excuse me considering all things FoQ)
I did indeed manage to produce a Block Of the Month for each month for you!

I have really enjoyed it as I hope you have too!!!

So for the last time in 2017

I am delighted to announce

Decembers BOM

The African Queen

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dk0BhjDdU1xx9zxR2

Have fun with this super simple, super quick block, I look forward to seeing your creations ....

Oh, and do remember the BOM competition!!!

A special TSP Prize Winners Badge for everyone who makes each and every block,
and sends me a pic, by midnight on the 31st December 2017

Good Luck!!!!

« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 13:37:03 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

fajita

Re: Block of the Month - December
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
Thankyou, IMI. Looking forward to starting this soon. It will take second place to nativity costumes at the moment though.

Thankyou for the past year of blocks. It's been a fun learning experience. Your efforts are appreciated.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 10:14:27 AM »
If that's quick and easy then I'm in the wrong place. :D
It's a lovely block ( although it took me a while to see the lady  :| )
Thank you, thank you Imi for all your hard work throughout the year. The blocks are varied and excellent and the tutorials are awesome. Such a lot of time and hard work on your part. I'd like you to know, that especially by Mrs Numpty here who has only managed one block all year, your hard work is much appreciated.  <3
Even though I was unable to join in ( lack of talent rather than application ) I have looked forward to each new month and have read the tutorials assiduously.
Hope we have something to look forward to next year.... a sampler quilt perhaps  ;) if not by you, by someone equally dedicated and knowledgeable.
Good luck to those who have entered each month......more power to your needles  :D
Here's to 2018 ......
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »
Lovely block - now I just need to hunt through all my fabric for something suitable - might take me a while!  ;)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

maliw

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 14:49:42 PM »
Oh yes.  <3 <3 Thank you Iminei for all your hard work over the last year, you have given us new things to try and taken me out of my comfort zone. I think that doing these has brought us darksiders together - even those who haven't done all the blocks. :toast: As for you my friend - yes Lowena I'm talking to you, you can do this block because apart form 2 diagonal seams all the rest are straight ones. When will you stop beating yourself up, you can do it as we've seen in some of your photos. ;) I'm off to search the stash - I maybe some time.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 16:23:03 PM »
Nah, Mali... can't be fussed to do all that mini cutting out and as for those little half geese.... :S
I'll enjoy yours instead  :P

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 16:28:20 PM »
All finished  :D

I'm fairly pleased with it although if I did it again I would fussy cut the fabric for the right sleeve - I'd like one of the turquoise "arrows" to show on there, but that's being plain picky.

One minor point - the cutting measurements for the sleeves are a bit long. Iminei's excellent tutorial gives the sleeve pieces as 4 1/2 " x 1 1/2" but I had to cut 2" off each piece to get it to fit. Other than that, it's a very easy block - took me about an hour and a half to find the fabric, cut it out and sew it - and I'm a very slow sewer (sewist?). And, Yes, Lowena - you could definitely do this one. :) Sorry if I'm being a bit forward here (being a newbie) but it is a really easy block.

I enjoyed it. :)

ETA: It squared up at 10", so all good there too.  :D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 16:30:06 PM by Kenora »

maliw

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 16:57:40 PM »
That's lovely Kenora. Here's my effort, I've used fabric that I've used for other BOM squares. I agree with your comments about the sleeves and other than that it was very easy. It took me just over an hour and that included setting up the machine which I've just got back from a service so this was a test for the machine too. Thank you again Iminei.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 17:07:13 PM »
Both are lovely blocks, clever girls  :)
Don't worry Kenora, we don't stand on ceremony here, nor do we take offence  :angel:
( just as well, considering what some people say about "can't do hats" "broomsticks" and Numpty baiting" )  :D

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 17:19:28 PM »
Don't worry Kenora, we don't stand on ceremony here, nor do we take offence  :angel:

I'm glad to hear that, Lowena - but I do know what you meant about the mini-cutting pieces. They're a bit on the fiddly side.  :devil:

I was just so keen to make the block because it was my first real live BOM.  :D I know I did the November one but that didn't count in my mind because I was in "catch-up mode". It would be nice to think there'll be something similar next year although I know it's a huge amount of work for whoever's doing the tutorials.  :S

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 17:36:06 PM »
It would be nice to think there'll be something similar next year although I know it's a huge amount of work for whoever's doing the tutorials.  :S

Maybe we could do a block each and spread the load, if people wanted to do a sampler quilt.  Huge thanks to you, Imi, for all your work in bringing these to us.

Sandra

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 18:51:04 PM »

A lovely little block....AND it really was quick and easy.

Yes...I also noticed a slight error on the arm piece sizing. Thought I'd cut out wrong but it was easily sorted.

A big thank you to Iminei for taking the time and going to the trouble of giving us the BOM tutorials. I've thoroughly enjoyed doing them.
It'd be lovely to do something similar next year but DON'T feel that you have to do it Iminei if it's a load of hassle for you to take on by yourself. I appreciate the work you've put in to this for us.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 19:24:19 PM »
Apologies on the mis-measurement, I will sort that *

and tomorrow, enter a slew of BOM angels into the BOM HOF !!!!

Congratulations to you all on such beautiful blocks !!!

And we all seem to be making such well brought up and reserved African Queens !!

Myself, I think the proportions are better for the more reserved Queen ... but it always has been your choice!!

*** sorted ***   Thanks Girls!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 19:31:03 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

maliw

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 20:01:36 PM »
Oooh I like your main fabric too Sandra.

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 20:13:59 PM »
Fabulous fabric, Sandra - lovely block.  :D