The Sewing Place

Burdastyle 1/2018

lakaribane

Burdastyle 1/2018
« on: December 01, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »
Ok, any Burda fans here? I know there is one of you at least but the name escapes me right now.

I'm a huge Burda fan, just so you all know  :angel:

Ok, 2018 is starting off well, IMO because I love several dresses (what a surprise!) in the upcoming January issue. Here are the technical drawings and garment photos on the RU site:

https://burdastyle.ru/tehnicheskie-risunki/tekhnicheskie-risunki-burda-1-2018_13060

And model photos on the RU and UA sites:
https://burdastyle.ru/stati/pervyy-anons-burda-1-2018-/

https://burdastyle.ua/news/pershyy-anons-burda-12018-z-tehnichnymy-malyunkamy/

I think the Plus section looks really good but I am not in that size range. I do think the navy dress with gold piping is similar to a Big4 release, maybe Vogue? and on Lekala/Bootstrap! That double button pleated skirt is also a reissue in a different size range.

Ok, my favorites.WARNING HUGE PHOTOS AHEAD. SORRY!! :| :

Or Burda teaching you how to do a proper cut-on sleeve that fits! I love this soo much, it's already on the MUST SEW LIST of 2018!

I have a similar dress from an Indie brand, with the neckline gymnastics but the designer pissed me off by changing the bodice to a sleeved dress and wanting me to buy  the pattern all over again just for that new feature, no discount no nothing! Apparently, the one I have has been retired so I now own a fossil pattern. Really? Pass! Now, I can make another similar dress with my trusty and reliable Aunt Anna (my nickname for Burda, esp. in times of anger, LOL)

This one I am waiting for the magazine to see if the waist detail is added on or integral to the bodice pieces, I can't tell! But I like both the top and dress versions a lot.

I like the general design of this, though I don't typically tuck in my tops. But this is so beautiful! On the Maybe List!

What do you think of this issue?

lakaribane

Re: Burdastyle 1/2018
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:29:48 PM »

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 12:55:34 PM »
I like Burda patterns as I find that the fit suits me better than the Big 4 companies.  Burda are neater on the shoulders, many of the others seem to be designed for lumberjacks!

I've never used the Burda magazine patterns or even seen any of the issues.  On the evidence below, I should really take a look.  I like all of those designs.  I'll go Google.....

lakaribane

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 13:43:14 PM »
I like Burda patterns as I find that the fit suits me better than the Big 4 companies.  (...)

I've never used the Burda magazine patterns or even seen any of the issues. 

I like the reliability of the Burda fit. I prefer EU pattern magazines over US Big4 or Indie because they give all the measurements they use and it's that same basic block. Every time.

I don't know for sure but maybe you should look on the EU sites for single issue sources? I know in Fr that journaux.fr sells them, not sure in the UK.

I perso have a subscription from the US because the magazine hasn't been sold here since the earthquake in 2010 when the importer went bankrupt. And before that it was only five or six issues for the entire city/country!

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 14:11:44 PM »
Love this

but alas I am not the right shape for it. :(

@lakaribane: I use LunaPic for resizing images.  Did it with the pic above.

Samantha

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 14:39:17 PM »
I used to go into my local WHSmith each month, flick through the magazine and if there at least 4 things I liked buy it. I've made a couple from my mag stash, should do more really as I do like them although I find they come up big on me and I am cutting out the one that matches my measurements not the size I think I should be.

maliw

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 15:03:39 PM »
I love the coral coloured dress. I'm going to a wedding in May and that would be ideal, does anyone know if Burda have produced this as a pattern or is it just the magazine? I've looked on Jaycotts patterns but can't find it.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 16:02:39 PM »
This one I am waiting for the magazine to see if the waist detail is added on or integral to the bodice pieces, I can't tell! But I like both the top and dress versions a lot.

Looks like it is simply two pieces of fabric sewn into the side seams and twisted round each other, cleverly giving the garment its shaping.

Bobbinalong

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:33:51 AM »
Thanks for the links Lakaribane, I really like to see those clear modelled (but not modelled) photos of the made-up garment beside their tech drawings.  You can clearly see that one or two of the necklines make up wider than the tech drawings indicate!  I didn't know you could get to see a magazine preview so far in advance, I'm bookmarking that first Russian site for sure  :)  I'm another Burda lover, I have it on order from my local WHSmith, I love the consistency of sizing as others have said but must admit that I don't actually make that many garments up, they're great to keep as a resource for inspiration though.

Maliw, sometimes the garments from the magazine are produced as patterns but I don't think they are ever produced the other way around i.e. not pattern first then magazine.  You can however buy single copy PDFs of many of the magazine patterns around the same time as the magazine release from the BurdaStyle.com website.  But if you're going to consider doing that and the magazine is still available you may as well get the mag.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 09:58:06 AM »
MaliW, Burda patterns can be downloaded from their website as pdf files.  I know it means sticking together, but that is just a nuisance and is a lot quicker than browsing through the pattern books!

Just had a thought, my local fabric shop stock Burda, I could have a look for you if you like?  I'll make a note of the pattern number....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 13:40:35 PM »
Thanks ladies, I was in Chester the other day and looked at the Burdastyle magazine in WHS but couldn't see the dress. I don't know which date the magazine was. I've looked at the Burda patterns on line and couldn't find it either. Thanks Jessie for looking but don't worry if you haven't got the time.

Bobbinalong

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 13:55:59 PM »
Maliw the patterns posted above are from the forthcoming January 2018 BurdaStyle magazine.  It is probably not available in the UK yet but will be later this month

Lizzy777

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 14:51:01 PM »
Thanks ladies, I was in Chester the other day and looked at the Burdastyle magazine in WHS but couldn't see the dress. I don't know which date the magazine was. I've looked at the Burda patterns on line and couldn't find it either. Thanks Jessie for looking but don't worry if you haven't got the time.

You can buy a copy for £5.49 plus £1.50 p&p online from Unique magazines at present . It is the 1/2018 copy you want to purchase and it is available from 22nd December. I have used Unique magazines quite a few times and the magazines always arrive on time and in good condition.

Also, if you put Burda 1/2018 into google search, some more pictures of the patterns are showing (I noticed the Greece version was showing models with the dress on too).

Hope that helps.

maliw

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 19:34:41 PM »
Thanks for your help everyone.

Missie

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 11:13:55 AM »
Ooh, I'm liking those dresses and that coat that UR has shown is fab.  I might have to get this edition.  I love Burdastyle, but I cannot tell you how much I hate, HATE, tracing off their patterns!