The Sewing Place

Online Sewing Machine retailers - which one to avoid?

SingingSinger

Online Sewing Machine retailers - which one to avoid?
« on: December 03, 2017, 15:02:22 PM »
I seem to recall there was one particular sewing machine online retailer which got very poor reviews on TSF. Which one was it? It's annoying me that I can't remember! :sew:
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Ohsewsimple

Re: Online Sewing Machine retailers - which one to avoid?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 16:27:38 PM »
Coopers.  There is also another one of his under a different name but can't recall which.  Hopefully someone will.
Also Joys machines and I have a feeling they are now trading under another name.  Not just bad, but downright dangerous!

maliw

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 17:05:47 PM »
Read this
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.sewingmachinediscount.co.uk
Joys is now ACE Apparel and Equipment Ltd, from googling they seem to be selling on ebay too. Also using JSM and Apparel Equipment Global or AEG accoring to here
https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?130204-Just-Joined-Anyone-Here-Had-A-Run-In-With-Joys-Sewing-Machines/
although that was 2010 so may have changed yet again
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

SingingSinger

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 18:25:25 PM »
Thank you, wow those reviews are pretty damning!   :o
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 22:04:48 PM »
This is one of their businesses too.

FLC DISTRIBUTORS LTD t/a British Sewing Centre.

Best thing to do on a website is check the terms and conditions and look for the registered name of the business ( it has to be listed there) and then look on Companies House for information on the Company. You will then see that you can look at the directors who are part of the company and can easily check who the directors are. It is a free service to anyone.

Hope that helps. I think they may trade under other names too but I don't know for sure so you will need to make your own enquiries.

SingingSinger

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 22:19:47 PM »
Thanks all. I was searching for a good deal on a new overlocker but didn't want to get caught out buying from a dodgy dealer by mistake! If I do go for one, I'll stick to one of the companies that I know are tried and trusted.  :)

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 16:53:26 PM »
I've just been looking at a sewing machine on a site I'd never come across called Sewing UK.  I was going to ask if anyone here had used them, when I noticed something very interesting.  They have an online chat facility that is identical to the one on the British Sewing Centre website, even down to the name and picture of the person you are supposedly speaking to - and it appeared to be trying to continue a discussion I'd had with the British Sewing Centre earlier today (trying to get a bit of info about a machine - they gave me incorrect info, I assume they were guessing).

Another one for the list.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 17:18:39 PM »
Chat functions can often look the same on different websites because it's an off the shelf product added into a website. It's odd though about the previous discussion? Maybe something to do with cookies?

Not sure if they are the same people as the other lot or not, their phone number is very similar. Sewing UK is Highline Trading Ltd and is does seem to have different people than Coopers .

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 17:47:21 PM »
There are an awful lot of similarities in what's being offered on the websites.  They're both offering the machine I was looking at at the same price - and no other company is.  Both are offering a 15 year guarantee, with free servicing up to once a year.  Both are offering interest free credit over 3,6,9 or 12 months.  Both offer discounts if you phone or chat to them.  Both have the same promotional video for the machine that I haven't seen anywhere else.  And, as you say, the phone numbers are very similar (only the last two digits are different) - and both are London numbers, even though only the British Sewing Centre is based in London.

There's certainly some sort of connection between them.

The address given for Sewing UK is occupied by an import company based in Japan, but there is no apparent connection between Sewing UK and the import company apart from the address.  I can't find Sewing UK on the Companies House website.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 08:02:12 AM »
15 years guarantee is too good to be true - even houses don't get that.  That's possibly the biggest clue that the dealer is dodgy.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 08:31:56 AM »
If you're in doubt about them, then don't use them, especially not for a sewing machine.  I'm currently wondering about a website and some fabric I've ordered as I can't seem to contact them.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 10:16:02 AM »
Yes, I'm being good and doing nothing.  It's very frustrating because the only place I can find it at a similar price is Ebay, where I certainly wouldn't be getting a guarantee.

I don't need it anyway.  I don't.  I don't I don't I don't.

:sew:

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 10:35:28 AM »
@Acorn You can't leave us in suspense - do let us know what machine you don't need.

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 10:50:49 AM »
I'm slightly embarrassed because part of me has fallen in love with its looks, although it does have a lot of features that I would like to play around with - variable width control for one.  It seems to be very well equipped for the price (list is £599, dodgy sites are £349, other places £400-£450) and when I had a Toyota machine in the past I was very happy with it.

This is it.

StitchinTime

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 11:05:21 AM »
It does make a change from the usual boxy design of sewing machines - I was rather taken with the deep red version when that came out.

Edit: Was it the green and/or quilt version that you particularly wanted? Hobbycraft have the red, non-quilt version for £329.
https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/toyota-oekaki-renaissance-sewing-machine/634456-1000
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:09:30 AM by StitchinTime »