The Sewing Place

Online Sewing Machine retailers - which one to avoid?

Snowgoose

Re: Online Sewing Machine retailers - which one to avoid?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 11:13:36 AM »
Ooh!  :loveit: that's gorgeous!  You know you need, need, need it  :devil:

Please let us know how you get on.  I'm having to let my vintage collection go and will be looking for a new machine fairly soon - I like very much the Janome DKS30 but that Toyota is lovely  :)

Sewingsue

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 11:26:26 AM »
Ooo, a fire-engine red sewing machine  :D
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 11:50:34 AM »
Yes - the quilt version, and preferably in green/blue.  That one comes with an extension table and other extras.  The red one is much more widely available, annoyingly!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 11:57:07 AM »
Oh, Acorn, what have you done - I must resist, I must resist, I must resist  :S

StitchinTime

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 12:08:56 PM »
Ooh!  :loveit: that's gorgeous!  You know you need, need, need it
I had that machine for many years. I did indeed love it.

These are not the sort of replies that @Acorn wants to read. The forum icon for a modern sewing machine  ( :sew:) is not helping either.

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 15:36:28 PM »
Heeeellllllppppp....  :'(

The choices are:  Ebay 2nd hand, £255.
Ebay new but no guarantee (excellent feedback though), £299.
British Sewing Centre, £349
SewingUK, £349
Other places, £599

I've just been trying to persuade myself that SewingUK might be above board by looking at their Trustpilot entries... Overview isn't bad - 8.4/10.  But that breaks down to Excellent 66%, Great 3%, Average 0%, Poor 8%, Bad 24%,  and 58% of their reviews - all excellent - were made on May 13th and 14th.  Prior to that 9/12, spaced over 21 months, were poor or bad, mostly bad.  Something smells very odd there.

So it's looking as though I may have to forgo the manufacturer's guarantee, since it would effectively cost me the same again as the machine.

Efemera

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 16:06:01 PM »
I'm slightly embarrassed because part of me has fallen in love with its looks, although it does have a lot of features that I would like to play around with - variable width control for one.  It seems to be very well equipped for the price (list is £599, dodgy sites are £349, other places £400-£450) and when I had a Toyota machine in the past I was very happy with it.

This is it.

There’s one for sale on FB..

Snowgoose

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 16:21:36 PM »
British Sewing Centre have it in lime green  :sew: :loveit: oh my goodness!  I do like this, and it is cheaper than the Janome which was stretching my budget too far... must sit on my hands, must sit on my hands,  must sit on my hands  :D

Please let us know what you decide to do  :)

StitchinTime

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 16:27:36 PM »
@Snowgoose I'd keep well away from British Sewing Centre - it is Coopers in disguise.

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 17:10:25 PM »
It's not on Hochanda now, although I kept finding links pointing there.

Reader, I did it.  I went for Ebay.  It should be here by next Tuesday. 
:sew:I'm going to have to clear it a space... somewhere.  Let's see... I have one machine out in my sewing room, and another in the dining room...

BTW, Mr Acorn's contribution to the decision making was to say 'I'll buy something extravagant as well, and then it'll cancel out'.  (Both things coming from our own personal money.)  He is definitely an enabler!!

Snowgoose

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 23:20:11 PM »
@Snowgoose I'd keep well away from British Sewing Centre - it is Coopers in disguise.

Thank you very much :flower: I do love the colour but will not buy a machine from BSC.  I'll have to fall in love with a different colour  :) it's the stitch length embroidery function that I long to have!  Plus, the shape is just so much fun - I'm easily pleased  :D Still need to save the pennies a little while longer, but I think this will be the machine for me  8)

Snowgoose

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 23:26:51 PM »
"Reader, I did it.  I went for Ebay.  It should be here by next Tuesday."
:sew:

How exciting!!! You'll be glued to the window waiting for the postie  :D please put pictures on when it arrives  :)